How long do you expect your PCs to live?

Started by whitt, October 26, 2015, 01:56:50 PM

When you're creating a new character, establishing a background, setting goals, and visualizing an arc for your character's story - how long do you expect to actually be playing them to tell that story?

If my character makes a IC year, it'll be a miracle.
One to Two IC years (3 RL months)
Three to Four IC years (6 RL month)
Five plus IC years (up to a RL year)
A King's Age
Just curious as to how people view the potential story arcs of their characters right out of the gate.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I expect about 3 RL months but I average 9.25.

It depends on the decisions I make IC.

If I make IC decisions that I know are going to put me near enemies or within the grasp of known enemies...I don't expect them to live long. Usually these are short-term goal characters that I'm playing specifically to get a rush.

If I play smart I usually expect them to live a long time (they usually don't because of suck).

Sometimes I play smart and sometimes I intentionally player over-the-top risky for fun. It just depends.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I've actually never had a character die, so until I retire them?

Depends how hard I try to keep them alive.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 26, 2015, 02:34:38 PM
Depends how hard I try to keep them alive.

Ah, I don't mean how long do they -actually- survive.  I mean when you envisioned the character, how long did you expect them to be around?
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Seriously, nowadays I can make a PC live for as long as I want them to.

They usually die when I get tired of them, so by driving them head first into a 'met or simply storing.

It's been a loooooooooong time since I've been surprised by the death of a PC.

Some chick using their powerful IC character to kill mine because I "cheated" on them on AIM with another Arm character was the last legit death I can remember.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on October 26, 2015, 02:59:16 PM
Some chick using their powerful IC character to kill mine because I "cheated" on them on AIM with another Arm character was the last legit death I can remember.

topkeklulz
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Current one? Few months if I get lucky and a good stat roll. Last one? However long until I got bored.

I don't put expectations on the lifespans of my characters. That way only leads to despair and disappointment.

I expect my PCs to live for about 1-2 RL days after I get an sdesc/mdesc change or get something granted from staff.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on October 26, 2015, 03:56:26 PM
I expect my PCs to live for about 1-2 RL days after I get an sdesc/mdesc change or get something granted from staff.

True that. Also stat bragging.

I like taking young characters and seeing how long I can have them live.

So far when starting at sixteen or seventeen, none of have made it into their forties but I've been close!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I think my longest lived is 40+ days.  I am not one to play with minimal risk, as I find it boring. Sooner or later they all have to die so might as well have fun. Still, loosing a long-lived PC always comes with a great sense of loss and grief for me.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

My characters live a long-ass time, usually multiple IRL years.

I tend to get bored of them and think they're crap about halfway through, then eventually get interested in them again.

Depends on the character and how much efort I put into it. Like others I feel like surprising deaths come rarely. Though I did have one a couple months back. Not surprising it happened, it was just so sudden and unstoppable I had to have a laugh. But even then I was taking a calculated risk I knew might get me killed.

Players need to be more dangerous or something.

I tend to play hard, and play recklessly. I like to get involved in plots as soon as I can no matter how twinked up they are.

I just find it boring if there isn't even a little bit of risk. So I don't expect many of my characters to live past a year.

Normally I end up storing. Most of mine I plan to play for at least 2 years.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

QuoteRe: How long do you expect your PCs to live?

I don't.  Pleasantly surprised as long as they do, though!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I thought they meant RL years. I change mine to 1 to 3 IC years.

Nowadays I have no idea, the variation with survivability is pretty crazy. I expect mine to hit at least the 5-6 rl month mark now.