How well do you know the game-world ?

Started by theebie, October 20, 2015, 09:27:37 AM

How well do you know the game-world ?

Drop me anywhere, I'll be back in Nak before sunset
19 (27.9%)
I know most places and most routes, and will be able to find my way back to safety if I have to
22 (32.4%)
I know the well-known main routes between cities, but might get lost in deep wilderness
12 (17.6%)
There's some areas I know, and some where I'm clouless and might actually die
9 (13.2%)
I don't know many areas and if put someplace random, I'd be pretty much lost
5 (7.4%)
I'm really new to the game, and have no idea of where I am yet.
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

This is out of pure curiosity, feel free to participate or not :)

Best regards,
Theebie

I chose "I know most places and routes" because I don't know the simplest stupid route of rock formations between Luir's and Allanak, and there is one place I know of that I've traversed, but I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to escape it except out of luck. I spent about forty characters exploring the world, though, so I have a good sense of general direction.

October 20, 2015, 11:40:02 AM #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:39:29 PM by Refugee
I chose the second; though I think I'd find my way back from anywhere barring being eaten, I haven't been, for instance in every room on the silt or every room at the edges of the game world.

After well over a decade in this game I'm still hopeless at navigating the wilderness.   :'(

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 20, 2015, 12:17:13 PM
After well over a decade in this game I'm still hopeless at navigating the wilderness.   :'(

Next year will be the beginning of my second decade and I still get lost between Nak and Luirs semi-regularly.

Quote from: Narf on October 20, 2015, 12:48:50 PM

Next year will be the beginning of my second decade and I still get lost between Nak and Luirs semi-regularly.

You tumble into the chasm. As you awaken, eyes adjusted to the light, you find yourself staring into the fangs of a slavering grue.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

There are so many landmarks between. Luir's and Allanak I don't see how you can get lost unless you are RPing being lost or have no coded direction sense.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on October 20, 2015, 03:44:01 PM
There are so many landmarks between. Luir's and Allanak I don't see how you can get lost unless you are RPing being lost or have no coded direction sense.

There's a janky part somewhere along the route with several methods of getting past it. The lone c-elf is unlikely to pick the same route a person with a mount might.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: KankWhisperer on October 20, 2015, 03:44:01 PM

The main route is also not the safest one.  Going off-marker makes it less of a straight shot, but safer, hence why it's easier to lose your way until you're familiar with all of the area surrounding.

There are a few places in the game that I still have to explore.  I feel that only mages can explore these areas truly safely...but I will do it as a mundane.  I will reap the rewards.  Moo ha ha.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I would also like to say...adding zones to the game that are actually accessible would do a great deal to 'reseed' the mystery of the game to older players.  More secrets to find, more 'common sense' to figure out, more everything.  Finding new things revitalizes the wonder of the game, over and over...but in order to find it, I often have to take more and more risks.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Sand dunes seem like a good excuse to have mini areas uncovered and rehidden.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 20, 2015, 04:59:11 PM
I would also like to say...adding zones to the game that are actually accessible would do a great deal to 'reseed' the mystery of the game to older players.  More secrets to find, more 'common sense' to figure out, more everything.  Finding new things revitalizes the wonder of the game, over and over...but in order to find it, I often have to take more and more risks.

And then once they learn those areas, they'll complain about how stale the game is.

That's the trouble with discovering everything. Once you know it all - you're done learning everything new. And when they add something new, and you discover it, it's old and stale all over again.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 20, 2015, 08:59:40 PM

And then once they learn those areas, they'll complain about how stale the game is.

That's the trouble with discovering everything. Once you know it all - you're done learning everything new. And when they add something new, and you discover it, it's old and stale all over again.

That's acknowledged.  I didn't intend it as a fix...or even as a problem, so much as a gentle nudge that expanding the world itself as well as fleshing it out is always good.  More zones only makes things better.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 20, 2015, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on October 20, 2015, 08:59:40 PM

That's acknowledged.  I didn't intend it as a fix...or even as a problem, so much as a gentle nudge that expanding the world itself as well as fleshing it out is always good.  More zones only makes things better.

if I had the chance, and knew the lore better, I'd look to become a builder simply for this kind of thing. secret little zones that aren't annouced somewhere that could be found. From a rocky outcropping somewhere that nests a band of raiders..to a sinkhole that leads into some sort of interesting labryinth.

Adventure is great. Its not about discovering everything - its about the experiences you have with each character that make it fun. Its why I prefer to start characters rather untraveled and inexperienced :)

I thought I knew every corner of the world and then I started staffing, and saw just how much I'd been missing.

Quote from: Mordiggian on October 21, 2015, 12:51:32 AM
I thought I knew every corner of the world and then I started staffing, and saw just how much I'd been missing.
Banned for meta.

I used to be like this but after the past 2 years exploring and shit I'm fairly certain I can be dropped anywhere and figure out exactly where it is based on the 2-3 rooms around it.

October 21, 2015, 06:38:44 PM #17 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:56:23 PM by Inks
Quote from: KankWhisperer on October 20, 2015, 07:09:59 PM
Sand dunes seem like a good excuse to have mini areas uncovered and rehidden.

This. We could have the gameworld altered and ruins suitable to explore/rogue/raider hideouts and still have it perfectly IC. I would like to see more one-shot treasures (metal,magick etc) and such that are coveted.

I can finally find that hidden ass city that people keep rambling about....

Anywho.
Maybe make them like time limits~

You stumble across a desolate dune, but wait!, it moves out of the way revealing a semi-covered fortress...the sand is slowly reclaiming it. It looks to take about two hours.

Etc

I think mirage like oasis' or very faint markers showing up once every two IG years or something would be awesome
then some random fool comes across it and uncovers the lost 4th city state. DWARVES UNDERGROUND THIS WHOLE TIME!
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on October 21, 2015, 11:46:26 PM
I think mirage like oasis' or very faint markers showing up once every two IG years or something would be awesome
then some random fool comes across it and uncovers the lost 4th city state. DWARVES UNDERGROUND THIS WHOLE TIME!
With beards!

The stout, bearded dwarf says to the human soldier of Tektolnes, in archaically-accented mirukkim:
     "I am Urist Bucketforge, Hammerlord of Candleblessed.  Take me to your booze stockpiles.  Or else."

The stout, bearded dwarf unslings a massive lead war-maul from his back, steel plate armor clanking as he moves.

I feel like I've seen it all, I'm sure there's some small niche's I've missed but by and large I figure I'm in the top 3% of explorers. I do my best to give newer players the opportunity to see it all. Stumbling across that out of the way cave or waterhole for them to see and be excited about is one of the best joys of rangering with newb partners.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I feel like I've been everywhere an untrained mundane can go, but I'm probably wrong.

My guy in the Templarate tells me that we are not dealing with a student here, we're dealing with the professor. Any time the Arm of the Dragon has an operation that can not fail they call this guy in to train the troops. He's the kind of guy that would drink a keg of ocotillo spirits just so he can piss in your camp fire! You could drop this guy off on a silt sea island wearing only a Blackwing thong and tomorrow afternoon he would show up in your apartment with a million 'sid smile and a fist full of diamonds! This guys a professional, you got me?
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.