Memories of the Tuluki

Started by deathkamon, September 27, 2015, 08:01:54 PM

September 30, 2015, 12:12:22 PM #25 Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:14:01 PM by Refugee
Quote from: Quell on September 29, 2015, 08:15:28 PM
Awww, I remember Niall. He was my very favorite Byn sergeant! So incredibly unbelievably organized (seeming at least).

I have vague recollections of spreadsheets being made to pinpoint the actual start time of RPTs based on the in game times they were at.

I wanted to add, Niall was the son of a Kadian crafter and an officer of the Legion, who had been raised in wonderful circumstances in the Tuluki Kadian compound, and groomed since birth to follow his father and grandfather into the Legion, earmarked for an officer.  Very different than most his comrades.  His parents were dismayed when he ran off to join the Byn for adventure.  And even more so when he decided to stay.  Most his service after his runner year had been basically as a aide de camp of Byn officers, since he could operate comfortably among the Tuluki upper crust.  This is ICly why he was so organized and always a little bemused by the realities of Byn life at the bottom of the pile.

I never played a single person in Tuluk worth mentioning.   :-[
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I played a terrible musician non-bard named Yuri. Born of rich merchants, he had tried to get their attention by being as raucous and non-Tuluki as possible, ultimately backfiring when they were forced to disown him to keep their connections. He was basically the anti-Tuluki, loud and expressively honest at all times. He was terrible at everything he did, and compensated by just doing them louder. With no practical skills, he ended up joining with Kurac in an attempt to get sponsorship for his wandering group of equally terrible minstrels. As luck would have it one of his bosses Goldy was equally tone deaf and loved his "music." She even played with him once in a duet that likely cleared the rats from the walls, and gifted him with his nicest instrument.

He had a little band going and played a few gigs, and was even happily and enthusiastically used by the agent that followed Goldy as a subtle middle finger to Tuluk when he was given permission to play a non-bard approved gig at the Tembo's Tooth.

My most memorable moment with him was a spontaneous rhyme-battle that spawned between him and a Tan Muark trader in the Poet's circle.

Quote from: Narf on September 30, 2015, 12:54:35 PM
I played a terrible musician non-bard named Yuri. Born of rich merchants, he had tried to get their attention by being as raucous and non-Tuluki as possible, ultimately backfiring when they were forced to disown him to keep their connections. He was basically the anti-Tuluki, loud and expressively honest at all times. He was terrible at everything he did, and compensated by just doing them louder. With no practical skills, he ended up joining with Kurac in an attempt to get sponsorship for his wandering group of equally terrible minstrels. As luck would have it one of his bosses Goldy was equally tone deaf and loved his "music." She even played with him once in a duet that likely cleared the rats from the walls, and gifted him with his nicest instrument.

He had a little band going and played a few gigs, and was even happily and enthusiastically used by the agent that followed Goldy as a subtle middle finger to Tuluk when he was given permission to play a non-bard approved gig at the Tembo's Tooth.

My most memorable moment with him was a spontaneous rhyme-battle that spawned between him and a Tan Muark trader in the Poet's circle.

I remember Yuri. He was a really fun character. All the Kuracis loved him. A character I played that met him thought he was always up to no good.  Thought he was a no-good Southie lover. Guess he was right haha
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

I had quite a fun time playing a bard name Raziel who was a partisan of a long lived Hlum noble at the time. My bard was also a closet sorcerer with an imaginary friend who taught him the secrets of magick ala "A Beautiful Mind". It was fun times.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Narf on September 30, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Dat shirt though...
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Also, my char was... and I'm terribly ashamed to admit it... Chaser, the Akai. I was still very newb to everything and she was my first Tuluki char. Aon's player may remember her. He was the last one I contacted over the Way before she died to quite an exotic animal.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: slipshod on September 29, 2015, 10:06:46 PM
I have a lot of fond memories about Tuluk and my time there.

I played a Lirathan Templar named Isatep Mrenteki.  I considered posting a week or two ago in a thread elsewhere on the GDB about asshole characters.  I definitely played Isatep as an asshole, though she'd never tolerate being referred to with such crass terminology..

I was Rancid, the wretched, ashen-eyed half-giant.. I didn't think you were an asshole, the 6 half-giant NPCs you ordered to kill me on the other hand, THEY were assholes. :)

So many years ago! Good times!

Quote from: Iiyola on October 01, 2015, 01:22:00 AM
Also, my char was... and I'm terribly ashamed to admit it... Chaser, the Akai. I was still very newb to everything and she was my first Tuluki char. Aon's player may remember her. He was the last one I contacted over the Way before she died to quite an exotic animal.

I remember Chaser!  But I didn't peg you as a newb.  Of course I was a newb too...

The Minstrel Royce

This was a near max age character who ended up being a partisan to a Faithful Lady who was offed by Henn in the back of the Sanctuary leaving him to the wind. He was always performing in the Sanctuary performing little diddies and stuff although at the time I wasn't aware of the bardic circles pressure in this regard and it never really manifested he did end up becoming an Irofel bard, but he wanted to be a Driamusek. Sadly he was so old even Olide was like, no way you'll die before you ever make bard. He actually formed a crafting and spy crew for the Lirathan Order because he was trying to join Musadir as a lifesworn to the order and not just a single Faithful (job security yo).

He was executed for being a traitor, I believe.

Sum Elek of the Liran Tamar

This was a family role I wrote up, fun, little incestuous but all elves all really? I mean you call everyone cousin all the time  :o ... Anyway the point of the family was to go off and try and be a compliment to the Akai Sjir and they were actually nomadic shifting between Luirs and Tuluk every few years so they didn't step on anyone's toes so much that they got targeted. Didn't work out though! Aside from being a general troublemaker, Sum was probably the least interesting member of the family as one of them was the one who made the infamous endless Tuluki breadbowl stew. It was originally created as an audition for Raleris Winthorol's support as a meal for soldiers to carry into the field against the kryl because of terradine poisoning.

Elrum "Banished" Irofel

Probably my best known Tuluki character and certainly the longest lived. He was disbarred (disbarded :P ) from the Circle after revealing to Raleris Winthorol that Tenneshi had spiked an audition and ol Raleris got hotheaded and mentioned shadow arting a Master. Elrum told the Masterbards and they were none to pleased. Later he was in shit with Kadius for the sum of 10,000+ sid in slander recompensation which eventually led him to being Banished... I mean it could have also been consorting with Gypsies, posing as a Muark at the Nakki arena games (named Tambura), generally running around and doing things well above his rank. He helped Faithful Dalen setup the volunteer patrols and later the Citizens call which was handed off to Aon who was also his star protege since Elrum taught hunters not to die for twiggy wood and hides when there's always tomorrow. Lets see some highlights...

- Kidnaped by Whirans 3 separate times
- Had the unconsenting sexy time with a whiran which scarred him for life (also before the policy change)
- Sang as Masterbard Sunny's funeral
- Almost assassinated Masterbard Zelafin and Olide after being Banished (like 5 seconds from beating them down, but a man has to love his family)
- Brought in over 50,000 in donations and solicitations to the Circle during his tenure
- Paid out over 70,000 in bribes to the Faithful Orders and Kadius
- Known as Tambura abroad
- Offered to sell bardic secrets to Stellvia Borsail in exchange for answers about another bards murder and a book he could gift to the Circle (a hair brained scheme to be reinducted into the circle after his first kickout)

- Now I'm rambling, he was my last serious character on Armageddon so I'm fond of him.

I didn't understand a quarter of what was going on with Elrum, but I don't think I could have fallen in with a better mentor with my first PC.  Definitely the main reason I didn't have the long list of dead initial PCs people talk about all the time.

My favorite Tuluki was when I wasn't involved in any politics. Grog the ragged maned giant. The only rebel to survive bombing the Tor Academy, and escape Allanak alive after stumbling through an enemy city in a sandstorm. Thankfully he was saved by a rebel spy who was working in the city. He followed his surviving friends into the Legions, and somehow, was promoted to Corporal. Sadly, this is why giants should not be in even semi-leadership positions, as he died leading the charge into the mantis invasion of the north.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

I played some dudes in Tuluk, I think I used to spar with Chaser a fair bit.

I always tended to play dutiful types who got promoted to roughly sergeant level just by not getting killed, usually.

Then I'd store when I got too close to politics, which I really don't like.

Meh. Few people liked my Tulukis. Among the semi-important and hardly interesting were: Creek the Legion Sergeant that always wanted more more more, a pickpocket named Konnar who ended up working for Salarr for a while, a Faithful Lord named Kiean who I played short and rough (mostly selfishly, but it was during a time when all of the Northern staff were gone and I didn't/don't understand how support was supposed to happen), and Gavin who, despite everything else, just wanted to be a cook and make pies for everyone (and, is the character that helped re-introduce the game to a pastry craft that had been lost to time).

Looking back, I was BAD at this game. Kudos to those that understand it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Only notable Tulukis (and I mean notable as in long lived, not as in they actually did anything good) were Drenidan Shilg, a lieutenant in Winrothol, and Lebardis, a northern patriot who was also a solo raider against 'nakkis.  And who starved to death because I didn't realize I left him logged in on the street on my laptop.  *facepalm*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 29, 2015, 06:15:59 AM
I loved my first real Tuluki. A guy covered in bone and gem piercings named Jayali. I had a lot of fun with that. He started out as a promising businessman and self-styled smooth talker. But also an idiot that didn't know when to stop drinking. His dream was to work for Kurac. He eventually did, with an Agent taking him under his wing as a sort of protegee. But subsequently became severely addicted to Thodeliv spice and lost all his potential and money and a bitter disappointment to his employer, not to mention ripping off his friends and basically selling off most business of his wealthy lover (what he could get his hands on anyway). I really wish I didn't store him, but I lost the time to play and unfortunately the role I was playing was setting off a few of my own RL triggers as well, so I had to back off. He was my second favorite character. My favorite character was my first one. Now that's the one I'm really proud of. And not just because my first character lasted several IG years.

I remember him. I played Agent Kradj Kurac. My play times then didn't match up as much as I liked, but I liked the character. I posted about one of my other favs Sergeant Calistyrr in another thread. I have to wait till next year to post my last character, who definately turned out my favourite.

This thread makes me very nostalgic. I miss Tuluk. I haven't been able to get back into the game ever since it was closed  :(
Death is only the beginning...

I am Shoir the Krylslayer and I killed 28 kryl with a broken sword.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Sinjinn.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

October 03, 2015, 06:12:59 PM #43 Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:14:48 PM by SuchDragonWow
I had some good times with Sinjinn.  I played Arj.  I wanna say Sin was one of the first PCs he ever interacted with, called him "far walker" or something to this effect.
Where it will go

I had the great pleasure of playing Beldyn Dill.   He did a lot of Kryl killing and  won the Kurac pit fights one year.  He spent many hours "teaching manners" in the Sanc.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

I remember selling a certain freckled young Winrothol several hats and assorted other things with Elorin Kadius,  Elorin and his Southern Counterpart Irminia always referring to Isatep as Isapoo... there was even a impromptu drag-show where Elorin got drunk and ended up trouncing around the Southern Kadian Estate in a Lirathan Robe.  Half Jul-Tavan, his long term goal was setting up a scheduled caravan north-to-south, but I stored shortly after finishing the wagon (which the next agent got Burninated on Merchant's road trying to escape the volcano erruption in Allanak, and I wept a tear every time I walked by it's remains  with future PCs).  He had the absolute best crew imaginable for a long time, and gave me some of my fondest moments in arm.  We regularly "disappeared" crew members who got on the inner circle's nerves until staff told us to stop. :D  Fool the templarate into believing I had murdered a citizen, and hid out in Red Storm for a two RL weeks trying to draw out the real story behind someone else wanting her dead.  The only PC I have ever regretted storing.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Malifaxis on October 03, 2015, 05:57:55 PM
Sinjinn.
Ithe was, and still is, one of my favorite characters thanks to Sinjinn.

Also Fayre/Wenoviyr the vivaduan breed was also one of my favorites thanks to Sinjinn.

<3 Sinjinn, he kept me playing arm when I was a newb.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Cowboy on October 03, 2015, 06:47:02 PM
I had the great pleasure of playing Beldyn Dill.   He did a lot of Kryl killing and  won the Kurac pit fights one year.  He spent many hours "teaching manners" in the Sanc.

Beldyn was great!  I enjoyed him a lot when I was playing Aon.

This was cool to read through.

I must also express admiration for some of those long lived characters in Tuluk ; I don't know how they stayed with it for so long. Maybe I do, but it was impressive to see long lived characters and have the honor to interact with them on various levels. In tuluk, (southern guys are awesome too!) I had the best times I ever had learning about armageddon and experiencing the culture. I owe that largely to how great the players prior to me and with me at the time embodied the ideals and roleplay. Forever grateful here!

I played in winrothol more than once up there, good times often. I was there when Winrothol straight up had a 'purge' of its own ranks, and also when a winrothol expedition went out to engage some elves ; who were subsequently animated by imms and PK'd the shit out of our squad.

I was heavy on the Tuluki side in the copper war after my Tor scorpion 'went to sleep' (Kelmandos ; Falen)

After that I was in the Tuluk game big ; I played Krasin (kris) during the plainsman era. He ended up hanging out with two preservers in their tower for awhile (Falcon? and...) while trying to decipher which mindbenders in his head were (name those aristocrats here) and which weren't. It turned into one of those maybe stop (redacted Nilazi entity name here) from destroying the world type of plots. Was intriguing until my 'in' to spy on the [redacted] got thrown into a spike pit. Did you guys know there was almost a civil war then too? :P

Uh... More tuluk. ---> Corporal Valin. I enjoyed the era of Elithan and Prophet, along with a myriad of other badass RPers up there. I think its safe to finally say Valin died in mortal combat against a giant, freak tembo. That MF'er was in terrible condition though when he limped off with my carcass.

Even more tuluk:

-Kilaski Salarr was a pretty heavily leaning towards northern loyalties by the end of his life. I do believe his name got tossed around from time to time as one of the people responsible for helping build Tuluk's gates. If I had not been such a noob, this guy probably also would have been responsible for (attempting) to wipe a clan off the map. I don't remember the situation, but there was an awesome, very valkyrie-ish movie plot going on where myself and another richy-rich rich were planning on staging a meeting with a -bomb- in the same room as ourselves and another faction, working on the timing of leaving and all that. High octane role through to the end.

-Ryzekah Negean; very brief role stored to take... uh... some other role. Or maybe it was playtime I was having trouble with. I was on a deployment.

-Talius Kassigarh ; I was first thrown into immediate company with veteran players of fairly long lived characters (fairly is an understatement in a couple cases) who were all charging down their character path furiously. It was outstanding! I saw a series of amazing RP'ers cruise through the legion at the time, and was grateful to be involved in the larger plots abroad. I enjoyed the rising pride of the Hlum contest and the great deception of the HRPT, and everything in-between. I got a taste of the lore and culture that had always been intriguing to me, and in my own way got to fight the 'good fight' in the north. My only regret in this role is not having been patient enough to make it to the final chapter with everyone else that got to close the north out with a bang.

Thanks for the thread, nostalgic. :)