Engage command (vs kill)

Started by Eyeball, September 11, 2015, 01:44:49 AM

September 11, 2015, 01:44:49 AM Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:48:45 AM by Eyeball
I don't know about other people, but I'm getting to find the following to be pretty annoying:

> kill <x>
You chop <x> lightly.
>
<x> stabs you.
>
<x> stabs you lightly.
>
<x> stabs you solidly.
>
<x> stabs you.
>
etc.
finally after ten rounds of taking attacks you get another.

Ok, I get it. The first attack represents running up like a madman with weapon waving overhead. It's a berserker attack with improved chances. And after that you're off balance.

This is proposal for another way to start a fight, the 'engage' command. Instead of trying to smush the foe in the first blow, it represents a controlled, cautious entry into combat with no bonus from surprise. And a much, much lower chance of being put off balance like above.

EDIT: and please don't tell me this is due to agility. It's happened even to the best of my characters.

I'm pretty sure the above is due to the high (some might say "overly high") impact of random outcomes in combat.

I've had this happen numerous times.

On the same character against the same type of mob they've gotten one counter attack before I did the exact same flurry.

Yeah, I have it both ways as well, kinda random for sure.

I think the agility stat might play a big part in that as well as random chance.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Oh look, another idea for the combat code that'll never get implemented.

Yeah, there -seems- to be a first-round attack bonus.

I think you're wrong about the "being off-balance" part, though...never experienced that.

If you're sparring, it's probably because you're sparring someone with parry, because being parried most definitely puts you off-balance, as per 'help parry.'

Also, agility.  Possibly hidden offense skill.  Possibly combination of all offense rolls.

If it's really messing with your head, any PC can use 'kick,' 'bash,' or 'disarm' to initiate combat, and it accomplishes the same thing as your 'engage' command would.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

September 11, 2015, 11:46:31 AM #7 Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:50:32 AM by Eyeball
I've usually do use kick but recently witnessed the same thing.

Starting with a failed bash or countered disarm is an awesome way to begin combat.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Start every fight with subdue, especially if a mul or half-giant.

Its could be a case of you going up against someone who has very high agility. But more than likely they probably boosted/trained dual wield/two-handed skills to a much higher level then you.

If you keep practicing, it will balance out.