Recalling your first Year of armageddon.

Started by Rokal, September 10, 2015, 04:33:31 PM

I'm nearing close to my first year of playing the game actively, and while I cant spare IC details (yet!), I can say that I've had an RP experience that put me outside my usual Comfort zones of RP and actually helped with my own writing, and helped with me building at atmopshere for any admining or staffing I do on another RP.

I had a blast during my first year - my first character was tuluki, all I can really say. I do not regret experiencing the days of tuluk before its closure - because it gave me a good memory of the game that has to this day, left me still playing the game despite my first 'home' in the game being closed. I miss it, and I do hope it opens up again one day.

players and staff alike had been a big help in helping me learn the game and its setting, and times when it had been a bumpy road especially.

Prior to finding arm, I had actually been on a 'down low' of my interest in  writing and continuing building a world for a series of novels I hope to one day publish - armageddon kind of helped me get back into it, Roleplay online is really just another form of story-writing.

Lots of action was involved in my first year, lots of suprises crazy plots - sometimes even my own characters suprised me, and the magic of the setting of zalanthas quickly had me hooked to my seat whenever I had time to play. I never knew what Darksun was until armageddon - and I am an avid D&D fan too.

How was your first year of armageddon?

I had a string of short-lived characters before settling into a longer lived merchant role.  My first character was actually named Feco, and was really a shitty character.  I remember grebbing salt, and actively complaining that I should be killing people (I was guild Assassin, duh), not picking up salt!  Hopefully I grew out of that shitty role playing pretty quickly.

Most of what I saw during that first year was really mundane, which kept the world really mysterious.  During my first 10 character's lives, I only encountered magic once, and it was intense and horrifying.  I also got a small taste of some lore, and it was these little nibbles mixed in with the super harsh world that kept me hooked.

I think the most crazy thing that happened during my first year was getting to mastercraft (sort of), and write the description for, a metal item.  I'm not sure what I'm allowed to talk about regarding it, even though this was in 2010.  It was definitely awesome, but don't get too down if you haven't seen that sort of thing -- all the mundane goings on were more fun overall.

It's hard to believe it's been over 5 years since I started playing.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on September 10, 2015, 09:48:05 PM
I had a string of short-lived characters before settling into a longer lived merchant role.  My first character was actually named Feco, and was really a shitty character.  I remember grebbing salt, and actively complaining that I should be killing people (I was guild Assassin, duh), not picking up salt!  Hopefully I grew out of that shitty role playing pretty quickly.

Most of what I saw during that first year was really mundane, which kept the world really mysterious.  During my first 10 character's lives, I only encountered magic once, and it was intense and horrifying.  I also got a small taste of some lore, and it was these little nibbles mixed in with the super harsh world that kept me hooked.

I think the most crazy thing that happened during my first year was getting to mastercraft (sort of), and write the description for, a metal item.  I'm not sure what I'm allowed to talk about regarding it, even though this was in 2010.  It was definitely awesome, but don't get too down if you haven't seen that sort of thing -- all the mundane goings on were more fun overall.

It's hard to believe it's been over 5 years since I started playing.

Most I can say about my first character is that - I suprisingly had a very long lived first experience, totalling at maybe 70 or so days played when their story came to an end.  I too got nibbles of lore and stuff through the plots that were going on. I do one day hope to post a bit of a story about my first character's adventures - but I don't think it'll be for a long while that I can. its only been a year, but i've already had a strong sense of nostalgia remembering my first character and the awesome chars they interacted with.

Quote from: Rokal on September 10, 2015, 04:33:31 PM
I'm nearing close to my first year of playing the game actively, and while I cant spare IC details (yet!), I can say that I've had an RP experience that put me outside my usual Comfort zones of RP and actually helped with my own writing, and helped with me building at atmopshere for any admining or staffing I do on another RP.

I had a blast during my first year - my first character was tuluki, all I can really say. I do not regret experiencing the days of tuluk before its closure - because it gave me a good memory of the game that has to this day, left me still playing the game despite my first 'home' in the game being closed. I miss it, and I do hope it opens up again one day.

players and staff alike had been a big help in helping me learn the game and its setting, and times when it had been a bumpy road especially.

Prior to finding arm, I had actually been on a 'down low' of my interest in  writing and continuing building a world for a series of novels I hope to one day publish - armageddon kind of helped me get back into it, Roleplay online is really just another form of story-writing.

Lots of action was involved in my first year, lots of suprises crazy plots - sometimes even my own characters suprised me, and the magic of the setting of zalanthas quickly had me hooked to my seat whenever I had time to play. I never knew what Darksun was until armageddon - and I am an avid D&D fan too.

My first year of playing was considerably less eventful than yours.

I did want to thank you and the rest of the noobs.  This past year of playing has been one of my favorites during my experience here and this is in no small part to the high quality batch of noobs we've had, easily the strongest in a decade in my opinion.  Thanks for helping the game to be so awesome, Sir!

September 10, 2015, 10:15:02 PM #4 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:17:57 PM by Harmless
my first serious year of playing was 5 years ago, and in that year I played 5 characters, all of which had a major impact on my playing style and enjoyment of the game.

The first was a half-elven tuluki ranger/woodcutter, who was mentored by a friendly half-giant hunter briefly, had gotten to Luir's a few times, and there had an encounter with a magicker. Going into the details of that encounter might be spoilery for new players, but needless to say it was a good introduction to the way tulukis SHOULD react to magickers (hint: I got it totally ass-wrong the first time). That ranger later died to a Kryl.

The second was a merchant human mutant from tuluk, who joined Salarr, was mentored by the a long-lived bard who was a Seeker at the time (Ayla), as well as partly from some of the other bards then who, AFAIK, played actively all the way until Tuluk's closure in 2015 (with the same PC; that's a 5 RL stretch at least). She had a good audition and was accepted as an apprentice, but later, I stored her, because I wasn't mature enough to handle the RP surrounding a sexual relationship she had with the then Merchant, former and disgraced Agent of Salarr at that time.

The third and fourth were both super-short lived Nakkis, who died to various fauna.

The fifth, though, was a great PC; my first Bynner from Nak, I learned how one actually survives in the south with her. After her Byn year was up, I remember once bringing spice in accidentally to Allanak from Luir's. During an earlier visit to Luir's she had met Agent Asil to buy something. Desperate for a way out, sometime on the way to her jail cell for interrogation, she Wayed Asil desperately asking for help, giving the name and/or description of the templar arresting her. Later, she got off with a 1000 sid fine and giving up her mount ticket to said templar, and was released. She sold off some things and bought a beetle, and rode to Luir's, and that same week joined Kurac. She never admitted it but she felt indebted. As a recruit Fist, she was exposed to Tuluk; I had fun trying to RP the unfamiliarity of it from the Allanaki perspective after having played for months earlier as a Tuluki merchant, and eventually decided that there my ex-Bynner, ex-Kuraci had found peace. With apologies to Kurac, she retired after her year, and I stored her also after briefly moving in with one of my Fist buddies (who got a matching tattoo with her), having also decided that character's time had come.

That year was a good one overall, and reflected in all 35 of the PCs I've had since are some themes from the above.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

September 10, 2015, 10:33:25 PM #5 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:36:42 PM by Barsook
I remember Alya, but when she was in House Kadus with my first long lived PC, Dake the dwarf, who was a crafter in the same house.  She was the one how taught Dake how to stone/gem craft. I think Alya made it in when a bit before Dake died.  In fact, he was my first real PC after three or four short-lived ones who died in the Sands.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I was a twinky, emoteless SOB, but I had some great role models in game and some excellent helpers OOC.
My first PC that remember I remember for himself was a dwarven ranger who became a Second Hunter of Kadius, probably about a year or so into playing.  He was who I was playing when I finally -got- Armageddon and the RPI concept.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: ibusoe on September 10, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
Quote from: Rokal on September 10, 2015, 04:33:31 PM

My first year of playing was considerably less eventful than yours.

I did want to thank you and the rest of the noobs.  This past year of playing has been one of my favorites during my experience here and this is in no small part to the high quality batch of noobs we've had, easily the strongest in a decade in my opinion.  Thanks for helping the game to be so awesome, Sir!

Heh, this wouldnt've been possible without the help of a lot of more experienced players guiding me through my noob moments (ANd I still have them!) and helpful staffers. so I owe my thanks to them too!

But you're welcome!

My first PC lasted about a week IRL, discovered Zalanthan LSD, and thought a bunch of Bynners were trying to raid him. Then he died to a raptor, I think. I think my next two PCs died to raptors as well. Good times.

*goes off to kill raptors*

After a few characters, one of whom tried to live in the rinth for about two hours, I made a logger merchant based out of Tuluk. I bought a weapons axe and went outside and wielded it. A staff sent a shiver down my spine, so I unwielded it. I then spent forty characters exploring the world and dying to animals and dehydration. In the middle of that bunch was one Tuluki silver-haired breed who lived for about three RL months as a clay grebber and tavern stool warmer before dying in the rain HRPT. Not to the flood, but to leaving the city in a panic and falling off the shield wall in the dark.

One of my first characters I decided knew how to write, he wrote his name in the dust on the bar, he wanted to be a fancy merchant...

My first year, I was a damn retard. I tried to kill Templar npc's just cause my dorf could, I hunted the world to extinction cause I wanted 1337 skillz, I multi played on accounts to get a coded edge (I made an elven sparring partner and use macro's to spam the alphabet, cause I wanted my dwarf to know allundean....). Essentially my best bud was involved with the game and I was fiddling with it on occasion because he talked about it, I was 14 and didn't give much of a shit about anything, I treated the game like shit. I disappeared, got re-involved in the game through my bud again, we were older, he was my roommate and he was on staff at this time. I started up a new account and took a legitimate stab at the game, having got more involved in tabletop RP that year. In my memory, there was so much awesome mundane stuff, magick was still something I had never REALLY seen for my first couple of years playing in Tuluk so when I finally glimpsed it, it was awesomely scary. Cause the first magick I REALLY saw was a full blown sorc (RIP). Via great examples of roleplay around me and my roommate, I began to understand more and more of how to approach Armageddon and now here I am.. 14 years later?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

September 16, 2015, 08:13:33 AM #11 Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:16:48 AM by Lizzie
First year in Arm, my character was either involved in, or learned about ICly, or experienced as a witness:

In the Gaj, three very tall figures, each wearing the white whiran robes, walking into the room - and everyone in there being very afraid.
A templar who used to get drunk in public and always needed help finding his way to wherever he was trying to go.
A noble PC who used to sit idle for hours at Trader's Inn, hunched over the table.
Being inducted into the Guild by a boss who was also a mage, who invis'ed and flew me through the alleys.
Working for Oash and helping to get a Borsail noble murdered in the Oash estate.
Being friendly with a drovian Tor employee, who at a later point, somehow got ungemmed and was seen in Tuluk sitting in the Sanctuary
Learning about the explosion in Tuluk, while it was happening near the end of the Rebellion (I believe this was the area that was later named Ysania's Way).
Secret stuff about a GMH that I think is no longer documented.
My first PC being assassinated by her Guild boss.
My second PC being assassinated by her "secret GMH stuff" boss.
Quick, when he still looked mostly like an elf.
Quick, when he looked more like a dead, decaying, rotting elf.
The Outriders of Kurac being a very small, but very active part of the House.
Learning from Sujaal's brother that Sujaal had ran away from Allanak to join with Tuluk.
A Kuraci merchant PC (either Cidsarl or Domani, can't remember which one) walking through Allanak with a pet quirri on a leash

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 16, 2015, 08:13:33 AM
First year in Arm, my character was either involved in, or learned about ICly, or experienced as a witness:

In the Gaj, three very tall figures, each wearing the white whiran robes, walking into the room - and everyone in there being very afraid.
A templar who used to get drunk in public and always needed help finding his way to wherever he was trying to go.
A noble PC who used to sit idle for hours at Trader's Inn, hunched over the table.
Being inducted into the Guild by a boss who was also a mage, who invis'ed and flew me through the alleys.
Working for Oash and helping to get a Borsail noble murdered in the Oash estate.
Being friendly with a drovian Tor employee, who at a later point, somehow got ungemmed and was seen in Tuluk sitting in the Sanctuary
Learning about the explosion in Tuluk, while it was happening near the end of the Rebellion (I believe this was the area that was later named Ysania's Way).
Secret stuff about a GMH that I think is no longer documented.
My first PC being assassinated by her Guild boss.
My second PC being assassinated by her "secret GMH stuff" boss.
Quick, when he still looked mostly like an elf.
Quick, when he looked more like a dead, decaying, rotting elf.
The Outriders of Kurac being a very small, but very active part of the House.
Learning from Sujaal's brother that Sujaal had ran away from Allanak to join with Tuluk.
A Kuraci merchant PC (either Cidsarl or Domani, can't remember which one) walking through Allanak with a pet quirri on a leash

Wow, thats an awesome first year! What was your most favorable/memorable experience of all those? :O

Quote from: Lizzie on September 16, 2015, 08:13:33 AM

This would be pretty neat.  In my first year, I think I met two magickers total, both gemmed, both creepy.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

My first year was prob spam-playing a sorcerer then assassin repeatedly before karma was introduced and dying repeatedly trying to kill NPCs/getting wanted/getting killed while gathering/etc.  It was the mid or early 90's im guessing.

I didn't start *seriously* playing until I got hooked after playing a Whiran sometime in early 2000's.  That broke me from my fixed hack and slash mentality when I had a character introduce me to good RPing.

I was horrible.