Save Psi Messages

Started by roobee, September 07, 2015, 10:19:40 PM

An idea is to save messages psi'd to you when you are logged off and then show them to you when you log on. This would allow people who play Armageddon, but not very actively, to do a lot more. For example, it's hard to be a not very active indie who interacts with PC's because you might not be online when someone gives a business offer. Feedback on this?

Artist's rendition of what logging in as a sponsored role would look like:

Quote from: roobee on September 07, 2015, 10:19:40 PM
An idea is to save messages psi'd to you when you are logged off and then show them to you when you log on. This would allow people who play Armageddon, but not very actively, to do a lot more. For example, it's hard to be a not very active indie who interacts with PC's because you might not be online when someone gives a business offer. Feedback on this?

We have code in place for this.

> recruit noob

> tell noob You're my aide now. Talk to people when I can't. Or I'll kill you.

> give noob 50 coins
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on September 07, 2015, 10:38:04 PM
Quote from: roobee on September 07, 2015, 10:19:40 PM

We have code in place for this.

> recruit noob

> tell noob You're my aide now. Talk to people when I can't. Or I'll kill you.

> give noob 50 coins

This code is really buggy.

The above post made me giggle like a little girl.

But seriously though:
Quote from: MeTekillot on September 07, 2015, 10:28:43 PM

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Make it a toggle option?

It's like this already!

Be Kind to Your Sponsored Roles, Don't Way Them About Stupid Shit(tm)

I'm a big supporter of this idea.

Lots of pros (less use of out-of-game communications, ability to achieve more in less time played, less likely to be presumed dead with sparse logins, increased motivation to log on off-peak).

It should should be a one-liner:
> message Amos I'll be available late next week"
> message tall.muscular.man get more scrab shells

It should give you no feedback as to whether it succeeded or not.

If the player is online it works like a regular psi.

It should use the same amount of stun and take the same amount of lag as the complete "contact; psi" sequence.

To prevent unmanageable spam, offline messages should be available to you until you type 'quit':

>messages
The following messages were sent to you over the Way.
- The tall, muscular man sent: "......"
- The squat, scarred dwarf sent "......"
These messages will be available until you next quit the game.

The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Codemaster: if it doesn't let you know whether or not your message was successfully sent, then that IS an indication that it was NOT successfully sent. Because - if it IS successfully sent, you get a message that says so.

If the person isn't logged in, then you don't know if he's simply not logged in, or dead. This is intentional. It didn't used to be that way, there used to be different messages. And this was abused, in a really unpleasant manner, to find out "who isn't around so we can do this/that/the other thing and not get caught."

Because of the actual abuse (not merely the possibility of it), the system was changed to what we have now. Thankfully.

Totally do NOT want to go back to those days.

Also agree with Delirium: Leader types already get enough bullshit way stuff when they ARE logged in, the last thing they need is messages when they're not logged in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

September 08, 2015, 08:02:10 PM #9 Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:03:53 PM by CodeMaster
Quote from: Lizzie on September 08, 2015, 07:16:26 PM
Codemaster: if it doesn't let you know whether or not your message was successfully sent, then that IS an indication that it was NOT successfully sent. Because - if it IS successfully sent, you get a message that says so.

The way I'm envisioning it, all it would tell you is that you drop your message into the ether, not whether or not it reached its recipient, or even the sdesc of the recipient, or anything specific like that.

[edit:  I guess when I said "If the player is online it works like a regular psi." I should have said "If the player is online it appears to the recipient like a regular psi."]

September 08, 2015, 08:44:41 PM #10 Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:49:54 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Delirium on September 08, 2015, 05:37:33 PM

I snapped at an underlying for doing this recently.  I felt bad OOCly, for about...5 seconds...then I smiled and felt like I roleplayed the situation perfectly well.  :)

Anyway, I actually really like this idea, but I would not make it a Psi.  I would make it a service that House Nenyuk provides, that the sender pays for, and the recipient has to check their messages at a bank to receive them.  Make the cost to send a message relatively high, so it's only used for important shit (of course, the costs are lower for nobles/templars/merchants...because fuck the indie guy).

Quote from: wizturbo on September 08, 2015, 08:44:41 PM
Quote from: Delirium on September 08, 2015, 05:37:33 PM

I snapped at an underlying for doing this recently.  I felt bad OOCly, for about...5 seconds...then I smiled and felt like I roleplayed the situation perfectly well.  :)

Anyway, I actually really like this idea, but I would not make it a Psi.  I would make it a service that House Nenyuk provides, that the sender pays for, and the recipient has to check their messages at a bank to receive them.  Make the cost to send a message relatively high, so it's only used for important shit (of course, the costs are lower for nobles/templars/merchants...because fuck the indie guy).

I had this idea that I would make a dwarf who offered this service, and script out my client to handle everything and just leave him idle for hours at a time.  I can't imagine staff want a borged out PC sitting in the game though.

Time for me to code up a bank-bot dwarf for my next pc.

A coin-inked dwarf shouts:
"Want to avoid those pesky Nenyuk fees when you're a hunter rolling in 20k a week! Use Dwarfbot! 5 sid for all exchanges!"

8)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on September 09, 2015, 09:20:50 PM
Time for me to code up a bank-bot dwarf for my next pc.

A coin-inked dwarf shouts:
"Want to avoid those pesky Nenyuk fees when you're a hunter rolling in 20k a week! Use Dwarfbot! 5 sid for all exchanges!"

8)

Until the blinged-out Nenyuki hit squat comes a knockin'....
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.