Re: Ideas for Mundane Skills

Started by Delirium, August 26, 2015, 02:16:50 PM

I would like universal unmarked skill called crawl or trudge. If you are near the edge of a chasm you can trudge in a direction for a massive stamina hit but will always go that way. Rather than typing n and going s like a scrub etc.

I would absolutely love some sort of crawling ability. I know it seems impossible code-wise, but it's just, so, so, so, so integral to my drunken beggar app. But for real, I'd love crawl. Please make this a thing.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

I want a "headbutt" skill just so I can be known as the guy who randomly tries to headbutt rats in the 'rinth.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on September 01, 2015, 11:08:39 AM
I want a "headbutt" skill just so I can be known as the guy who randomly tries to headbutt rats in the 'rinth.

That creature is far too small for you to headbutt!

>hb Mek
You slam your head into the mekillot's forehead!
Your eyes roll into the back of your head...

September 01, 2015, 05:25:36 PM #79 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:30:48 PM by Dresan
kick > strike

strike person

(the following need some creative work)
emote attempts to headbutt/elbow/uppercut/kick ~amos
You manage to strike amos hard!
Amos strikes you hard!                        
The person sees your strike coming and counters with a strike of their own, causing you to lose balance and fall.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind skills like kick being passive with a very simple toggle.  More time for emotes over skill spam.  Less predictability and control over it, it comes by opportunity, and as you get better, you catch opportunities more often.

Also.  Armor proficiencies.  They're a thing.  Don't make restrictions based off them...only small to moderate bonuses for having them.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on September 01, 2015, 05:29:25 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't mind skills like kick being passive with a very simple toggle.  More time for emotes over skill spam.  Less predictability and control over it, it comes by opportunity, and as you get better, you catch opportunities more often.

Also.  Armor proficiencies.  They're a thing.  Don't make restrictions based off them...only small to moderate bonuses for having them.

Both ideas here are great.

September 02, 2015, 03:27:02 PM #82 Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:29:38 PM by Dresan
poison that effects the mind, slashing skills including offense/defense in half.

And more weapon types that can apply poison. (Poison axes/swords plz)  With assassin being able to take aggressor (berseker), it isn't so op of an idea.

Quote from: Dresan on September 02, 2015, 03:27:02 PM
poison that effects the mind, slashing skills including offense/defense in half.

And more weapon types that can apply poison. (Poison axes/swords plz)  With assassin being able to take aggressor (berseker), it isn't so op of an idea.

There are plenty of slashing weapons you can poison.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Im just returning after 6 years, so my ideas might be outdated. 

1. No matter the class, race, stats..  There is an life altering chance for your character to manifest changing ones life completely ingame Turning elemental into an true potental curse
2. Ceramic weapon creation for merchants. High tier weapon items
3.readd or add gambler subguid. IM old, old school arm player from when mantis roamed and kanks were loved by all.  I remember this subguild was very entertaining and added spice of life. Tack on craft for making tools of their trade, such as cards, dice, game boards
4. Tattoo Artist subguild.  Draw image on stone, leaf, paper,... apply to body of client.  Earn money
5. Turn unarmed into more deadly artform.  Add an skill for warriors, combine with subdue, kick, bash... Marital artist in the making.. Or arm Equilivant
6. Master Archers (for Rangers)  Get bowmaking without having to add archer subguild.  Know how to shoot, know how to make arrows.. Well enough said
7.  Merchants can create crafts to bundle items and sell in bulk to house npcs. Crated or bundled item sells are regional and require transport.  Obsidan goods must be sold in the north. Wood goods in the south.
8.Burglars are masters of lockpicks, let them create locks which they sell for money (burglar turned locksmith as an profession) Crafts for creating lock and key items ( single item together), which are sold to merchants for coins. In turn add to lockable items they create. Such as chests, boxes, even wagons.

Hey Morriden I like your ideas.  Being able to craft kruth decks would be really cool.

Quote from: morriden on October 01, 2015, 07:12:18 AM
5. Turn unarmed into more deadly artform.  Add an skill for warriors, combine with subdue, kick, bash... Marital artist in the making.. Or arm Equilivant

It might be interesting if master warriors incurred less post-disarm lag while barehanded.  That might give these barehanded fighters a shot in the dark vs. someone with a weapon, but any more than that might verge on unrealistic.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

We wouldn't want anything unrealistic in the game, that's for sure.

Widespread literacy combined with significantly reduced psionic communication abilities.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on October 01, 2015, 11:55:53 AM
Widespread literacy combined with significantly reduced psionic communication abilities.

Skill cleave

So warriors without scan could swing wildly and maybe hit a hidden target.
it could cost stam so it isn't spam used.
Just having fun.

Quote from: morriden on October 01, 2015, 07:12:18 AM
Im just returning after 6 years, so my ideas might be outdated. 

1. No matter the class, race, stats..  There is an life altering chance for your character to manifest changing ones life completely ingame Turning elemental into an true potental curse

Yes please, I've always craved for this!

And welcome back.  :)

I don't want my mundane characters being derailed by manifestation.

I would like to see warriors gain the ability to repair their own equipment (if not as skillfully as a trained armorer).

Increased literacy without a decrease in its illegality would be fun; I won't say anything more since we already had a pretty good thread about it.

It would be the players choice to flag consent to soul rape before each character creation. I'd imagine maybe a 1:100 chance or less?

I prefer not to have random chance events, and have the staff do this kind of thing...or, have world events that could possibly lead to characters manifesting based on the choices they make.

This is a thread for how to make mundanes more fun, not how to make more magickers  >:(

Quote from: Delirium on October 01, 2015, 01:21:49 PM
Quote from: Desertman on October 01, 2015, 11:55:53 AM

I think this would be an amazing, positive change for the game, myself! More people having to interact in person would be great.

Sorry, I'm vehemently against limiting psionic communications with the current game population being where it is.  If there were 100+ people online consistently everyday I'd say otherwise, but being able to Way people is sometimes the only way my characters have any interaction whatsoever.

Quote from: wizturbo on October 01, 2015, 02:19:56 PM
Sorry, I'm vehemently against limiting psionic communications with the current game population being where it is.  If there were 100+ people online consistently everyday I'd say otherwise, but being able to Way people is sometimes the only way my characters have any interaction whatsoever.

Nobody proposed they would take away the ability to Way someone. They would just limit its range.

Way-ing someone in and around the same city as you? Sure. No problem. This would still allow for quick interaction and arranging quick get-togethers. It would also still let newbies who need to get hired still easily reach out to employers and keep them in interaction.

Way-ing someone across the world from you in another city?....Hire a courier after writing your letter and open up a world of possiblities...or hire a Mindbender who CAN Way across the entire world *dun dun dunnnn*.

We could have 1,000 people online every night but if you are playing someone extremely secluded where the above system wouldn't work for you...then you are the extreme exception to the rule on every front.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on October 01, 2015, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on October 01, 2015, 02:19:56 PM
Sorry, I'm vehemently against limiting psionic communications with the current game population being where it is.  If there were 100+ people online consistently everyday I'd say otherwise, but being able to Way people is sometimes the only way my characters have any interaction whatsoever.

Nobody proposed they would take away the ability to Way someone. They would just limit its range.

Way-ing someone in and around the same city as you? Sure. No problem. This would still allow for quick interaction and arranging quick get-togethers. It would also still let newbies who need to get hired still easily reach out to employers and keep them in interaction.

Way-ing someone across the world from you in another city?....Hire a courier after writing your letter and open up a world of possiblities...or hire a Mindbender who CAN Way across the entire world *dun dun dunnnn*.

We could have 1,000 people online every night but if you are playing someone extremely secluded where the above system wouldn't work for you...then you are the extreme exception to the rule on every front.

I support this as well.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You feel strangely hot; Your brow is sweating, you're quivering. There's something inside you trying to get out. Let it out?
>Manifest
You let go, and suddenly, you temporarily burst into flames, your mind flooding with mana, sending you into spasms of arcane origin!
>Ignore
You cull the feeling in your body, and it fades back into nothing. You feel normal again.
(WAIT 30 MINUTES WITHOUT MANIFESTING)
The strange feeling fades away.

----
Give a 1/50,000 chance for every character every IG year to get a 'strange feeling'.
If they choose to Manifest, they receive a /random/ elemental affinity (with higher karma elements having lower and lower chances of manifesting) while retaining their current skills, but at the cost of causing a massive echo and, of course, becoming a magicker.
Make the chance even -lower- if the character is long lived, and more hours played = less of a chance of getting a Strange Feeling, with eventually being unable to manifest whatsoever at 30 days played. This is to prevent someone who is already incredibly powerful (combat, wealth, or power related) from becoming overwhelmingly, gamebreakingly strong.
However, the skills they receive, since they're already trained as both a guild and subguild, could never get above a certain level as determined by their wisdom, capping out at Journeyman no matter what to prevent someone from becoming -too- OP as a character.

Let Luck decide. Playing a throw-away 'rinth rat? Suddenly, strange feeling. Manifest. Suddenly, you're a Krathi warrior/thief with infinite possibilities.