Bag stealing?!

Started by zeia, August 11, 2015, 05:57:21 PM

Is it just me.. or does this annoy the living hell out of everyone?

"You unpack a bag from the horse of doom, which slides off to the ground"
And before you can even grab it back, some solider randomly and somehow darts forwards and grabs the bag quicker than anything, to which your left, messaging staff asking hey.. can someone give my bag back?!
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy have they been coded to swipe it straight away without giving you a chance to regrab it?
A staff member sends:
     "You can quit ooc - or if you want I can kill <character name>, that'd definitely reset it."

Soldier are corrupt, yo

I can't say I saw this from soldier NPCs very often, but beggars and other wandering commoners are definitely pretty quick on the draw. My advice is to befriend AoD PCs - I had a little side practice going of murdering beggars who snatched up stuff they shouldn't have.

The only time this happened to me, I just wished up and someone on staff took care of it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I wished up once and made a little plot about it when someone's bag got taken. I traded a steak for a bag, and made a friend.

I was in the Fist once, NPC in the stables stole a Mercenary's bag. Wished up about it. Staff animated the PC and had it defiantly claim ownership of the bag. We tried the whole good cop, bad cop routine on him (I was the good cop) and he demanded a bribe. the Mercanary utterly refused on principle. After the Mercenary left, I haggled the guy down on his demands and got the bag back. Upon presentation of the bag to the Mercenary, we was like "PLEASE tell me you DIDN'T pay that asshole." (innocently) "Nope, I just had to put things in perspective for him... ok, maybe I DID pay him.", I got in trouble for paying him.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if attacking and beating them down to get it back wouldn't provoke say, a dozen hiding mul assassin-guards...

Quote from: Clearsighted on August 12, 2015, 09:29:11 AM
It wouldn't be such a big deal if attacking and beating them down to get it back wouldn't provoke say, a dozen hiding mul assassin-guards...

I should perhaps be specific, we were in the Luir's stables. I wasn't sure if it made sense but I rolled with it, then got in a teensy bit of trouble with my superiors for violating principle and accomplishing the task by whatever means proved the quickest. I was also an elf, so, there's that.

My biggest beef with this problem is that it restricts so many rooms from being "flavored" by the arrange command.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yes! I tried to arrange some plant bits beside my dying PC  and they were stolen from under her. Come to think of it, the elf probably looted the corpse as well.

Quote from: AdamBlue on August 11, 2015, 11:33:13 PM
I wished up once and made a little plot about it when someone's bag got taken. I traded a steak for a bag, and made a friend.

You should be docked karma then. This is Armageddon. It is out of character completely to make a friend, unless the steak was poisoned or you were using his connection as a Templar's slumpdump to get access to sekrit powerz... then it is okay.
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.

Quote from: Clearsighted on August 12, 2015, 09:29:11 AM

Yes. 

Kudos to the original poster for bringing this up.

This has caused my previous character any amount of grief, or caused me specifically grief since actually role-playing around this isn't fun, with my character having an unrealistically low strength score to begin with.

...and this type of physics effect *doesn't* make the game more realistic.  When I was a child (low strength score), if I had too much stuff to carry I'd simply put it in my wagon.  But that's another barrel of worms. 

I've gotten to the point, that I just ignore it when it happens, unless it was something very difficult to replace, but I can't remember sending in a reimbursement request in at least a few years.

Seriously though, I would LOVE to be able to drop/arrange more things around the game world without having to worry about this issue.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.