You don't think you could craft that in to anything.

Started by original, July 19, 2015, 09:15:05 PM

So this just happened. I analyzed an item. It told me it was made from a combination of three items of different amounts. I have the correct amounts of items and all three items.
When I go craft item1 item2 2.item2 3.item2 item 3 into (what I analyzed)  It says no recipes match it.

What am I doing wrong?
- I am the correct clan to craft this item
- My skill for this item is master and I can analyze it
- I have all the items in my inventory and nothing else in the room uses the same keywords
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.

Quirk in the code I believe. You need to remove the numbers I think. So if it's two feathers and two pieces of stone to make an item try 'craft feather feather stone stone into a'

Alright tried that like for brewing, but it kicked out I am already using item2 and told me to use the keyword 2.item. Thanks for the idea, let's keep em rolling XD

So, I think if it's grey.feather and red.feather you would separate those by 1.feather and 2.feather, but if they're the same type of feather you just type 'feather feather'.

Also, I think brew functions differently than other crafting skills.

Also I could be completely wrong, because I hardly ever craft things. All I know is I've run into the problem you're having before and it took a lot of different combinations before I finally got it right.

You need to reference ingredients in reverse order, so...

craft 3.ingredientA 2.ingredientA ingredientA ingredientB into this other thing.

or from your example instead of

Quotecraft item1 item2 2.item2 3.item2 item 3 into (what I analyzed)

you would want

craft item1 3.item2 2.item2 item2 into (what I analyzed)

because code...
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I don't know either. If I

craft stone 2.stone feather 2.feather into stone

It works unless maybe I have a stone chisel in my inventory; or a few material share the same sdesc, but not mdesc and  I am trying with the wrong one?

You were using a tool when you analyzed it and tried to make it?

Another edit. I have remembered one analyzed recipe that I haven't got to work.  ???

Reading all those vague "placeholder" hypotheticals is so confusing, I couldn't follow them, and most of my characters are crafters!

Here's an example, using a fake recipe, but actual things rather than placeholders:

analyze dress
You can make this dress with a set of moonstone buttons, a set of pearl buttons, a length of white linen, and a length of green silk.

craft buttons 2.buttons length 2.length into dress

That's it.

HOWEVER:

Make sure there aren't other things with those same keywords in your inventory, or on the floor. If you have a length of chalton leather in your inventory, it'll screw up the recipe. If there are, or if you want to be absolutely positively sure you're doing the right things..you'd do this:

craft set.of.moonstone.buttons set.of.pearl.buttons length.of.white.linen length.of.green.silk into dress
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 20, 2015, 07:24:23 AM
Make sure there aren't other things with those same keywords in your inventory, or on the floor. If you have a length of chalton leather in your inventory, it'll screw up the recipe. If there are, or if you want to be absolutely positively sure you're doing the right things..you'd do this:

Usually when I mess up this is why.

Use "keywords feather" to check how to refer to the different feathers in your inventory.  Some objects have completely unexpected keywords.

Aside: some of the "sheathe" objects in the game are also big gotchas for keywords.  If your sheathe object's not working and it won't tell you why, check for keyword collisions.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Short: Looks like a code bug. Is it reported? It might be a small fix.

Coder: That is probably a code bug. Common pattern for a bug where an iterated collection has elements removed. Reverse iteration allows for in place removals because logic.

In the item database there's duplicates. That 2.stone you're using might not be the same stone needed for the craft, even if they have the same sdesc and description. I had the same problem with a craft using snakeskins, apparently there are several different snake skins as each species of snake provides different ones, despite them all sharing the same name. Send it into staff, that's what I did.
yousuck

Also, there are a few tanned hides/skins that have the same sdesc as their untanned counterpart.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 22, 2015, 12:49:29 PM
Also, there are a few tanned hides/skins that have the same sdesc as their untanned counterpart.

I remember them going through a while back and fixing these.  I think if there are any left they should probably be typo'd.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Use the 'keyword' command liberally to ensure you are targeting the right objects.

Thanks for all the ideas.
So here are the processes I tried.
- I used keyword to make sure nothing else in the room matched any of the keywords.
- I 'looked' at the item and the description matches the items I got from analyze (spoiler: the leather was indeed carru leather)
- I put the items in reverse order (3.hide 2.hide hide, ect)
- I checked the hide's description when untanned and tanned and for this particular leather it does change.
- I can analyze the item without tools now, but to be sure I used tools and still nothing.

Thanks for all the ideas, at least I am confident it is a code issue and I bugged it.
Thank you for all the ideas so I felt secure that I wasn't wasting a coder's time with a bug that could have been solved with a work around.

Ah... there's your problem.

When you analyze it, the ingredients it lists are the -exact- sdescs of the objects.  So you'd need to find the carru leather that matches the analyze list word for word -- not just something that describes itself as carru leather in its mdesc.

Quote from: CodeMaster on July 25, 2015, 02:48:36 PM

When you analyze it, the ingredients it lists are the -exact- sdescs of the objects.  So you'd need to find the carru leather that matches the analyze list word for word -- not just something that describes itself as carru leather in its mdesc.

Oh yeah I got that. I mean I just made sure even in the sdesc is it carru leather so I wan't grabbing another leather that might have the same sdesc. I've also tried the leather both tanned and untanned.

July 25, 2015, 03:23:44 PM #17 Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:38:20 PM by CodeMaster
Quote from: original on July 25, 2015, 03:01:16 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on July 25, 2015, 02:48:36 PM

When you analyze it, the ingredients it lists are the -exact- sdescs of the objects.  So you'd need to find the carru leather that matches the analyze list word for word -- not just something that describes itself as carru leather in its mdesc.

Oh yeah I got that. I mean I just made sure even in the sdesc is it carru leather so I wan't grabbing another leather that might have the same sdesc. I've also tried the leather both tanned and untanned.

Could well be there is a bug.  But except in special cases, tanned and untanned leathers are going to have different sdescs (example sdesc: "a strip of brown leather").

So this will work:

> inv
a strip of brown leather
a red feather
a feathered headband

> analyze headband
This is made from a strip of brown leather and a red feather.

> craft strip feather into headband
D'okay.

This won't

> inv
a strip of leather
a red feather
a feathered headband

> analyze headband
This is made from a strip of brown leather and a red feather.

> look leather
It's brown.

> craft strip feather into headband
Can't!

Might not be your case, but worth mentioning explicitly.

[edit sorry, looks like I didn't read your post too carefully and you have these bases covered]