No-Quit Flag for Subdue

Started by Ueda, September 28, 2003, 12:01:08 AM

Would a NO QUIT flag for subdue be a good idea?

Yes.
25 (69.4%)
No.
8 (22.2%)
I don't know.
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: October 27, 2003, 11:01:08 PM

QuoteMalifaxis Wrote:
had a thought. I have them all the time, usually they do no one any good... but this one,...............

Two other things I wouldn't mind seeing, one much simpler than the other:

Subduing or being subdued adding the 'no-quit' flag that you get from combat. 'You are too excited to quit just now!" This would also prevent the aforementioned quit problem.

The second, and more complex one, would be the initiation of a sleeper hold. Based on both person's subdue skills, as well as the strength of the aggressor and the endurance of the victim.
Subdue victim (success)
Sleeper victim/subdue victim sleep
You tighten your grip upon (target) and begin to cut off the airflow.

This wouldn't be an instant sleep, just like IRL, it would take time, and the person would know what was going on, and could try to get out of it.

Thoughts? Comments? Insults?
Love Idea about the NO-QUIT flag
QuoteMalifaxis wrote:
The second, and more complex one, would be the initiation of a sleeper hold.

QuoteLazloth wrote:
Silly. Makes sap obsolete.
Not obsolete, but I still wouldn't like to see it.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Having a subdue be added the 'no quit' flag would be wonderful.  Beneficial for those Militia members, who want to grab elven thieves, but don't want to kill them.

Because now, a thief can just run away and quit out.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I personally don't think it is a big deal.  I don't want to see a coder stress out if it is not a simple operation.  Simply put, if someone quits out during a chase then you just e-mail the MUD and report them.  If it looks bad the imms have no problem with transfering said persons log in spot to the jail.  It is a simple matter to check the logs and fix the situtation.  In other words, I don't see it is a terrible epidemic that is plauging the MUD.

In fact, I would almost rather that subdue didn't add a no quit flag.  Subdue is used in many instances that are not combat related.  It can be a true pain in the ass some times when you are stuck logged into the game when you need to quit simply because you sparred or someone had to subdue you and drag your knocked out ass into the barracks.

QuoteIn fact, I would almost rather that subdue didn't add a no quit flag. Subdue is used in many instances that are not combat related. It can be a true pain in the ass some times when you are stuck logged into the game when you need to quit simply because you sparred or someone had to subdue you and drag your knocked out ass into the barracks.

If your in a situation that requires you need to use have the subdue command used on you. Your usually doing something that takes IC time.
At least in my experiences.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

I agree with Rindan.  I'm guessing that the temporary no-quit flag after combat was implemented in a day when Arm resembled more of a traditional stock Diku MUD (I'd say hack and slash but, honestly, Arm is hack and slash -- it's just a hack and slash with role play  :P ), in a time when code abusers and powergamers flourished.  That said, having only experienced one memorable "twink" incident, myself, I believe the vast majority of today's Arm players are pretty solid and honest individuals, not the sort who are eager to use quit as the only means of escaping a nasty situation.  And if you accept for the moment that this notion is true then 9 times out of 10 when someone quits after a subdue it's because the subduer in question was letting them.  Maybe the interrogation scene is over (perhaps because the culprit has to logout), or maybe the subduer decided to let his victim off the hook and conveniently the culprit is ready to logout now.  Either way, I don't see the need for implementing more restraints like this.  Incidents where someone is abusing the quit command after a subdue (or anything else) are few and far between, in my opinion.

Have some trust that the players will not take advantage of the code in an unrealistic fashion, because I think most players are willing to cooperate.  In the same vein one could suggest a temporary no-quit flag after a failed (or successful) steal attempt, or any number of like scenarios, but in a time when most players are here to enrich themselves in a role-play oriented atmosphere and not ignore realism, are added no-quit flags really necessary?

I really would like to see it.  I've had people quit out on me right when codely they were released , though according to the situation they're still subdued and couldn't get away.

MAN! I so want to say something snide right now, even though it is done and mostly forgotten...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "mansa"Because now, a thief can just run away and quit out.

If I ever saw anyone do this, I'd hunt down them and their family. Then force them to learn how to RP. Only after some serious probing of course.
ere it comes..