Priorities as a community

Started by Aruven, June 18, 2015, 02:38:53 PM

What are your areas of specific interest you want to see staff dig into?

Economy reform
25 (39.7%)
Code related reforms (combat maybe?)
19 (30.2%)
GDB reforms
2 (3.2%)
Clan related reforms (Docs? maybe)
8 (12.7%)
Others?
9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: June 21, 2015, 02:38:52 PM

I'd like to see new tiny areas be added -- ruins, caverns, buildings, wildernesses, etc. -- to bring back the sense that there could be anything out there, and that the world isn't fully charted.

I get the impression that some of this may be underway already with the new devoted building staff.

I picked code. Skill gains, guild system, bad skill-balance on subguilds, overlapping subguilds, illogical skill branching... The list goes on.

June 18, 2015, 02:46:39 PM #3 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:48:46 PM by Aruven
Cool stuff. This list can be added too, and there's a lot of stuff floating around. The staff can't do it all and people have some pretty passionate arguments. I'd like to see if we can narrow it down and agree to work on one thing at a time as a community.

I picked Economy Reform, specifically in relation to the banking code being made a more "in character" construct.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

No visible results :(
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 18, 2015, 02:44:05 PM
I picked code. Skill gains, guild system, bad skill-balance on subguilds, overlapping subguilds, illogical skill branching... The list goes on.

then

Quote from: Erythil on June 18, 2015, 02:43:38 PM
I'd like to see new tiny areas be added -- ruins, caverns, buildings, wildernesses, etc. -- to bring back the sense that there could be anything out there, and that the world isn't fully charted.

I get the impression that some of this may be underway already with the new devoted building staff.

Quote from: Barzalene on June 18, 2015, 02:54:10 PM
No visible results :(

It will be visible in less than 3 days. I decided I wanted people to pick their opinion without having to process where everyone else has their minds so they can, hopefully, speak THEIR thoughts first before diving into a million other opinions.

Priority as a community right now is Southern clay pits.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

I picked the economy, specifically I'd like more uses for coin besides pretty gear that doesn't require staff involvement.

Other: meh. I think staff is doing a pretty good job of making changes at their own pace. I like the slow and gradual changes thing, because I'm a very change-averse individual.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Combat-related skill-gain code.

This restricts my character choices probably more than anything, because I hate sucking.  I'm not so much interested in PK'ing anymore...but being shitty and useless just blows.  And yeah, if you aren't very careful with the type of life your PC has, you'll never get any better.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

If I were more altruistic I'd say the economy is probably the better investment of time.

But I'm not, so I said combat code. It's more frustrating to me personally.

A lot of it is inseparable.

An economy for example, doesn't work without being driven by consumption. In Armageddon, there is only two forms of consumption that is common to every player. That is hunger and thirst. However, it's fairly trivial to completely negate all possible expenditures related to staying fed and watered by joining a clan, where it becomes free. So the GMH hunter sells the meat he hunts/cooks instead of eating it, giving him more sids than he'd ordinarily have (a lot more sids, usually), and then some indie happens by, who can't sell his meat because the NPC grocer is now full up. There's no one but VNPCs who'll ever buy that meat, given that its cost is far out of proportion with demand or even need.

This is just one example.

Last time I was in a clan, there were rules against selling any of the stuff you hunted.  Basically everything you put in your bag belonged to the House, until your boss told you otherwise.

Code stuff would be cool, specifically crim-code and combat.

Economy has more overarching benefit, I think.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'm skeptical of that. Seems to me most complaints about the economy are "it's too hard to make money doing 'real' work, but people get lots of money doing 'stupid' work." Still just complaints about people not getting as much money as they want.

Has the spam crafter or twink hunter looking for their twenty thousand sids ever contributed meaningfully to the game? Not that I've seen.

Being unable to level up a combat character without hundreds of manhours of play stifles more RP than you not being able to sell your ivory horn or hair needle.

For me, economy is important or rather changing the economy is important, not because of the selling in shops, but because I'd love if player activity had a more immediate effect on the world. I think that would add more rp to the game than changing the combat code.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I voted for clan docs because I should know a lot of things but then shit starts happening around me and I'm just https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Qbx3ZQifM

I think the game is great right now. I think staff are working hard to make it even better. I see commitment to excellence from the player base right on up.  The game is FUN, bottom line. Yet if we are going to set priorities for stuff to work on:

Economy, although it is probably the hardest to fix.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

The GDB has been an eye sore to me. It still looks like it's from the 90's, despite the awesome, professional main page.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on June 18, 2015, 11:28:10 PM
The GDB has been an eye sore to me. It still looks like it's from the 90's, despite the awesome, professional main page.

What are forums supposed to look like, these days?

Quote from: Erythil on June 18, 2015, 02:43:38 PM

Same here.

I voted economy reform, as related to recent discussions on the ease of making & accumulating money, the silliness of the current banking system, and the shop system that reward people who happen to log in right after a reboot.

Combat skill gain would be my 2nd choice.