Master Weaponcrafters

Started by shadeoux, June 09, 2015, 12:49:11 PM

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on June 16, 2015, 08:00:35 PM
A displaced tuluki subguild would be sweet.

I was mostly being an ass. (Too soon?)

But I honestly would be for taking some of the carving/scuplting skills and throwing them together into some kind of master class.

MASTER ARTISAN
stoneworking
pottery /clayworking (whatever the skill is called)
lumberjacking
woodworking
maybe toolmaking and/or instrument working to round it out
barter/value

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I wonder if there is a cap on the number of skills in an extended subguild, which can reach masters level.

Also it would be neat to see the current master weapons maker into three different ext subguilds, one for each class of weapons. Probably not possible because some skills can produce weapons in different classes.

Or, into four separate ones Boyer (bows arrows and knives)  Point master (Spears and knives) or Edge master (Swords and axes)  Hammer master (Clubs).

I think master carpenter would be a good ext subguild:
Woodworking (Master)
Wagon making (Master)
Instrument making (Master)
Lumberjacking (Advanced)
Value/haggle (Advanced)
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

June 18, 2015, 12:11:49 PM #27 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:13:48 PM by IAmJacksOpinion
Wagonmaking doesn't count. It's a vestigial skill, not an actual skill. Other than that I'm not really opposed to a master woodworker. I just think that for the cost of a spec app you should get more than 1 useful skill. Same goes for the idea of breaking down the Master Weaponcrafter. Taking a class with 3 skills and turning it into a class with 2 skills doesn't seem appealing.

I personally don't see having 3-4 Mastercraft skills as being OP to the point that it needs to be broken down. Especially when you factor in the economy of the game. A person with just the Armorcrafting skill can churn out coins like there's no tomorrow. The material can be difficult to find if there are no good hunters around, but armor sells pretty high. A high-end helmet or breastplate can fetch you at least 800 on the PC market. Compare that to making melee weapons where there are 5 different skills and generally speaking the materials are a bit easier to find, but they sell for quite a bit less. If you pay more than 300 sid for a weapon, you're buying "look" dressing, not coded benefit.

Either way, I think it's a pretty square deal for the cost of a specapp. If the ability to make goods (and money) were OP, you should just take the merchant class where, for free, you can play the dainty dappens welp who makes silk corsets, diamond jewelry or - when the mood strikes - an obsidian spiked, horror shell breastplate with a carru horn & spider fang impaling spike where the breechguard should be. But since anyone with ample play times and a fair knowledge of the game can crank out a thousand coins per IRL day with just about any class, I see money as being vastly underpowered to begin with.

And actually, now that I'm rambling, why is the entire gamut of armor making (leather armor, shell platemail, wooden shields, helmets) summed up with a single skill, where-as the gumut of weapons are broken down into a series of skills?
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I have been wanting to play a master bowyer concept I made ages ago. But sadly not yet to be.