Tuluk Closing: A month later.

Started by RogueGunslinger, May 31, 2015, 08:55:04 PM

Have the changes greatly affected you one way or the other?

Things are better!
I haven't noticed.
Things are worse!
Other: Please Explain.
I'm interested in both the player and staff side of things, as changes were implemented to help them as much as the players and the game.

How do you all feel about the changes? How has it impacted you and the way you play? Do you think the change was for the better? Were you playing in Tuluk? If so how are you enjoying other places of the game now? If you had concerns did those concerns have merit? Is there anything that happened that was unexpected?

Personally I'm still very happy. I run into way more players, at all times of day and night. Also it seems like lots of plots are hitting the in-game message boards. If you walk by the Gaj around peak times there's always around 10 people in there. I'm very pleased with the changes so far, but I sort of wanted this to happen for a while, so that's probably not surprising.

Not a fan. 
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I haven't played a very involved character since Tuluk closed shop but I do think the increased player density in the south is nice.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, it's nice to see more characters more often. On the other hand, I'm seeing more characters more often who are either sitting idle, not interacting, as if they were linkdead or just parked at the bar while the player isn't paying attention to the game screen - or they're making a little too much effort to make use of the brawl code. I don't really see much else, that I wouldn't have seen before the Tuluk closure.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 31, 2015, 09:43:11 PM
I'm on the fence. On the one hand, it's nice to see more characters more often. On the other hand, I'm seeing more characters more often who are either sitting idle, not interacting, as if they were linkdead or just parked at the bar while the player isn't paying attention to the game screen - or they're making a little too much effort to make use of the brawl code. I don't really see much else, that I wouldn't have seen before the Tuluk closure.

This and I just feel like when I make a ranger character, that the north is missing a huge chunk of what was meant to be there.

Morin's is nice, but it's no Tuluk.

If it was "Asmoth's Arm" I would re-institute it tomorrow.

But on the flip side, it was always more of a waystation to me than a place I wanted to live and play everyday.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

It seems like by concentrating the playerbase in Allanak, it might have intensified everything I dislike about Allanak, which is a lot of what you've mentioned (people just parked at the bar, 5 hidden people in there waiting for you to go back to your apartment and a bunch of brawling idiots) because you now have a lot more players there to make it more noticeable.

I voted that I really like it thought, not because I like being stuck in Allanak but because it seems to have given a new exciting boost to the game, its players and most importantly its Staff.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on May 31, 2015, 09:52:18 PM

It seems like by concentrating the playerbase in Allanak, it might have intensified everything I dislike about Allanak, which is a lot of what you've mentioned (people just parked at the bar, 5 hidden people in there waiting for you to go back to your apartment and a bunch of brawling idiots) because you now have a lot more players there to make it more noticeable.

I voted that I really like it thought, not because I like being stuck in Allanak but because it seems to have given a new exciting boost to the game, its players and most importantly its Staff.

Well. Just because Tuluk is closed, doesn't mean you have to be stuck in Allanak. I've spent as little time in Allanak as possible since Tuluk closed, and I still find the change much better. It's given life to the whole southlands, and made the North a slightly more exotic locale. It also seems a bit more dangerous than before.

The real benefit of Tuluk's closing, is that the game could get rid of the Northern Militia, Templarate and Noble houses, and the Northern branch of every GMH. Because realistically, whatever you liked about Tuluk, the game can pretty much only handle one iteration of all those clans.

In the past, with Tuluk open, and everyone spread so thin, you would have the bare minimum. Now, it seems with more templars and nobles in the mix, concentrated in one area, there's a bit of stuff going on. As opposed to the Tuluki custom of storing one's self after a couple weeks.

There's plenty of places besides Tuluk one can go to get away from what seems to annoy Lizzie, (which to be perfectly blunt, seems able to be summed up as 'newbies').

May 31, 2015, 10:31:40 PM #9 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:34:24 PM by Pale Horse
Quote from: Clearsighted on May 31, 2015, 10:11:14 PM
There's plenty of places besides Tuluk one can go to get away from what seems to annoy Lizzie, (which to be perfectly blunt, seems able to be summed up as 'newbies').

Or, you know, those situations that she doesn't enjoy that others do.

Like..bar idling..random acts of violence...robbing the same guy for the third time this play session, etc.

I voted "Other."  I haven't had a character since before Tuluk closed!  Hell, I haven't even had a chance to check out the shops one can visit to flesh out their character before stepping IG.  My last two characters were tribals, totaling up about 4 years of actual time played.  The shops weren't implemented yet!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

My most recent character was a Naki citizen who actually lived in Allanak (I seldom play city bound PCs).
It was probably the most enjoyable city character in at least a few years.
I've never seen one area of the game so active, and I thought it was great.
It actually seems possible now to play a "nobody" where before everyone was noticed,
and nearly every character knew a little something about nearly every other character.

I look forward to coming back later in the year and seeing how things are progressing after more water has passed under the bridge.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

One thing that's been worrying me is if people are going to still play northerners genuinely loyal to Tuluk rather than somebody that just happens to have the accent and lives down south. And just confused as to who you would talk to or interact with when it came to north--especially if you need somebody of authority.

While I'd be fine seeing a capped Morin's Legion unit of PCs, and a Templar to lead them, and also to offer leadership in that area, I'd guess your best bet would be dealing with staff, or viewing Morin's as a Red Storm-ish sort of place to play, where you are the ball that gets everything rolling. I agree, though, it would be good to infuse that place with Northern patriots. No reason not to, really.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Terrible there's all these peoples trying to talk to me.
No space to sell stuff at shops.
People always hanging out in my hidey holes.
All these things are happening and I'm scared and frightened.
The apartments smell of some strange type of musk all the time.

I don't even know whats going on.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on June 01, 2015, 01:56:06 AM
Terrible there's all these peoples trying to talk to me.
No space to sell stuff at shops.
People always hanging out in my hidey holes.
All these things are happening and I'm scared and frightened.
The apartments smell of some strange type of musk all the time.

I don't even know whats going on.

I saw a pack of elves walking around and they were ragged and dirty looking.  Something big is happening.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I liked having an event that changed the direction of my and other PC life.  Like the effects of the gypsy war, only more wide spread and severe. I like what I have heard of the two cumunities that seem to have developed, though once our generation of PC s die they will lose the special flavour.
I don't like losing the experience of being in the wrong city. Background inking is not the same as being a Real Tuluki.
It seems to be good for the clans and nobility, and for indie clans as well.

Me, I'm still sad, so I'm  voting "other", meaning I approve, but  :(
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Too sum up what I was going to post
"Fuck this is pretty good"

I assume staff will help me kill muk Utep in about a week?

I love how much more staff attention Allanak is getting. For that reason I voted that this has been positive.

It's sad to see Tuluk become "virtual" but I see it as a necessary evil for an area of the game to get a deserved amount of attention.

It has been awesome so far. I still think we need at least a couple of months for having a decent idea, but as a Eastern European player, it's amazing to see so many active players around.

PS. Elves know how to rock.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: Gaare on June 01, 2015, 03:20:26 AM
PS. Elves know how to rock.
Because of their time spent as cheap slaves in the obsidian mines?

I'm liking the change. Although I haven't taken a single step into Allanak since the changes, I've seen their effects everywhere else. Places like Cenyr tend to have more than your once a month visitor now :)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I voted other. With Tuluk closing I stopped playing. Though that was more because of loosing a beloved character I feel. I love inside Allanak, but outside is meh.

I'll be back soon to give it a real go.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Do you have to store because you're basically stuck?

If you had the intention of playing a citybound role right around Tuluk closing up, this is pretty much where you are right now.

June 01, 2015, 07:03:39 AM #22 Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:10:42 AM by In Dreams
Mixed feelings!

I mean, on one hand I really just like Tuluk - and much of Tuluki culture that it feels like Allanak lacks - a lot and I really miss it. A certain element of diversity in PCs, backgrounds, and even in certain cultural stylings and possessions seems like it was lost. I miss bards. I miss fanatical northern patriotism. I miss public performances.

Oh, and I really miss the diversity that's lost when tons of shops sell silk and there are soooo maaaaany cool silk items but only like 4 people in Allanak can even possibly wear them. There needs to be more fine linen/cotton/leather alternatives to some of those silk items.

On the other hand Allanak feels really alive and populated and I like the interaction I can get whenever I want it. Clans seem more populated and represented a lot better. I could go for months, before, without seeing certain merchant and noble houses represented with PCs. Not so anymore!

Thieves seem to be somewhat rampant, like someone mentioned before. But maybe that's just how Nak is supposed to be? I don't know much about thievery but I like what it adds to the game anyway. I rarely feel safe and secure behind closed doors.

Surely it's a good thing if it's true that thieves are rampant. Now when your Bone Swordz Of MuthaFucker Chopping go missing, you won't automatically know who done it. Witch hunts against sneaky types are much harder when they throng the cities as they should.

I came back to the game because I saw the change and I've really been enjoying it. I think the fact that if you're in Allanak you can log in and be fairly certain of running into other PCs at any time of the day is amazing. It seems to me the >who counts during offpeak are much higher and consistent than they were back in the day.

I was initially skeptical, but it's turned out pretty okay.  Then again, I haven't needed to roll a new PC yet, and most of my fears were based around that, so I'm not sure a month is long enough for me to decide exactly how I feel about it.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.