New Prompt Addition: Date

Started by Taven, May 30, 2015, 11:28:16 PM

Let's talk prompts!

Right now we already have:

Quote%e   current time, if available
%d   current weekday, if available

I'd like to propose %D which would put the day and date in. So if IC it happens to be:

It is early morning on Cingel, the 191st day of the Ascending Sun,
    In the Year of Desert's Slumber, year 25 of the 22nd Age.

Then %D would have this reflected in your prompt:

> 191 AS, 25Y, 22A
(If it was Low Sun it would be LS and Descending Sun would be DS)

Thus, it's dating any given time. Why is this useful? It gives a solid reference for if you ever need to go back and look at logs, especially if you forget to type 'time' in game.

I think it'd be cool, and I'd sure use it. What do you guys think?

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I'd use it then forget what everything meant, then stop using it.

I'd be all for this. Nice idea.  :)

Quote from: Taven on May 30, 2015, 11:28:16 PMIt gives a solid reference for if you ever need to go back and look at logs, especially if you forget to type 'time' in game.

You could probably achieve this in your client right now instead of waiting for the staff to add this.

Did you see this thread the other day about adding timestamps into mushclient logs?

If you don't have mushclient then your client probably has a similar feature.

It might be hard to make it display the IC date though.  Unless you're using the code in the time converter thingy somehow.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

True, but is that really necessary?

Taven wanted this to provide "a solid reference for if you ever need to go back and look at logs."

Sure it'd be cool to have game time as an option in the prompt, but this fixes their stated problem immediately.

I'm not sure that it does.  The problem is that going back to look at logs that don't have the IC date displayed in them.  Having MushClient display the RL date doesn't fix the IC date problem I don't think.  Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I like knowing when something happened too, but it's rare that I need to know the IC date for it. In those instances I can just grab a calculator. Taven is unclear on if having the IC date is critical, or if the OOC date will server a similar purpose.

regardless, if you really must have the IC date frequently, then it's still scriptable in a client (albeit much more complicated than dropping in existing date/time variables).

When would the IC date be a lot more useful than the OOC date? Curious because I could write a mushclient plugin for this if it would be broadly useful.

when you're sitting in your highborn man cave writing important documents and drawing butts on a stack of blank scrolls to send to rivals and you forgot to check the IC date before entering the text editor so now you have no idea what to date your butt drawing
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 31, 2015, 04:16:04 PM
when you're sitting in your highborn man cave writing important documents and drawing butts on a stack of blank scrolls to send to rivals and you forgot to check the IC date before entering the text editor so now you have no idea what to date your butt drawing

http://armageddon.org/
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Agent_137 on May 31, 2015, 01:49:41 PMDid you see this thread the other day about adding timestamps into mushclient logs?

Quote from: valeria on May 31, 2015, 02:21:52 PM
It might be hard to make it display the IC date though.  Unless you're using the code in the time converter thingy somehow.

I think between the two of these things I could likely figure out any given time by converting a RL time stamp into an IC date. That Time Converter tool is super cool.

I still wouldn't mind having a way to log it in directly, but I suppose it isn't vital. I can use the long way around to date my butt drawings.  ;)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Talia on May 31, 2015, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: HavokBlue on May 31, 2015, 04:16:04 PM

http://armageddon.org/
.x time

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

what is this .x time thing?

it's not a command, and it's not in the prompt help file

It's in the editor help.

".x" causes you to input a line outside the editor, do you can perform some basic actions like talk and emote while writing. You still can't Way, though.

Well, you can, people just can't Way YOU. You can also move around, I think, but the room doesn't echo its description or name to you so you have to move around by memory. And you also stop following people in the writing editor, but anyone following you moves as if you did (unconfirmed on this one)

Are you sure, metek? I thought I remembered certain commands not being usable with .x, and I thought psi or contact or something like that was one of them. Maybe it was something else, though.