Preemptive Buff Ending Echoes - Yay or Nay?

Started by Gunnerblaster, May 29, 2015, 02:06:35 AM

May 29, 2015, 02:06:35 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:06:19 AM by Delirium
What's the feasibility of implementing a sort of preemptive ending echo for certain skills/spells?

Example:
Psionics - Skill_Barrier
"You feel the strength of your mental guard fading..."

[Magickal examples edited out - Delirium]

Having echoes like this, I feel, would make it a lot easier to feel as if a character's spells/abilities are more 'alive' instead of simply thinking of them as timed buffs to be refreshed when they end. Plus, having some sort've preemptive echo would give players a chance to adjust their roleplay according to the changes.

More examples or reasonings as of to yay/nay for this would be welcomed.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I play the sudden expiration of magickal buffs for comedy, but I think it would make more thematic sense for your guy to have an idea of when the power of the gods is about to subside from his mortal frame, instead of suddenly hitting like a kankfly when he was previously wrecking like a rantarri.

why do rantarri hit so hard

May 29, 2015, 09:07:09 AM #2 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:09:55 AM by Delirium
I edited the first post. Use fake or non-magickal examples to illustrate your point please.

Also there are no "gods" in Zalanthas save the God-King Tektolnes, heretic.

It would certainly be beneficial to mages.

I'm not sure mages need more benefits, though.

On one hand, I'd be for it, but I'd want different echoes for each spell ebbing. If you cast ebonyflesh, you should probably feel your skin becoming softer, etc.

But on the other hand, in my limited experience each spell lasts a certain amount of time depending on how hard you cast it. I'm not saying "You can do this on your own, so suck it" but in the meantime timers could help.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 29, 2015, 12:26:14 PM
On one hand, I'd be for it, but I'd want different echoes for each spell ebbing. If you cast ebonyflesh, you should probably feel your skin becoming softer, etc.

But on the other hand, in my limited experience each spell lasts a certain amount of time depending on how hard you cast it. I'm not saying "You can do this on your own, so suck it" but in the meantime timers could help.

Related to this, I would love more frequent echoes that inform your character of what is going on with their own body/mind under the effects of, say, poisons, spice, diseases(?), maybe mindworms (dunno much about that), and magick - it would help guide RP in situations that can seem somewhat underdetermined by the environment.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'd like it to display in 'stat' whether your character is strongly, averagely, or weakly affected by anything that shows there.  Including spices, barrier, etc.  Kind of like it does for perfumes.

I wouldn't want pre-echo echoes though.  That's just more because I don't like echoes in general than because I think it's a bad idea.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I advocate whatever makes quality of life harder for the average gicker. Not because Gunner's idea isn't a good one (it is!) but on general principle.