Crafts need retooling (IMO).

Started by Asmoth, May 28, 2015, 07:14:25 PM

Alright so there are a ton of crafting skills that utilize X piece and part that require another skill that isn't included in the subguild.

For example, it's difficult find small pieces of bones if you don't have skin.

I think that, except for some extreme cases, you should be able to get the main raw material gaining skills that each of your subguilds require need.

One of the most annoying things about crafting is having to track down another player to break X down into Y, which you could do with a newbie ranger or whatever.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I just crazy?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Once you get to X in a certain crafting class you should get a very limited/probably shitty version of the gathering that goes up to whatever.

Maybe even master if god loves me
(He doesnt)

It sounds like a good idea, but it doesnt encourage more intereactions.

May 28, 2015, 07:27:00 PM #2 Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:29:29 PM by Clearsighted
Quote from: Asmoth on May 28, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Alright so there are a ton of crafting skills that utilize X piece and part that require another skill that isn't included in the subguild.

For example, it's difficult find small pieces of bones if you don't have skin.

I think that, except for some extreme cases, you should be able to get the main raw material gaining skills that each of your subguilds require need.

One of the most annoying things about crafting is having to track down another player to break X down into Y, which you could do with a newbie ranger or whatever.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I just crazy?

I think it's supposed to promote interdependence, in that no one can be an entirely self-sufficient, Minecraft-esque island.

I do think crafting needs a bit of retooling though, but I'd start with merchants. I'd make an entirely new class, that was more of an urban/social/noble archetype, which might be applicable to agents, merchants, nobles, etc, and maybe with one or two perks unique to them (the ability to ultimately hire a single NPC, for example, if you manage to get licensed by the templarate). They'd get Cavilish, haggle, value, etc of course. And then I'd leave crafting entirely to subguilds.

What bothers me most about crafting though, is instances where I can't say, make an arrow, because it needs one color of feather, and I have a different color feather. A lot of it is trial and error, and you'd never know how to make it or if it was even possible. That can be both fun and frustrating. I'd almost rather be able to access a list of available recipes, and have people teach them...

First off I feel your pain. It's pretty annoying. Butttt....

Tip #1. You can buy small pieces of bone at the butcher. It's awesome.

Tip #2 is, if you have 'some 'sids, contact a well known hunter or hunting clan in-game. There's even an independent one in-game right now which is booming and is probably your best bet.

Tip #3 I think everyone gets skinning to at least apprentice levels? Might be wrong, but you can get skinning up too... Killing the creatures might be hard but lots of weakass chaltons out there.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 28, 2015, 07:35:55 PM
First off I feel your pain. It's pretty annoying. Butttt....

Tip #1. You can buy small pieces of bone at the butcher. It's awesome.

Tip #2 is, if you have 'some 'sids, contact a well known hunter or hunting clan in-game. There's even an independent one in-game right now which is booming and is probably your best bet.

Tip #3 I think everyone gets skinning to at least apprentice levels? Might be wrong, but you can get skinning up too... Killing the creatures might be hard but lots of weakass chaltons out there.

Not everyone gets skinning. Of those who don't get skinning, it's possible to still manage to get a little meat from a creature, if the RNG favors you that day.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 28, 2015, 07:35:55 PM

Tip #3 I think everyone gets skinning to at least apprentice levels?

I wish. In my opinion it is such a basic survival skill that it should be branched with enough use and go up to apprentice or so but yeah. Not so.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The only thing I've noticed I don't have decent access to is wood. I can't imagine why....

Related, I don't think that crafts just need retooling (some actually use the "need a fire" or "requires a tool to craft" code) but I also think the tool code needs re-crafting. They only seem to degrade IF being used by the new code, which very few things seem to.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

In my limited experience, tool use is also a little buggy right now and tools seem to degrade very quickly.

I don't mind that you sometimes have to seek out other crafters to provide you with raw materials.  It gives hunter/gatherer-type clans something to do.  And if you want to play a fully self-sufficient crafter, there's a guild for that.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Riev on May 29, 2015, 12:24:19 PM
The only thing I've noticed I don't have decent access to is wood. I can't imagine why....
I saw what you did there! There should be some type of area in or around allanak that you can forage wood honestly.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Quote from: Asmoth on May 29, 2015, 01:25:45 PM
I saw what you did there! There should be some type of area in or around allanak that you can forage wood honestly.

No.

While I don't think Allanak needs a source of wood, it kind of sucks there's skills branching off lumberjacking that don't necessarily involve wood.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 29, 2015, 01:27:22 PM
Quote from: Asmoth on May 29, 2015, 01:25:45 PM

No.
Show me on this doll where the wood touched you, you're safe here.

Allanak exists in a harsh, near waterless desert landscape. There are no oasis nearby, there are no sheltered canyons. There's no where for wood to be foraged.

I might support a small oasis way out somewhere, deep in spider country. But you're better off contracting other PCs to go north for you and get wood the easy way.

You make it too easy to be self-sufficient in the south, you're going to encourage the same structural problems that contributed to Tuluk's closure.

May 29, 2015, 02:01:23 PM #13 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:07:53 PM by Asmoth
Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 29, 2015, 01:58:02 PM
Allanak exists in a harsh, near waterless desert landscape. There are no oasis nearby, there are no sheltered canyons. There's no where for wood to be foraged.

I might support a small oasis way out somewhere, deep in spider country. But you're better off contracting other PCs to go north for you and get wood the easy way.

You make it too easy to be self-sufficient in the south, you're going to encourage the same structural problems that contributed to Tuluk's closure.
I see your point in a sense, but crafters shouldn't have to rely on others for a major resource.

Promoting interdependence isn't the same as denning self sufficiency.

Plus, at least from my experience, the groups that do such things demand such a high premium it's not worth it for folks to pay them unless they are already pretty wealthy to begin with because x group will charge you a large to go ride up and get a few logs and sticks.

Yes, they should. Relying on each other on major resources is the best grounds for interdependence and will lead to a lot more interesting opportunities than if we simply relied on each other for gizmos and doohickeys.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 29, 2015, 02:06:15 PM
Yes, they should. Relying on each other on major resources is the best grounds for interdependence and will lead to a lot more interesting opportunities than if we simply relied on each other for gizmos and doohickeys.
Read my edit above, I thought I could sneak it in before you responded and failed.

Quote from: Asmoth on May 29, 2015, 02:01:23 PM
Plus, at least from my experience, the groups that do such things demand such a high premium it's not worth it for folks to pay them unless they are already pretty wealthy to begin with because x group will charge you a large to go ride up and get a few logs and sticks.

So go elsewhere. Find another group. Hire dusty breeds with a beetle to ride north and bring home the goods, "Cash on delivery." Tap in to masses of poor newbies with nothing to lose by working for you. Make a tavern post to effect that you're hiring. It just takes a bit of effort and creativity and time.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 29, 2015, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Asmoth on May 29, 2015, 02:01:23 PM

So go elsewhere. Find another group. Hire dusty breeds with a beetle to ride north and bring home the goods, "Cash on delivery." Tap in to masses of poor newbies with nothing to lose by working for you. Make a tavern post to effect that you're hiring. It just takes a bit of effort and creativity and time.

Be the change.

Like I've said before, I branched every skill on a c-elf merchant who never left allanak.  If you can't negotiate a contract that secures you wood for a profit, you just suck at playing a merchant.  Sorry, but it's the truth.

As far as the multi-craft-required recipes are concerned...deal with it IC.  Again, if you can't figure out how to make a crafting subclass work, you're probably just bad at it, because aint none of them broken.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 30, 2015, 05:32:55 PM
Like I've said before, I branched every skill on a c-elf merchant who never left allanak.  If you can't negotiate a contract that secures you wood for a profit, you just suck at playing a merchant.  Sorry, but it's the truth.

As far as the multi-craft-required recipes are concerned...deal with it IC.  Again, if you can't figure out how to make a crafting subclass work, you're probably just bad at it, because aint none of them broken.
Then they require better documentation.  Saying "you just suck at it" solves nothing.

At least on the wood end, I actually don't have a hard time on my PCs getting wood in Allanak. Sure, its not EASY. Sometimes it requires going through a few people who end up doing a poor job. I often have a harder time finding a place to -keep- the wood.

More than anything, I think what frustrates me is the seeming prevalence of wood in many crafts. I just need to roll up a Merchant, play the grind guess-and-check game for a while, master some skills, and change that.

.... Who wants to buy mastercraft slots?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 30, 2015, 05:32:55 PM
Like I've said before, I branched every skill on a c-elf merchant who never left allanak. 

You have my deepest sympathies.