Prettiness Guilt

Started by In Dreams, May 27, 2015, 11:31:28 AM

Hate to break away from all the misandry  but I think some females expect to be treated nicer because they are females. It becomes a chore to disabuse them of that notion as well. As well as people who think they have rights.

Seriously? I've had a female sergeant in the Legions, and that went fine, as far as I could tell. How exactly do these people make it past an RL week, let alone to corporal?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

it's not misandry to call out misogynists.

Gimf's stories don't surprise me in the least. Kinda par for the course imo.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Beethoven on May 28, 2015, 03:39:26 PM
Maybe so, but the complaints seemed decidedly one sided. There are no experiences with female characters misplaying equal gender society? I find that doubtful.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 28, 2015, 03:36:53 PM
Hate to break away from all the misandry

Talking about specific things that male players (and their PCs) have done in game which reveal sexist attitudes is not misandry, and I don't appreciate the labeling of it as such. It is legitimate to talk about sexism that happens in game and I won't be silenced about it by inaccurate and misleading use of the word "misandry."

Quote from: Patuk on May 28, 2015, 03:38:06 PM
Seriously? I've had a female sergeant in the Legions, and that went fine, as far as I could tell. How exactly do these people make it past an RL week, let alone to corporal?

IIRC--this was a few years back now--but he never, ever did this shit when there was any other male leader around. Nor usually when there were any other PCs around. We had to spend a lot of time together doing drudge work because, you know, leadership. Or he'd make comments over the Way. Etc.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

While I agree with Beethoven, this thread is veering off topic.

Just to remind you all, this thread is about playing pretty pcs, and feeling guilty (or not) about doing so.  There wasn't any specification in the original post about gender, by the way.  If you'd like to discuss sexism in armageddon, maybe it's time for a new topic.

Just to throw my opinion out there, I don't feel guilty for playing pretty pcs.  I usually find I'm a little bored playing conventionally attractive, mainstream magazine-type beautiful people.  But I play whatever I want.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I think it's more of a problem of enforcement when most of the male population (you all, me included?) support women to be docile, subservient, sextoy playthings as opposed to independent asskickers.

That's not to say that you shouldn't be subservient or rule following as an asskicker. But y'know what I mean. As soon as my PC says one thing slightly mean or something slightly out of line with the female girly image, she's labeled as a hardcore bitch and has to climb up a mountain twice as tall.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 28, 2015, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: Beethoven on May 28, 2015, 03:39:26 PM
There are no experiences with female characters misplaying equal gender society?

Sure there are. But then people go 'erryone gon be assholes play whatchu want' and those thoughts are silenced.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

May 28, 2015, 03:51:53 PM #109 Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:56:50 PM by KankWhisperer
Quote from: Gimfalisette on May 28, 2015, 03:44:56 PM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 28, 2015, 03:36:53 PM
Hate to break away from all the misandry

Talking about specific things that male players (and their PCs) have done in game which reveal sexist attitudes is not misandry, and I don't appreciate the labeling of it as such. It is legitimate to talk about sexism that happens in game and I won't be silenced about it by inaccurate and misleading use of the word misandry."Complain

If I heard any one of you criticize females and their take on sexism I might change my mind. Only complaining about one side makes me think I am applying the term within reason.

To be clear, I don't support males not respecting their leaders because they are females.

I would say more about how you shouldn't have to go out of your way to "balance it out" in order to express your negative experiences, lest you be called a misandrist, but it's already been said that we're veering off topic.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 28, 2015, 03:51:53 PM
If I heard any one of you criticize females and their take on sexism I might change my mind. Only complaining about one side makes me think I am applying the term within reason.

So you're saying that I'm sexist because I don't have any specific experiences of female PCs being sexist in game to relate? This is me oppressing the men, that I have only personally experienced sexism from men? Uh. OK!

And now I too am done here, because this shit is illogical and pointless. Also because Laura said so.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

While all opinions are...what they are...I really do think this sort of discussion merits its own thread.  

Though keep in mind that threads discussing gender differences historically have a very high lock rate.  It's a sensitive topic, for a huge list of reasons.  So please just keep things civil, try not to be inflammatory, and remember everyone here is either a human being, or a very smart dog or spider.  Regardless, respect them.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on May 28, 2015, 04:01:35 PM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 28, 2015, 03:51:53 PM

So you're saying that I'm sexist because I don't have any specific experiences of female PCs being sexist in game to relate? This is me oppressing the men, that I have only personally experienced sexism from men? Uh. OK!

And now I too am done here, because this shit is illogical and pointless. Also because Laura said so.

I don't know why you feel singled out in the first place.  There were several posts complaining about male role play. The misandry word is a reference to the accumulation of posts, in a failed attempt at humor, and not directed at any person in particular.

This is going to sound slightly crazy, but I am absolutely positive that I read a bunch of northern nobility files that specifically had family appearance attached to them.

However, upon review both on the site and in-game it appears Dasari is the only one that has an appearance snippet.

I totally remember them existing, though. I definitely remember reading one of the closed Houses was super popular for marrying into because high fertility rates and pretty babies.

What happened to the documentation?

Quote from: aeglaeca on May 28, 2015, 04:10:21 PM
This is going to sound slightly crazy, but I am absolutely positive that I read a bunch of northern nobility files that specifically had family appearance attached to them.

However, upon review both on the site and in-game it appears Dasari is the only one that has an appearance snippet.

I totally remember them existing, though. I definitely remember reading one of the closed Houses was super popular for marrying into because high fertility rates and pretty babies.

What happened to the documentation?

Deeper documentation (as in, once you're in the clan and you have access to most docs) almost always go into physical details.

Dasari might be the special case where they actually talk about it within public docs.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm not cool enough to have had access to the sekret documentation.

Also, it seems like that would be sort of useful to have as public knowledge just to have another potential nobility identifier (which was why I was reading these clan docs in the first place, I was trying to tell if there was an sdesc nobility tell so I wouldn't have to be so brazen as to look at nobles for their rings.)

Quote from: aeglaeca on May 28, 2015, 04:13:23 PM

Also, it seems like that would be sort of useful to have as public knowledge just to have another potential nobility identifier (which was why I was reading these clan docs in the first place, I was trying to tell if there was an sdesc nobility tell so I wouldn't have to be so brazen as to look at nobles for their rings.)

There was for Uaptal, I believe. And I'm not sure if it was a rolecall or docs but there was also something about Tenneshi.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

I thought you could look <person>'s signet to do that?

Quote from: Alesan on May 28, 2015, 04:15:17 PM

I thought you could look <person>'s signet to do that?

Only if they aren't wearing gloves which cover their rings.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Just look at  PCs. Until "look" is a hemote, their PCs are just going to have to deal with the echo.

If you still want to be stealthy about it, you can try various "look <person>'s <keyword>".

My favorite is "look <person>'s gem" to make sure I'm not talking to a filthy magicker.

I think that was House Uaptal, otherwise known as House Twinblondes.

I wish more about noble house appearances stuff was public.  That's cool flavor.

The docs don't tell you to respectnod or bow to nobles either (or not call Lady Templars "my lady" like I did). I kind of think of looks as just being another one of those things you have to learn in game. I've also seen enough exceptions to how a noble of a given house "should" look to think there's little grounds for saying "All nobles of House Daaaayum are daaayum fine."

I know I've been told by Staff, on several occasions, that "all noble ladies of House Redacted having silver hair is just something players came up with and self-reinforce." Figured it was true for other houses as well.

The docs on how nobles look for Tuluk, at least, were removed because they set a norm that wouldn't have really held up very well with all the inbreeding and whatnot. (At least, from what I was told.) They were on the old website, but were removed so people didn't get confused.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

It's also been discussed elsehwere that the noble houses of both cities intermarry with each other enough (or add to the bloodline through bastardization) that there's probably not enough actual inbreeding going on for dominant physical and defining traits to arise. Which is probably a good thing, as noble inbreeding has, historically, produced some less than attractive specimens.

Pucker up.