Prettiness Guilt

Started by In Dreams, May 27, 2015, 11:31:28 AM

Quote from: Beethoven on May 27, 2015, 01:25:07 PM
My male PCs are almost always relatively pretty and my female PCs are almost always rugged, muscled sidewalk-spitters.

Damn, quit reminding me that dudes play female PCs. Ruining my MUDsexing.

Quote from: Rolav on May 28, 2015, 12:40:23 PM
Quote from: Beethoven on May 27, 2015, 01:25:07 PM
My male PCs are almost always relatively pretty and my female PCs are almost always rugged, muscled sidewalk-spitters.

Damn, quit reminding me that dudes play female PCs. Ruining my MUDsexing.

What if it's the other way around?

Re: Barz's thoughts, my anecdotal experience suggests that pretty male PCS also get less respect. Unless it's a particular subset of manpretty with muscles and a lantern jaw.

I think it more has to do with lifestyle though.  If you don't look rugged and capable, you're going to have to try harder to prove that your rugged and capable, imo.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Who says I am a dude. Or will it also ruin your mudsexing if you know that females play male PCs?

Quote from: Beethoven on May 28, 2015, 12:58:19 PM
Who says I am a dude. Or will it also ruin your mudsexing if you know that females play male PCs?

Nooooo, stahp! But yeah that doesn't really apply to me.

I should play an ultra pretty guy with long flowing hair and delicate but strong symmetrical features and is a warrior with a bone sword.

Yeah... I'm into this.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've promised a friend that my next PC will be an fme. Wish me luck!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 28, 2015, 01:29:57 PM
I should play an ultra pretty guy with long flowing hair and delicate but strong symmetrical features and is a warrior with a bone sword.

Yeah... I'm into this.

And at least one line mentioning the tapering of his waist.

Yeah... I'm into this.

I tried this once and fate retaliated by giving me the worst stat roll of my life up to that point (I've since gotten 1 worse).

Yeah... I'm into this.

?

Quote from: Desertman on May 28, 2015, 11:17:32 AM
If they aren't taking you seriously it isn't because, "People don't take pretty women seriously...oh the persecution of my gender.", it is because you aren't dangerous enough to demand respect.

Well, yes...but also no. E.g. playing a militia Sergeant who was a hottie AND was also a fucking badass with a vicious streak, with many PCs in the city being pretty legit terrified of her? I still had to deal with assholes in the jail cells saying things like, "I won't take orders from a woman!" (True fucking story!) Also with minions whose attitudes were clearly based on the fact that both the player and the PC were female; my leadership was seen as less authoritative because I'm a woman.

Sexism does happen in game, Dman. You're just gonna have to take my word for it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah... I'm into this.

So, basically Legolas.

I'll make a character based off Brienne of Tarth and they can be best buds.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on May 28, 2015, 02:09:42 PM
Quote from: Desertman on May 28, 2015, 11:17:32 AM
If they aren't taking you seriously it isn't because, "People don't take pretty women seriously...oh the persecution of my gender.", it is because you aren't dangerous enough to demand respect.

Well, yes...but also no. E.g. playing a militia Sergeant who was a hottie AND was also a fucking badass with a vicious streak, with many PCs in the city being pretty legit terrified of her? I still had to deal with assholes in the jail cells saying things like, "I won't take orders from a woman!" (True fucking story!) Also with minions whose attitudes were clearly based on the fact that both the player and the PC were female; my leadership was seen as less authoritative because I'm a woman.

Sexism does happen in game, Dman. You're just gonna have to take my word for it.

When did this happem?

Hell, I don't even care when it happened. It seems like the perfect excuse for any sergeant to execute the idiot.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Delirium on May 28, 2015, 02:53:53 PM

Yeah... I'm into this.

So, basically Legolas.

I'll make a character based off Brienne of Tarth and they can be best buds.

You say Legolas.... I say let Jaime's hair grow out some more.

Cause I keep picturing this:

Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Having played a female Sergeant in AoD and many other gurl leaders, I can relate to Gimf's plight. I remember this one time my PC was dragging some idiot to the cells and he shouted "YOU POWER HUNGRY BITCH!" So she knocked him out then continued dragging him to the cells.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Patuk on May 28, 2015, 03:02:41 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on May 28, 2015, 02:09:42 PM

When did this happem?

Hell, I don't even care when it happened. It seems like the perfect excuse for any sergeant to execute the idiot.

Happened in the Byn.  Executions included.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I guess, the reality is that women are just as capable of commanding respect. Maybe women need to work harder to win it. Women with dewy skin and rosebud lips have some extra obstacles to overcome, on that front!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Is Friday on May 28, 2015, 03:06:18 PM
Having played a female Sergeant in AoD and many other gurl leaders, I can relate to Gimf's plight. I remember this one time my PC was dragging some idiot to the cells and he shouted "YOU POWER HUNGRY BITCH!" So she knocked him out then continued dragging him to the cells.
Bitch feels awkward as an insult to me.

Am I sexist in that I prefer working for strong female PCs?

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 28, 2015, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on May 28, 2015, 03:06:18 PM
Bitch feels awkward as an insult to me.

Yeah...

It's certainly silly, but it's also all examples of idiots speaking up and getting bitchslapped(pun intended) over it. I'd be a lot more worried if this were about templars not promoting women because vagina, or something to that effect.

How about I just go all out with it

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Patuk on May 28, 2015, 03:16:13 PM
It's certainly silly, but it's also all examples of idiots speaking up and getting bitchslapped(pun intended) over it. I'd be a lot more worried if this were about templars not promoting women because vagina, or something to that effect.

It's more that it really grinds on my psyche to have to constantly be proving myself harder just because I'm a woman. And it's not just idiots speaking up, it's also shit like...that one minion who constantly told my PC how much he wanted to fuck her, then would tell her how much better he'd be at the Sergeant job than she was, and finally would act out rebelliously against her in particular by disobedience or backtalk (instead of at the male Lieutenant or the male templar). It was fucking exhausting having to tend to his little man-child fee-fees about reporting to a woman.

Obvs I straight-up murdered him.

If your psyche is telling you that you have to prove anything, that is your psyche doing so, not anyone else's. Dude was dumb. Dude acted out of line. You don't ICly have anything to prove to that dumb a recruit. Yes, he was wrong. He was also a nobody, and got schooled on how Zalanthas worked. All is well.

Quote from: Patuk on May 28, 2015, 03:30:54 PM
If your psyche is telling you that you have to prove anything, that is your psyche doing so, not anyone else's.

Uh. Well, OK, man.

Also the minion was my Corporal. Not a recruit. My Corporal.

I've seen enough of the insecure man-childness in game to think Gimf has the right of it here, Patuk. Especially in military clans (or maybe just the AOD, where 90% of my experience is). Gay male characters get less eyebrows raised than female leaders.