What if the code worked totally different?

Started by Asmoth, May 25, 2015, 03:31:29 PM

I was reading a lot from another game and it got me thinking...

What if your characters never left the world, just went to sleep when you quit?

It would make Burglars the scariest thing ever as it sits today.

It would make people actually have to trust their clan members.

But it would make the game seem a little more real when you see thowe thirty bynners all sleeping in the barracks etc.

I dunno, just thought of it and figured that it would be a cool change. However I realize it will never happen lol.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Would be awful for people who can't play constantly.

Quote from: Beethoven on May 25, 2015, 03:32:55 PM
Would be awful for people who can't play constantly.
Yeah, maybe we could hypothetically code it to leave them in the world for 24 hours, so after that they become virtual again?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

I've played a game that did this. When you logged out in your living quarters, it would bar the door (provided no one else also using it as a living quarters was logged in), and the communal quit room would actually remove you from the game until you logged back in, because these very concerns were frequently exploited. I mean, it does look pretty neat, but, it's like giving a bunch of blindfolded people in a china shop sticks and hoping they only hit the pinata.

Feel free to go linkdead instead of logging out! Achieves same purpose, requires no new code!
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on May 25, 2015, 03:44:32 PM
Feel free to go linkdead instead of logging out! Achieves same purpose, requires no new code!
Can I go link dead with a changed ldesc? If so, challenge accepted since I'm on a throw away character currently.

Probably wouldn't do it on an important one though.

Quote from: Asmoth on May 25, 2015, 03:46:26 PM
Can I go link dead with a changed ldesc? If so, challenge accepted since I'm on a throw away character currently.

As long as you're not poweremoting or attempting to control what happens around your PC via ldesc. E.g., it's not cool to change your ldesc to "is here totally watching you, utterly aware." Or to, "uses tai-chi on you to kick your ass."

If you're going to leave your PC in game when you're not there to control it, stuff could happen, and you are taking responsibility for that stuff.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Asmoth on May 25, 2015, 03:31:29 PM

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 25, 2015, 03:56:32 PM
Quote from: Asmoth on May 25, 2015, 03:31:29 PM

I was picturing the exact same thing.  ;)

Quote from: Talia on May 25, 2015, 03:54:15 PM

As long as you're not poweremoting or attempting to control what happens around your PC via ldesc. E.g., it's not cool to change your ldesc to "is here totally watching you, utterly aware." Or to, "uses tai-chi on you to kick your ass."

If you're going to leave your PC in game when you're not there to control it, stuff could happen, and you are taking responsibility for that stuff.

How do you go linkdead in such a way that you don't starve to death? Is there a secret to it?

Quote from: Quell on May 25, 2015, 06:56:51 PM
Quote from: Talia on May 25, 2015, 03:54:15 PM

How do you go linkdead in such a way that you don't starve to death? Is there a secret to it?

Yeah, if you're linkdead then hunger/thirst code doesn't affect you.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteWhat if the code worked totally different?

Outdoors characters would go extinct.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

May 26, 2015, 02:00:12 PM #12 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:02:15 PM by KankWhisperer
Just make your character be there sleeping for 1-5 minutes to give people a chance but not indefinitely.

Or that long before it let's you log off. It would likely just be too annoying, but I'm guilty of not sleeping very often.