Couple suggestions for mounts

Started by SailorMars, September 25, 2003, 04:44:10 PM

1) Allow packing an animal that is hitched to you, but you are not mounted on. You lose all kinds of pack-animal potential because the mount has to handle your character's weight, in addition to the cargo, even if you get off after packing.

2) Don't allow a mount to be rented that it hitched to you. Only the hitchee should be able to rent it.

Thoughts  :?:
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

1) Great idea.  It's been suggested before, not sure if it's possible.

2) This isn't the case already??  :shock:
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Completely agreed.  Mounting should not be a requirement to tie a bag onto a kank's side.

And the no renting a mount not hitched to you is sound as well, though I normally just stay mounted until everyone else has stabled there's.  Can't rent it with me on it.

1. Great idea. It is possible, but involves some rewritting of the code.

2. Great idea, and no, currently, it does not check who the hitchee is.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

1. I'm about 99% certain that in the past you -could- pack things onto mounts whithout actually having to mount them first. I believe it was removed due to some sort of exploitation/abuse of a bug.. but my memory is a little hazy on that. I really wish this was still possible, because it makes pack mounts a lot more useful/realistic.

2. Definitely agree with this. It's a pain in the ass when someone stables your mount on you.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

I think it's pretty obvious ... the IC reason is that they're too big for you to pack 'em while on the ground - duh!
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Kanks, maybe. But erdlus?
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Erdlu's not much of a pack animal if you ask me ..... can't carry all that much.

60-odd stones is better than a swift kick in the butt.

I won't argue, I'm just saying the reason, and since no one in their right mind will use an erdlu for a pack animal, when there are kanks around, that's the way it is.

Well, I don't want to bicker about something that's off the topic (too late) but erdlus (according to docs) move faster than kanks, and I think d-elves would use them.  But, for obvious reasons, they wouldn't want to be seen mounted on one.

QuoteI think it's pretty obvious ... the IC reason is that they're too big for you to pack 'em while on the ground - duh!

Should this have had [sarcasm] tags around it, I hope?
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Quote from: "Dirr"I think it's pretty obvious ... the IC reason is that they're too big for you to pack 'em while on the ground - duh!

Wait a second...
Not too big for a dwarf to mount...
Quote from: "Armageddon help file on races"Physically, dwarves stand between 52 and 58 inches
But too big to reach up and tie a pack on it?
What if it's resting?

Maybe they come with a stepstool.   :roll:

As a tag on to this... So how big are kanks and inix, etc?

Is my kank as tall as an elephant, or a horse?

Is my inix as tall as a dinosaur or a camel?

When you assess mounts, they appear to be many times bigger than you. So how exactly are we mounting these things? A step ladder?

I rarely rp saddling my mounts, but have occasionally been confronted with authority figures checking the straps of my mount's saddle, or wanting to watch me saddle up the kank correctly. How exactly does one saddle a mount that's many times taller than you? Does the strap of the saddle fit in between the kank's many legs? Is the saddle lashed with ropes. Would you even bother saddling it? Saddles sound expensive. These questions have often plagued me.

I guess people have ridden both elephants and horses... And both can be rigged up with gear, and in the case of elephants, large boxes that princesses and rich overseers ride in, if movies have taught me anything. It would just be nice to know which exactly we were trying to rp.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

I can't really find anything currently on zalanthian tack, but I remember a very long time ago either this item existed or it was on the desc of a kank, they don't have saddles, instead a set of reigns(probly spelled wrong) And a set of riding leathers I think it was, simply a wide leather strap with a loop on each end that was thrown over the kank and you could put your feet in, was more for comfert then anything I think.

Guess ya need to find somebody with a better memory then me, I could be imagining it, after all, if the existed, the last time I saw it was like 9 years ago.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If they are so big you can't pack them then why not limit where you are hit when you are riding them to the waist down?  Unless of course you are a half-giant or something.  I mean to point out how could a dwarf hit the head of a human rider on a kank?  Can they jump up like doing a slam dunk in full armor and swing at your head?  It just seems kind of strange to me :) 8)

I really don't see any reason why we can't pack kanks that are hitched to you while on the ground. Stands to reason that if you can mount them, you should be able to pack them. How you mount is an interesting questions as well, you always get "so and so jumps up onto a brown kank's back" as long as all our characters aren't like Micheal Jordan and soaring into the air to get on top of our kanks, we should be able to pack them on the ground. ::shrug::

So I agree with Sailor Mars on both accounts, I mean, how frusterating is it when someone accidentally rents the kank that is hitched to you and then you are trying to rent your kank, but all the stable hand tells you is "I see no such kank here." I think that this just makes sense. Realistically, when trying to rent a kank, you would just offer the reins that were in your hand, right? Not the reins of the guy standing next to you.
iles:"Into each generation a slayer is born. One girl, in all the world, a chosen one. One born with the..."

Buffy:"...the strength and skill to hunt the vampires, to stop the spread of evil, BLAH BLAH BLAH I've heard it before, okay?"

Its more of a code problem than anything else, I believe.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.