Spamcasting!

Started by thewolfen3, May 16, 2015, 03:49:05 AM

The problem is that the magick system nearly demands spam casting at a certain point of progression with a particular []. Either that or I don't understand how progression works with the system.

Spamcasting has a place at a specific point in skill mastery, but until you get to that point, there's a better way to go about things.

Quote from: Eyeball on May 19, 2015, 03:12:46 PM
The problem is that the magick system nearly demands spam casting at a certain point of progression with a particular []. Either that or I don't understand how progression works with the system.

Naw, not really.  There are short windows where it might speed things up a bit, but the system definitely doesn't demand it.

I think the best advice I can give, as how I personally treat the game world, is that you're playing a character first, and a set of coded skills second. Make your PC live as you play, and have fun with your working at skilling up. Don't be afraid to take time off leveling, and going out and doing things a living, breathing person would do. Or maybe be fanatical about being the greatest and overdoing it a bit - but make sure that whatever you're doing is expressed through your characters actions and emotions. Not only does it keep one from looking like a random skillbot, it'll likely make one enjoy their character that much more in the end.

A question like - do you HAVE to spam cast - I HAD to jump in ;)

You don't HAVE to spam any skill or spell.

You MAY opt to do so.

Interspersed with appropriate RP and at realistic time intervals - will make it more palatable to Staff as well as other players.

If you sit in a spot and start spam casting or skilling or crafting - without doing anything else and zero RP - expect "bad stuff" (tm) to happen to you....

As far as magickers in particular - one thing I've experienced is - for a solo rogue PC, there are certain *conditions* (for lack of any other term which will not reveal IC info) which are more helpful in casting your spells, and also that it is not always easy (ICLY and OOCLY time constraint wise, to get to those optimum conditions every time you log in - so, i would personally say that spamming spells sometimes is fine.

As against this - if you're running a gemmed mage - you have the freedom to practicse your spells throughout the entire day in your temple - so you have more flexibility in spacing out your spell casting.

I hope that helps in some small way.

PS: This is my personal opinion - Staff might have varying opinions - T&C's apply ;)
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Hm. How much casting is 'spam' casting?

My personal opinion is give it the same bar as sparring.

Sparring for half a day is pretty common.

Sparring for an entire day is uncommon.

Sparring for an entire day and night is unrealistic/powergamey.

Quote from: Beethoven on June 11, 2015, 10:59:42 AM
Morning through night in a concealed location without any emotes whatsoever.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 11, 2015, 11:07:57 AM

Sparring for an entire day and night is unrealistic/powergamey a complete waste of time.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 11, 2015, 11:13:19 AM

Sparring for half a day is pretty common.a complete waste of time.

Sparring for an entire day is uncommon.a complete waste of time.

Sparring for an entire day and night is unrealistic/powergamey a complete waste of time.

ftfy

Quote from: bcw81 on June 11, 2015, 11:08:19 AM
Quote from: Beethoven on June 11, 2015, 10:59:42 AM
Morning through night in a concealed location without any emotes whatsoever.

Ah, well, no, that is not necessary.

Sparring for an entire day and night is unrealistic/powergamey.

I used to spamcast for half a day, every day. Nyr pointed it out and told me to stop doing it.

Quote from: Incognito on June 11, 2015, 05:25:00 AM

You MAY opt to do so.

My experience is that you do need to spam somewhat, after a certain point for a given [], to [] in any reasonable length of time.

Quote from: Eyeball on June 12, 2015, 12:05:15 AM

You MAY opt to do so.

My experience is that you do need to spam somewhat, after a certain point for a given [], to [] in any reasonable length of time.

Only if you want a gain every training session. Which is sort of meta-gamey.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 12, 2015, 12:47:25 AM
Quote from: Eyeball on June 12, 2015, 12:05:15 AM

You MAY opt to do so.

Only if you want a gain every training session. Which is sort of meta-gamey.

Let's say you [] once a game day then, and play two games days each RL day.

In my experience, it would take 150 RL days to [].

That almost seems kind of fast to me, if by [] you mean conjure Medusa hair.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

It's interesting how the system works. Make it easier and the people who can play for 8+ hours a day will be getting maxed character in a couple weeks. Make it harder and the people who only have 1-2 hours a day will take 6+ months. And then of course there's those skills that don't quite play by the rules.

I think the realistic answer lies somewhere in giving people the ability to make slowly generating skill bump allocations based on their time logged out of the game. And for the ones that don't play by the rules you can make successes cause gains.

But, of course, that's only if you want everyone to be able to gain skills at generally the same rates, with the only modifiers being time since creation and character intelligence. I'm sure the person putting in all those extra hours might feel like they're getting cheated if it were the case.

It doesn't take long to max a gicker, whatever your playtimes.

We need skills. I wouldn't play if we didn't have skills. But, I'd rather not have to grind to get them. A system of any sort that allowed me to make gains and still have fun RPing would be the most ideal. Most of my characters end up half-skilled in combat because I'd rather RP. But to RP certain characters, you need skills, so you need to grind.

I always end up being the guy who's bark is worse than his bite.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 12, 2015, 04:24:52 AM
We need skills. I wouldn't play if we didn't have skills. But, I'd rather not have to grind to get them. A system of any sort that allowed me to make gains and still have fun RPing would be the most ideal. Most of my characters end up half-skilled in combat because I'd rather RP. But to RP certain characters, you need skills, so you need to grind.

I always end up being the guy who's bark is worse than his bite.

Play more magickers, problem solved! But yes, I hear you about any other class, re: combat skills.

So I was reading the faq that Nyr posted about magickers and skimmed over how they manifested. Trauma and developed at an early age and  something else... anyway.

What if there was someone who had an affinity but had no idea. Grew up her whole life as a gardener. You know, bringing things to life and stuff and it wasn't just easy for her she made the impossible happen. - she just chalked it up to her being the best damn gardener ever.

What's everyone's view on this person? They're using their magick and they've been doing it their whole lives. Would that be considered training?... should this person ''practice magick IC'' Or just emote it subtle-like. (or both) Or should they emote their ability at all?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on June 12, 2015, 08:15:30 PM

What's everyone's view on this person? They're using their magick and they've been doing it their whole lives. Would that be considered training?... should this person ''practice magick IC'' Or just emote it subtle-like. (or both) Or should they emote their ability at all?

Just my two cents on this...  As I understand it, in order to create a magickal effect, you have to say the magick words.  Cantrips, and odd elemental affinity emotes not withstanding, to do magick you have to utter the proper incantation.

Now, an elementalist might be a fantastic gardener because they're in tune with nature, but they wouldn't be doing any magick to get those results, it's just their innate skill at gardening.  To actually get stronger at using magick, i.e. practicing magick, you need to actually cast it in my opinion.

Quote from: wizturbo on June 12, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
Quote from: Chettaman on June 12, 2015, 08:15:30 PM

Just my two cents on this...  As I understand it, in order to create a magickal effect, you have to say the magick words.  Cantrips, and odd elemental affinity emotes not withstanding, to do magick you have to utter the proper incantation.

Now, an elementalist might be a fantastic gardener because they're in tune with nature, but they wouldn't be doing any magick to get those results, it's just their innate skill at gardening.  To actually get stronger at using magick, i.e. practicing magick, you need to actually cast it in my opinion.
From what I read in the cantrip page you could use X cantrips, if you are X magical class, to help 'grow' things due to your affinity to X element. Maybe thats why X part of Allanak has so many trees or something.

You can grow lots of things in the desert with an unending supply of water.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Further proof that magick is a threat to our harsh desert landscape gameworld.