Logging in Mudlet

Started by wizturbo, May 06, 2015, 01:28:31 PM

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 06, 2015, 05:48:02 AM
Mudlet doesn't auto log and I never remember to turn it on

Mudlet does auto log!  Just click the log button on the lower right hand corner of the screen and save your profile, it'll default logging to on whenever you boot up.  Lose nothing!

Mudlet's built in logging function is sort of shitty unless you want it in full color, which makes the file sizes huge.

I highly recommend you use Wyd's logging plugin and add a separate script that does this:

function onConnect()
--Starting logging. Filename based on date
  local t = getTime()
  local filename = t.day .. "-" .. t.month .. "-" .. t.year .. ".txt"
  Logger:LogSection(filename , {"timestamp", split = 5000})
end

^ The above snippet's only necessary if you want to split logs by day.

oh my fucking god

i have been looking my entire life (well, 1/3 of my entire life) for something that will separate mudlet logs by day, because I really hate mushclient's lack of built in spellcheck.

AEGLAECA WELCOME TO MY FAVORITE INTERNET PEOPLE LIST

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 06, 2015, 02:10:53 PM
oh my fucking god

i have been looking my entire life (well, 1/3 of my entire life) for something that will separate mudlet logs by day, because I really hate mushclient's lack of built in spellcheck.

btw CTRL+J activates MUSHclient's built-in spellcheck.

Granted, it's not a fancy red squiggly underline like in Word and browsers these days.

I know, but I need the red squiggly line.  the build in spell check for mushclient is a deadly experience when you're in the middle of combat

hmmm I could probably make the spell checker skip checks when you're in combat, or for any command that starts with kill.

Not that i'm trying to switch you back, just for anyone else annoyed by it.

Mudlet looks nice though. Thumbs up for open source mudclients.

Did you get an infobar like thing working in mudlet?

May 06, 2015, 02:42:19 PM #7 Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:44:51 PM by aeglaeca
If by infobar you mean a prompt capture with reasonably sophisticated options (converting to a percentage, text color change when values fall below a certain amount, etc.) then yes. You can also use a graphical representation with an actual health bar and other GUI elements, but I prefer not to because I use a laptop with limited screen space.

Also, I'd say you're welcome but Wyd did all the work there :) it's not a perfect split by day (it's technically split by line/new filename upon opening your profile) but it's usable.

Edit: Oh that was a question for someone else, ignore.

No...I don't use your awesome infobar anymore even though I love it :( - I just can't seem to get used to looking at the bottom of my screen and didn't even notice my low stun in a really intense situation this one time, and I died.  the takeaway from that was clearly I need my prompt.

though I may be stuck with mushclient in the end because I don't know ANYTHING about scripting languages or how to modify them and this client seems to rely heavily on it.  That said if I can get it to work reliably then I will.

Is there a way to modify where your log files go?  Can I pick a different folder?

Are you using Windows?

do I put your little code snippet in the "logger" folder?

actually I'm going to PM you

cutthroat did an infobar for Mudlet you might give a try, if you haven't already. it's pretty brightly colored, would be harder to miss:
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,46301.0.html

if you go back to MUSHclient let me know, I can try and make a plugin to toggle off spellcheck during combat.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 06, 2015, 02:10:53 PM
oh my fucking god

AEGLAECA WELCOME TO MY FAVORITE INTERNET PEOPLE LIST

My only mudlet complaint is I can't auto log in because of the c.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You can do that, too. Add a new script that does this:

function onConnect()
 send("c;(username);(password)")
end

; is the standard command separator. If you changed it to something else use that. Or use three separate send("")

Quote from: LauraMars on May 06, 2015, 02:43:48 PM
No...I don't use your awesome infobar anymore even though I love it :( - I just can't seem to get used to looking at the bottom of my screen and didn't even notice my low stun in a really intense situation this one time, and I died.  the takeaway from that was clearly I need my prompt.

I feel like the MUSHclient info bar used to be brightly colored and have bolded text.. now it's just plain text which makes it far less easy to read at a glance.

Do I need to install something extra to fix that?

Quote from: Agent_137 on May 06, 2015, 02:51:46 PM
cutthroat did an infobar for Mudlet you might give a try, if you haven't already. it's pretty brightly colored, would be harder to miss:
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,46301.0.html

if you go back to MUSHclient let me know, I can try and make a plugin to toggle off spellcheck during combat.

Thank you :)

Quote from: aeglaeca on May 06, 2015, 03:00:48 PM

function onConnect()
end

; is the standard command separator. If you changed it to something else use that. Or use three separate send("")

WTFAwesome.
Though I'm not clear how this works, but sine I'm not home, I'm guessing its clearer once I open the client.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: chuci on May 06, 2015, 03:04:04 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on May 06, 2015, 02:43:48 PM

I feel like the MUSHclient info bar used to be brightly colored and have bolded text.. now it's just plain text which makes it far less easy to read at a glance.

Do I need to install something extra to fix that?

I did remove the bold text because not everyone liked it and it took up too much space for some folks. I figured the default setting should be not-bold.

It's easy to change though. Find InfoFont in the XML file and change the value to be like this, ("", 12, 1),  which would be 12 point bold font.

If you want to tweak the look more, read over the full documentation for the InfoFont command.

The info bar *should* be showing color when you dip below the maximum values. If not we should talk... PM me.

May 06, 2015, 04:10:50 PM #19 Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:47:04 PM by chuci
I think I'm just going to spend some time this weekend updating it for my own purposes. I've been too lazy.

The default text is definitely too difficult to read easily, especially with the black text on tan background. I recommend more contrast at the very least.

I also recommend a mountOn/mountOff option to switch out the "mounted" tag, for city based characters who rarely ride mounts.

Quote from: aeglaeca on May 06, 2015, 03:00:48 PM

function onConnect()
end

Got this working. Now I  want to log in and out to watch it happen.