Haggle/Barter Code

Started by slvrmoontiger, May 05, 2015, 06:37:14 PM

I've been wondering for quite some time if there is a reason why once you make a deal through haggling you can't just keep bartering at that price. In real life if you make a deal for say $50.00 on something that costs $65.00 the seller would give you that price for every item of the same type you buy. It makes no sense to haggle for $50 and then be stuck paying $60 for the next buy of the very same item. Just a thought.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

It really would be nice if you could just 'barter' again on the same item, at least for the next few hours.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Agree.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

In real life, if I was in a place where haggling was acceptable, I'd normally get the first one at full price, the second - maybe at the same price, but they'd cut me a real nice deal if I bought three. Maybe buy two get one free even. So maybe if it was $30 each, you'd pay $60 total for three instead of $90.

In the code of the game, if you're fairly good at haggling, you'll end up with the same result.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It can get spammy, however, when you're bartering down 100-300 sid items, and you need 3-4 of them. Turns into about 10 offers per item, sometimes more, all with their own skill checks. Where one item may go for sixty sid, the next two may very well go for 80 before the haggling needs to stop.

However, I can also imagine what would happen if someone managed to haggle down that 600 'sid "many are available" item for 300, and just went barter;barter;barter;barter;barter;barter;barter

Granted, people who would do this are likely to get those cheap prices anyways, but at least the way it is now you still have to rely on skill checks.

My suggestion? Look into how the skillchecks are calculated, and make it increasingly hard to go past 60-65% of the items original cost. But getting to that point with master haggle? All but guaranteed.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

May 06, 2015, 05:47:41 PM #5 Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:38:45 PM by Molten Heart
It'd be cool if when haggling one could buy more than one of something per barter command by stating how many items are wanted from the start.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 06, 2015, 05:47:41 PM
It'd be cool if when haggling one could buy more than of something per barter command by stating how many items are wanted from the start.

You know this would be really really awesome. Imagine, the NPC multiplies the asking price by "x" and you can haggle on that total, instead of on an individual item. If the deal is made, you get all the items for the total, all at once. Maybe even set a limit per transaction - like, 5 (which is conveniently the same limit of selling things to the NPC).

And if you're selling to the NPC, the limit could be 5 but if they already have 2 they could say "I don't need five, but I might by three." And you can go from there.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It'd be cool if the merchant just offered you a straight up better price for buy or sell which is augmented by your haggle skill.  Just assumes you auto-haggle.

Quote from: wizturbo on May 06, 2015, 06:37:01 PM
It'd be cool if the merchant just offered you a straight up better price for buy or sell which is augmented by your haggle skill.  Just assumes you auto-haggle.

I don't like this, being right now theres a certain risk vs reward with haggling.

Push to hard, and you wind up pissing the shopkeeper off, and cant sell anything, or have to pay full price (though I think they shouldnt sell anything at thatp oint)

QuoteI don't like this, being right now theres a certain risk vs reward with haggling.

Push to hard, and you wind up pissing the shopkeeper off, and cant sell anything, or have to pay full price (though I think they shouldnt sell anything at thatp oint)

It'd be great if they didn't give the same treatment to nobles and templars, but I don't want to be too demanding. :P

Quote from: Rokal on May 06, 2015, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on May 06, 2015, 06:37:01 PM

I don't like this, being right now theres a certain risk vs reward with haggling.

Yeah but it takes one very little time to figure out exactly how far to push that line before it just ends up becoming somewhat pointless at best and irritating at its worst.

The best haggling in the game comes from other pc's and has nothing to do with the coded skill, so I really like the idea of just making it passive and slowly increasing in skill over purchases.

Passive would work too... But it's off if you don't get the same price when buying multiples at the same time and quite confusing. I could see the offering being different on a different day because the economy sways.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Beethoven on May 06, 2015, 09:40:22 PM
QuoteI don't like this, being right now theres a certain risk vs reward with haggling.

It'd be great if they didn't give the same treatment to nobles and templars, but I don't want to be too demanding. :P

i'd go for this. Maybe even certain commoners who have higher postitions in society if we go that route. I mean some of those shop keepers are -RUDE-

i can't imagine them saying some of the colourful things i've seen to a noble. :p