Briefs you'd like to see

Started by BadSkeelz, May 05, 2015, 06:17:55 PM

Just a thread to spit-ball ideas of how types of Brief you'd like to see in game. I'd also be curious to hear from Staff how onerous Briefs are to add to the code base.

Brief Eat: Unless an eat (or drink, or sip or taste?) command has a command emote appended to it, this would hide the echo.

Brief Buy: Hides the echo of people buying something (like 50 tankards of ale for the Byn party)

Brief follow/Brief Enter: Hides the echo of someone entering a room. Could make it apply so that it only hides an echo when that person is following someone.

Brief Look: Hides the echo of someone looking at you/anyone, unless it has a command emote appended to it. For in lieu of the look echo not becoming an hemote.

I prefer boxers.

What, I thought this was a crafting ideas thread!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Ummm.. I'd rather see thongs... Black with red hearts.... Oh... That isn't what you meant...

Four buying mass quantities of something they should allow you to set up something like this:

buy <merchant> <what you are trading> <what the merchant is trading> <the quantity you are buying>

I'm not sure if there's a reason why this isn't a possibility.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 05, 2015, 06:17:55 PM
Just a thread to spit-ball ideas of how types of Brief you'd like to see in game. I'd also be curious to hear from Staff how onerous Briefs are to add to the code base.

Brief Eat: Unless an eat (or drink, or sip or taste?) command has a command emote appended to it, this would hide the echo.

Brief Buy: Hides the echo of people buying something (like 50 tankards of ale for the Byn party)

Brief follow/Brief Enter: Hides the echo of someone entering a room. Could make it apply so that it only hides an echo when that person is following someone.

Brief Look: Hides the echo of someone looking at you/anyone, unless it has a command emote appended to it. For in lieu of the look echo not becoming an hemote.

Yesss to all of the above. Good thread idea.

Brief ooc: Hides OOC messages, automatically consents you to adult roleplay.

Brief pack: Hides the echo's for pulling things in and out of bags/packs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 05, 2015, 06:44:51 PM
Brief ooc: Hides OOC messages, automatically consents you to adult roleplay.

Brief pack: Hides the echo's for pulling things in and out of bags/packs.

A problem I'd see with brief OOC is that the person asking for Consent would have no idea you've automatically consented. Maybe if it could filter OOC lines to only show those that have the word "Consent" in it, or something...

Like the pack idea, too.

Brief get: Automatically hides people pulling out 10 million hides from a crate.
Brief put: Automatically hides people putting 10 million hides in a crate.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Most of these suggestions are trivial to implement in a mud client.

You are using a client right?

Google how to "gag" with it.

Brief talk: ignore all uses of the talk command not at your own seat.

Brief whisper: ditto, but for whispers not concerning you.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Well-written ones. 

... oh wait, this doesn't have anything to do with my RL job.

On topic, I wouldn't mind more briefs.  Some people play from multiple devices, so setting up gags may be easier said than done.  If their preferred client can even do it easily and painlessly.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Patuk on May 06, 2015, 10:39:20 PM

Also known as listen off

Have you tried not being snide?

Just stating a fact is no being snide. I'm sorry that you interpreted it as such.

I think what Patuk is getting at are the echos you see of "So and so speaks at a round table", not the words themselves.

Also clients are for try-hards /snide

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 07, 2015, 01:01:19 AM

I think what Patuk is getting at are the echos you see of "So and so speaks at a round table", not the words themselves.

Also clients are for try-hards /snide

That's what you normally see unless you have listen running. Or am I just missing something completely? If I'm missing something completely, please elaborate... This is what I have seen....

Listen on and successful:
At the table you overhear the short man say in sirihish, waving to the tall man:
       "Have a good one."

Listen on and unsucessful:
At the table the short man speaks, waving to the tall man.

Listen off:
At the table the short man speaks, waving to the tall man.

What exactly are you referring to not wanting to see Patuk?

Even if you have no listen skill, you still see the 2nd and 3rd echoes whenever someone at a table in a room you're in talks.

I suspect Patuk wants his Brief to hide all of those echoes, cause it can get annoying when you're in a place with 5 occupied tables.

Honestly, I just wish the game automatically did that if you don't have listen on.  Because it's spammy and in RL when I'm at a bar, I'm not paying attention to the table across the room.  Unless they're standing on the table yelling, in which case it probably wouldn't be a 'talk' that they're doing

Or maybe have there be a 'notice' chance.

Every time I've been at the bar I can usually hear or at least know when someone at the tables around me are talking because it's so loud in a bar atmosphere and because most people are drunk everyone tends to talk at twice the volume they normally do talk when not in a bar environment. For taverns I think the echos are appropriate because of this. I actually think you should have a higher chance of overhearing people at tables near you too for this reason and even a slight chance of hearing them with no listen skill or listen off.

BadSkeelz's post has it right. Brief talk would hide any semblance of people elsewhere talking to each other. If you think it appropriate for your character to notice anyway, that's okay. Just turn it off.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: valeria on May 07, 2015, 08:35:49 AM
Honestly, I just wish the game automatically did that if you don't have listen on.  Because it's spammy and in RL when I'm at a bar, I'm not paying attention to the table across the room.  Unless they're standing on the table yelling, in which case it probably wouldn't be a 'talk' that they're doing

Or maybe have there be a 'notice' chance.

I also wish you could squash the 'someone at another table says, leaning back with a big long emote that distracts you to death' stuff, especially nowadays sometimes at the Gaj.  (This can be squashed pretty easily in your client though.)

I also wish emotes worked like talk and say, so you didn't pick up the emotes of people at other tables too. 
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I wish people who shouted into and out of taverns would have a chance of going hoarse due to the fact that they have to shout INCREDIBLY loud in order to be overheard in a busy tavern. Oops wrong place for this... But still I think it would be cool to add this in.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on May 07, 2015, 11:08:10 AM
Every time I've been at the bar I can usually hear or at least know when someone at the tables around me are talking because it's so loud in a bar atmosphere and because most people are drunk everyone tends to talk at twice the volume they normally do talk when not in a bar environment. For taverns I think the echos are appropriate because of this. I actually think you should have a higher chance of overhearing people at tables near you too for this reason and even a slight chance of hearing them with no listen skill or listen off.

I think part of the problem is that in real life, you can "tune it out" and it becomes just background noise. In the game, it's screen scroll that can cause you to miss what someone is saying directly to you, while sitting next to you, while you're participating in a conversation with them.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 07, 2015, 07:26:50 PM

I think part of the problem is that in real life, you can "tune it out" and it becomes just background noise. In the game, it's screen scroll that can cause you to miss what someone is saying directly to you, while sitting next to you, while you're participating in a conversation with them.

Again this all depends on how loud and noisy and what is happening at the particular bar/tavern. Is there loud music being played? Are people brawling? Is it filled past capacity? Or is it a slower time when there are still people around, but certainly not filled to capacity. I have been in both situations. The former I could barely hear or understand what the person next to me was saying and he or she could barely make out what I was saying (despite how much we tried to tune out the background). The latter, certainly you could tune it out. I would equate lots of scroll in a tavern going on (except for people buying a lot of things at once) to be the former. So is it possibly to miss out one something someone you are conversing with? Certainly. I'm just saying if you think about real life events and situations I think the code is fine as far as talk spam goes... Like many of the other things people have said, this too can be purged by your client.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on May 07, 2015, 07:47:18 PM

Again this all depends on how loud and noisy and what is happening at the particular bar/tavern. Is there loud music being played? Are people brawling? Is it filled past capacity? Or is it a slower time when there are still people around, but certainly not filled to capacity. I have been in both situations. The former I could barely hear or understand what the person next to me was saying and he or she could barely make out what I was saying (despite how much we tried to tune out the background). The latter, certainly you could tune it out. I would equate lots of scroll in a tavern going on (except for people buying a lot of things at once) to be the former. So is it possibly to miss out one something someone you are conversing with? Certainly. I'm just saying if you think about real life events and situations I think the code is fine as far as talk spam goes... Like many of the other things people have said, this too can be purged by your client.

I can see your logic, but a text game that 'simulates' chaotic environments by spamming you would be completely obnoxious.  Despite all its tumult, the bazaar doesn't spam you with an echo every five or ten seconds -- it succinctly describes the noise in the room description, which is how it should be.

It's also worth taking people with screen readers into consideration.

+1 for brief tables. :)

Another one I'd vote for:

brief ride:

The scarred, muscular man has arrived from the west, riding a scarred, muscular beetle.
--> The scarred, muscular man rides in from the west.

A scarred, muscular beetle walks east, carrying the scarred, muscular man on its back.
--> The scarred, muscular man rides off to the east.

The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I'm not saying that I dislike spam... Trust me... Spam sucks and I think fight spam is the worst spam I've ever seen. I remember the last HRPT at the battle... That was spam and it was horrible. Even with brief all enabled I could barely tell what was going on...

I guess some sort of brief that would help out in situations like the above. Or some sort of control system in combat modes.

I moved a couple posts to moderation for being in the trolling line.  Please play nice.  Thanks!

Quote from: CodeMaster on May 07, 2015, 10:03:07 PM

I can see your logic, but a text game that 'simulates' chaotic environments by spamming you would be completely obnoxious.  Despite all its tumult, the bazaar doesn't spam you with an echo every five or ten seconds -- it succinctly describes the noise in the room description, which is how it should be.

brief ride:

The scarred, muscular man has arrived from the west, riding a scarred, muscular beetle.

A scarred, muscular beetle walks east, carrying the scarred, muscular man on its back.

Another mud i play has this option where you can chose to 'ignore' the words of other characters unless it something directly spoken to you, it automatically turns off once you leave the current place the character is in as well. Maybe a 'tune out' feature to tune out the words of characters you wouldnt be paying attention to could be an idea?

Quote from: Rokal on May 09, 2015, 04:53:40 AM
Quote from: CodeMaster on May 07, 2015, 10:03:07 PM

brief ride:

Another mud i play has this option where you can chose to 'ignore' the words of other characters unless it something directly spoken to you, it automatically turns off once you leave the current place the character is in as well. Maybe a 'tune out' feature to tune out the words of characters you wouldnt be paying attention to could be an idea?

Interesting... Might be possible, but I don't think this would stop the emote spam others are complaining about from people talking at other tables.