Tuluk Closing to PC play -- discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, April 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM

Man, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to log in between April 24-27  :-\

Fantastic move guys...  this was the hard decision that we all will look back on and say it was the beginning of Armageddon's golden age.

This must have been a really hard decision. I think it's the right one. I'm still in a position where I can't really play, but I wanted to express sympathy to people who will be losing their roles. As someone who's had to deal with that before, it stinks. It stinks like a big poo-filled diaper of stink.

But overall, I think this is a good move for the future of the game.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

April 13, 2015, 06:21:34 PM #204 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:24:33 PM by Dakota
Fair question:  Are their any other areas of the game where players are currently active that Staff is thinking of / planning to close up shop?

Edit: This is directed to the Producers as I assume these decisions start and end with them.
Czar of City Elves.

Hm...
Is storing a character for "I see no reason for my character to leave Tuluk" and later down the road Tuluk reopen, is that a valid reason for re starting that character up?

They said that they don't know when Tuluk will reopen.  It's not a possibility.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2015, 06:25:26 PM
Hm...
Is storing a character for "I see no reason for my character to leave Tuluk" and later down the road Tuluk reopen, is that a valid reason for re starting that character up?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 13, 2015, 03:21:14 PM
If Staff decide to re-open Tuluk at some point, and it isn't a hundred in game years in the future or anything, would those who choose to store their characters at the start of the closure be offered the opportunity to come back?

Quote from: Rathustra on April 13, 2015, 03:26:48 PM
Probably not. We can help you get your PC out of Tuluk or we can get you into a new PC, but we can't make promises about if or when as Tuluk will continue to develop virtually during the closure. We can't really look that far ahead and decide that old PCs can just step into whatever new beginning Tuluk receives.

Can I stay near Little Tuluk and play by myself and with visitors when they come to the souvenir shop?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Thanks for the quotes for replies! Didn't see them.

Quote from: Malken on April 13, 2015, 06:30:42 PM
Can I stay near Little Tuluk and play by myself and with visitors when they come to the souvenir shop?

Yes.

Quote from: Malken on April 13, 2015, 06:30:42 PM

We prefer to call it 'Tiny Tuluk - Treasure Outpost'

"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

April 13, 2015, 06:40:26 PM #212 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:43:51 PM by Jihelu
Will there be insta-aggro tuluk npc's near the North? -Please no-

If any other 'major' areas are added, will we see maps added?

For all you Nakki-hating Tulukis.....

I can already see the refugee mobs in Red Storm.
Vivalarevelution! (so long as you do all your shit-stirring outside of the gates)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2015, 06:40:26 PM

Take the time to read all of the posts here to get your answer.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on April 13, 2015, 06:44:16 PM

I feel dumb, going to mass scan the comments.

Quote from: Barsook on April 13, 2015, 06:44:16 PM

When I started reading this thread there were five pages.... when I got caught up there were nine. Wow.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

YOu could probably Control+F on "Administrator" and "Producer" and find most of the answers. Rathustra, Nyr, and Adhira have been answering most of them.

To my question of NPCs and junk I found "Tuluk isn't vanishing. If you cast in the North and don't respect the virtual world. I will load an army of HG soldiers to batter you. In a way this is a liberation. I don't need to rely on PCs anymore."
I'm going to guess people who aren't causing trouble/have tattoos aren't going to get insta ganked.
Though I guess if you walk around with a group of Nakki elves and keep killing everyone that moves, the admins are going to get a bit ticked.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2015, 06:47:42 PM
To my question of NPCs and junk I found "Tuluk isn't vanishing. If you cast in the North and don't respect the virtual world. I will load an army of HG soldiers to batter you. In a way this is a liberation. I don't need to rely on PCs anymore."
I'm going to guess people who aren't causing trouble/have tattoos aren't going to get insta ganked.
Though I guess if you walk around with a group of Nakki elves and keep killing everyone that moves, the admins are going to get a bit ticked.

It's actually pretty simple really. Treat the game world with respect. Roleplay properly, and things will be as they should be. The world isn't going to change dramatically. There won't be roving hordes of feral Tuluki soldiers out to kill everything in sight. But if you're up there disregarding the world and acting like Tuluk doesn't exist. Acting like it's a free-for-all stomping ground, then you may get a reaction in kind. We hope that our players won't do that, and that our staff won't react in such a way.

What Rathustra really means is that Tuluk will still exist and we as staff will animate it in that manner. We will have Tuluk NPCs react appropriately as situations arise in game. So that's what should be considered.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Another problem I can think of is that for people that die often they will find themselves back with the old PCs they were interacting with and I know that the answer to that might be play a d elf or a tribal dude but there is no way in hell I would want to play either (luckily, I can survive forever, so I'm mostly noting that for those who tend to die easily and might not enjoy the idea of d elves and tribals).

I hope we won't be "heavily suggested" to create a PC elsewhere than Allanak if we end up making many in a row and unfortunately finding ourselves bumping into the same PCs our past characters knew. It'll be much harder to avoid.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2015, 05:42:53 PM
Okay, thanks!
I'm almost certain this has been answered but I can't seem to find it.....What happens if you don't leave Tuluk the day it is closed off? Does the character die/become inaccessible or do you spawn in and you need to ask someone to tp you out or something.

I can answer this one.  There will be code in place that will shunt you instantly to a nearby yet to be determined location.

Okay, thanks for the reply.
I keep feeling that people will do the 'gotta hide my tattoos and move south' thing but considering how Tuluk is still there that isn't a very good reason.
Or maybe that idea just keeps crossing my mind.

Excited to be here, sad I won't get to play another Tuluki PC, at least immediately.

Still a hard change for many I'm sure, staff and players both.  MUD areas have a way of becoming homes that exist inside our mind.

Allanak might be indelibly changed by this as well, as the creative minds that worked on the north migrate south to make their mark.  By all accounts, this is a new era for the game.  
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Dakota on April 13, 2015, 06:21:34 PM
Fair question:  Are their any other areas of the game where players are currently active that Staff is thinking of / planning to close up shop?

Edit: This is directed to the Producers as I assume these decisions start and end with them.

No.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.