City Elf derail#1837

Started by RogueGunslinger, April 10, 2015, 09:25:47 PM

Quote from: Jeax on April 10, 2015, 06:50:44 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 10, 2015, 06:15:49 PM
Give city elves maxed steal. You know, because they're all thieves.

Give city elves a tribe. You know, because they're extremely tribal.

I dare someone to put up a competent argument against either of these two ideas.

1) Pickpocketing is a novice view of "thievery". Elves can steal in many ways, and the way in which they view getting the leg up on others is not just picking pockets. Thus, you could have a competent elf that is well-respected in their society that has never stolen anything with the "steal" command.

2) City elves do have a tribe. They have virtual tribes, as has already been stated.

Done.

Quote from: nauta on April 10, 2015, 06:29:29 PM
1. Steal is a cultural thing not a natural ability, even if the inclination is genetic, so even elves have to practice and start out as novice.

They do start out novice, but should be able to master steal, that's what I'm talking about, sorry if I was unclear.

As for tribes being virtual... If you think that's enough to represent the race in the game then okay. Why do we have coded d-elf tribes? Or coded human tribes?  Why have any tribes coded? If you find an answer to that question I want to ask yourself another one. Who should have a coded tribe, if anyone?

Probably the race that has its documented culture almost entirely built around tribalism.

As for the steal skill. Should every elf be a master pickpocket? No, but I think any elf should be able to become a master pickpocket, with training and time. As much if not more so than I think any breed should be able to ride with two weapons out, or any Allanaki should suddenly be knowledgeable with slashing weapons.

I'm just saying if the two major focal points of a race is tribalism and stealing then it makes as much sense to represent that with code as anything else that's documented, and if we're talking about ways to make city-elves better, that exactly where I would start.

April 10, 2015, 09:41:06 PM #1 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:44:26 PM by Harmless
Okay let's talk code.

Young age gives a boost to agi.

All young c elves have really good agi.

Agi boosts steal.

All young c elves should be pretty competent pickpockets.

If they get busted the popo are more likely to pity and release or fine a brat.

As c elves age they slow down. Only those who take stealing by hand seriously keep up pickpocketing enough to still be good. Those other slower elves  who aren't pickpockets learn other heists or talents. They elaborate and diversify their talents.

I say keep it as is. If you want to steal as say,  a c elf warrior, start at the youngest age. Make a modest living stealing while you learn to fight. Same for assassins. Learn killing arts and live off stealing while you're young. As you get slower, you're also a little stronger. Now your strikes mean something. You can kill now. Ditch the stealing coins habit and take lives instead.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I don't really think master steal is the solution per se.

But I do think that if half-elves can collectively get master ride, there at least is some precedent for a racial skill buff.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Could also give them master peek, that'd go a long way. Their haggle, if I recall correctly, is extremely low, could use a boost as well.

If anything, I think elves should actually get the wisdom bonus the docs say they have first. Comparing mana between my elf and human mages makes it very clear to me it's negligent. Wisdom isn't a very popular stat anyway, and I really think that if elves are gonna have sucky endurance/strength, decent wisdom isn't much to ask for.

Let's give them the ability to ride mounts when traveling outside and Celves become op.

Or we can do something good.

Celves being able to master steal seems legit.

Nothing really to be said about c-elves. The only interest I've ever really had in c-elves is as mages with an explanation on why they have no tribe, or rinthers with active c-elves in the rinth. At least in the rinth you get to experience a bit of a 'tribal clan' situation if you find some other like-minded neckers to kick it with.

Update on c-elves:
Stats suck.
Virtual 'tribes' suck.
Restrictions suck.

Don't need coded camps or anything, just adding a few preset celf 'tribes' you could put in your background and not need to app into would go a long way to making it playable. Do a bit of a helpfile on each of the tribes to give them some personal flavor. At least then another player could hop in and bam, u haz tribe support.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Byr told me once that 'there's nothing in the documentation that says elves can't greb' so you've got another category of jobs right there. For people like me, who find the criminal life kind of difficult to play.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Remember.
Now matter the circumstance, someone will think it is sexy.
Celf prostitution is the only life style.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 12, 2015, 10:05:59 PM
Remember.
Now matter the circumstance, someone will think it is sexy.
Celf prostitution is the only life style.

I have done this. Good luck.

Aww. Its okay, I never left, I simply posted under about seven other usernames.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

And we never figured it out.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

With the playerbase becoming more consolidated, we could open the jaxa pah... damn it, I would play in that if it were open and I weren't already committed to my character. I'm one of those types that keeps trying elves occasionally, because I would like them if they had a reliable way to eat.

Quote from: Cind on April 13, 2015, 02:57:28 PM
With the playerbase becoming more consolidated, we could open the jaxa pah... damn it, I would play in that if it were open and I weren't already committed to my character. I'm one of those types that keeps trying elves occasionally, because I would like them if they had a reliable way to eat.

See Nyr's signature

I still have an application to create a tribe running. Just wait.

I think it took me a couple stints in the dungeons way back when before I got bored and hungry enough to try eating the cockroaches.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Having a tribe would be great though, imagine actually talkingto people while jailed!

no tribes
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Hey, I got a reply to my request two days ago, and it was somewhat positive at least. I'm pretty sure I made Nyr groan a little from reading through it all, but soon.

hey guys if theres something i love almost as much as tuluk its city elfs

on April 27th, city elves will become virtual, allowing staff to focus their efforts on humans. They will still be there, and they will still virtually steal your items, I personally guarantee it

- Nyrthustradhira