Where Players Found Us: March 2015

Started by Cavaticus, April 01, 2015, 08:57:24 AM

March 2015

Total new accounts: 285 (up from 149 in February)
Accounts with more than 30 minutes played: 42

Where people came from:

Google:
32 (up from 17)
TMC: 78 (up from 48)
TMS: 6 (down from 7)
Friend: 18 up from 17)
Reddit: 53 (up from 6, wtf)
TVTropes: 1 (down from 2)
Bay 12 Forums (the Dwarf Fortress guys): 2 (holding)

Miscellaneous responses:

A corpmate in eve online
I've been looking for MMORPGs that emphasize roleplaying over grinding and this game seemed to be logical for me
milk milk lemonade

Login Info for those who made it into the game.

-- 1 hour or less in playtime: 17
-- 1-2 hours of playtime:  8
-- 2-6 hours of playtime:  20
-- 6-20 hours of playtime: 9
-- 20+ hours of playtime:  4

This month's takeaways:

- We saw a 91.28% increase in new players this month!

- We hit number 1 on TMC this month and it paid off with a 62.5% increase in new players from them. We also saw an 88.24% increase in search results. I don't know if this is a result of the higher TMC listing, but it bears watching. TMS and friend referrals are holding steady.

- The big story this month is the flood of players from Reddit. I don't really hang out there so I can't speak to it, but looking at the data it seems that something piqued a lot of interest on March 5. Whoever that was, thanks!

Cat Rambo's recent reddit AMA could have something to do with it.

I think Zoan or someone posted about arm on the front page of reddit one day.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Hey, great job using analytics to actually figure out where your people are coming from and where to invest. There are sizeable companies that don't do this.

Yeah analysis!

Not to be debbie downer on this, but I noticed that the 6-20 and 20+ numbers actually went down (by, percentage-wise, quite a bit)... I wonder how we can distinguish between tourists and addicted, and what things might get us the addicted.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on April 01, 2015, 01:06:57 PM
Yeah analysis!

Not to be debbie downer on this, but I noticed that the 6-20 and 20+ numbers actually went down (by, percentage-wise, quite a bit)... I wonder how we can distinguish between tourists and addicted, and what things might get us the addicted.

The art of obtaining accurate numbers that are useful = difficult.  For starters, though:

6-20 in February = 7
6-20 in March = 9
This includes a multiplayer, reducing it to 8.  Even so, your math does not check out, it looks like it went up.

20+ in February = 8
This included an immortal account, a multiplayer, and someone that forgot their old account.  Note also that the numbers were gathered on the 12th of March, meaning ALL categories would be higher by default (anyone registering in February that played at all would have had 12 more days to play).  We can't adjust for that after the fact, so that is why we try to get these numbers soon after the month transition.

20+ in March = 4.  This is probably very accurate compared to February, but even it includes another old player returning on a new account.

In short?  All this tells you is new player stats...for that month.  That's it.  It doesn't say anything about who started at X time that is still playing now, it just tells you how many hours they played overall from "starting anytime in the month of March" to "time of post."
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Oops, I was looking at January.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,48992.0.html

Codemaster should totally use his Codemaster skills to scrape the numbers and do a comparison month-by-month of the playtime numbers, unless that's out there somewhere already.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago