One Thing You Would Tell a New Player

Started by Semper, March 12, 2015, 04:34:03 PM

...besides Welcome to Armageddon!

Don't be afraid to experiment with your first several characters. :)
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Play your PC like you believe they are real people separate from yourself, in a world of real people.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Be nice on the boards as best you can.  Be mean in the game as best you can.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If you're a nurse, PM me.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I hope you're not attached to those boots....

If someone says, "Follow me" and then procedes to walk you into a building and shuts/locks the door...turn up the volume on your computer so you can get the full experience of your first mantis head beep.

Someone says, out of character:
     "no, the mace did not explode, that was his testicle"

Bow to the templars.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

IC consequences of IC actions are not a reason to act out OOCly.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Don't leave the gates unless you plan on dying exploring, which is really fun.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Don't avoid dangerous, exciting, and fun things just because you're afraid of dying.

Leave yourself at the door, you'll want to be your character for this.

Quote from: Talia on March 12, 2015, 05:57:07 PM
IC consequences of IC actions are not a reason to act out OOCly.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 12, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
Don't avoid dangerous, exciting, and fun things just because you're afraid of dying.

Quote from: Hicksville Hoochie on March 12, 2015, 06:25:22 PM
Leave yourself at the door, you'll want to be your character for this.

Amazing advise, all things i'd say myself, for any RP setting!

A leash can be pulled from both ends.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

This world desperately needs a hero... are you him?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Ask people questions in game.

Never trust elves.

The giant turtles aren't your friends.

I feel like all of these are secretly one thing.

Join a clan your first time out so you don't have to worry about making money and food and water.

Join a clan as quickly as you can. Playing solo is infinitely harder even after you are a vet, and you will probably die very quickly if you don't. A clan will teach you, help keep you alive if you listen and pay attention, and in the end, you are more likely to enjoy and stick with the game.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on March 12, 2015, 07:40:52 PM
Join a clan as quickly as you can. Playing solo is infinitely harder even after you are a vet, and you will probably die very quickly if you don't. A clan will teach you, help keep you alive if you listen and pay attention, and in the end, you are more likely to enjoy and stick with the game.

Playing solo harder? Debatable! But I hear you.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Help spoken. Review all those individual commands.

You WILL encounter things in the game that will make you squirm in real life.

"Murder, Corruption, Betrayal."  These things are around almost every corner and the one who does them most will eventually have it all catch up to them...

...which may well be one of the most fun moments of your game life.

Crackageddon.

Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Don't be afraid to get drunk, when you do get drunk actually act like you are drunk and have fun with it!
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Watch and learn, young sandhopper.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Twenty deaths is a good point to start saying, "Okay. I can have a fun, fairly knowledgeable long lived character now."

Quote from: Jihelu on March 12, 2015, 07:29:46 PM

No they are not! (smirks)

Also don't eat the shit-berries  (even though you can... just don't eat them)

Oh and if you're playing a fighter class who wants to do battle, RUN from a fight before you get below half of your health.  Its a lot easier to roleplay being hurt and shrugging it off than it is to having to sleep to gain back those points.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Always haggle with PC's. I'll like you more.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Jihelu on March 12, 2015, 07:29:46 PM

:D

...neither is much of anything else....

My advice?  
Find a mentor who likes teaching newbs to play the game.

Leave the city gates.   Run the Narrows.  Hunt the exotic critters.  Explore the World for all it has to offer.  Die Loudly.  Then, once you've got that out of your system, play a zalanthan that only does those things if and when they should.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on March 13, 2015, 09:30:13 AM
Leave the city gates.   Run the Narrows.  Hunt the exotic critters.  Explore the World for all it has to offer.  Die Loudly.  Then, once you've got that out of your system, play a zalanthan that only does those things if and when they should.

After you tell your newbie that, I'll sneak in to tell him "That never gets out of your system."

Quote from: whitt on March 13, 2015, 09:30:13 AM
I like to consider that a warriors death.
A dumb ones.
But a fun ones.

Quote from: Armaddict on March 12, 2015, 04:40:05 PM
Be nice on the boards as best you can.  Be mean in the game as best you can.

Man, Armaddict, I want to agree with this one so hard, but I actually have account notes for being mean to "an obviously new player".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Don't worry about gear, money, they mean little.

Instead worry about RP and interaction...they mean everything.

And another, The scene is more important then the outcome.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job