HGs should...

Started by Harmless, March 04, 2015, 01:06:13 AM

March 04, 2015, 01:06:13 AM Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:50:02 AM by Harmless
Half giants by virtue of their height and legs can walk from room to room very fast. Outdoors this makes sense.

Indoors I see them as having to shuffle around an awful lot. They are almost always fitting into caves or establishments designed for human sized occupants. Unless running (which would be a bull in a china shop charge) they should go from room to room much more slowly.

Secondary idea: if running from room to room indoors, have a random chance to knock objects like furniture or other things loose on the ground into the next room like a carru and reset the ldesc.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Getting bashed by an HG should honestly knock you into another room like a high-skill disarm does to weapons.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 04, 2015, 01:09:09 AM
Getting bashed by an HG should honestly knock you into another room like a high-skill disarm does to weapons.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

And getting kicked should pulverize pretty much anything living instantly, shattering bones irreparably.

Seeing how hgs aren't very bright, there's nothing in the docs indicating that they would even try to be careful entering and exiting and moving around in buildings so it won't necessarily occur to them to do so. I'm thinking whenever a hg steps into a bar, everyone in the bar would a) notice and b) make sure they're not in the hg's way so as to avoid getting trampled/crushed against a wall in his path. The hg "should" just do whatever the hg does. Everyone else should respond accordingly.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

True, but they move from room to room so rapidly indoors that it seems like it should be damaging something. That is 1000+ lbs, minimum, going at the speed of an elf. People automatically get out of the way but objects can't.

HGs should also be careful not to damage public property because even though they aren't bright they know what the law is basically. Hence the idea that when running they become less conscientious.

Also this is code discussion so I am just posting my ideas here for how the code can be more realistic. I know a lot of HGs already RP lots of ducking and shuffling and it would be cool if the code reflected this. If they want to go fast they could still run.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Maybe have it so half giants have to 'sneak' around inside. Sneak meaning, just being more careful, otherwise it mentions them bumping into patrons/knocking over a stool/falling onto someone and injuring both of them.

I like the idea of the outside movement though, considering how massive they are.

They're not moving fast. They have longer strides. For every ONE step, walking, that a HG does, an elf is probably RUNNING 3 steps.

Get me the height-weight chart of an HG because I'm almost positive they're not 1,000 pounds.

Half-giants appear much like a human, but with highly exaggerated features, and skin tones which sometimes go into the reds. Half-giants stand roughly between 125 and 155 inches tall.

That's only about 80 inches taller than the average human, who comes out weighing at the most 9 ten-stone, which is 90 stone which is -ABOUT- 180-200 pounds give or take? Even 20 ten-stone is only 200 stone which is only 440 pounds. Unless a half-giant weights literally 45 ten-stone, they are NOT 1,000 pounds.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 12, 2015, 10:14:42 AM
Half-giants appear much like a human, but with highly exaggerated features, and skin tones which sometimes go into the reds. Half-giants stand roughly between 125 and 155 inches tall.

That's only about 80 inches taller than the average human, who comes out weighing at the most 9 ten-stone, which is 90 stone which is -ABOUT- 180-200 pounds give or take? Even 20 ten-stone is only 200 stone which is only 440 pounds. Unless a half-giant weights literally 45 ten-stone, they are NOT 1,000 pounds.

80 ten-stone is middling range for a half-giant. Yeah.
Alea iacta est

80 TEN stone?

Okay, so the MIDDLING range for a half-giant is almost 2,000 pounds. 1760 to be exact.

March 12, 2015, 10:30:02 AM #12 Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:36:40 AM by racurtne
Quote from: Saellyn on March 12, 2015, 10:27:16 AM
80 TEN stone?

Okay, so the MIDDLING range for a half-giant is almost 2,000 pounds. 1760 to be exact.

Yeah. They are massively heavy. It always irks me when people shrug off a HG punch like it was nothing. Don't want to start a debate on this, but yeah, pet peeve.
Alea iacta est

Uhh. That might be because we don't have knowledge of their middling range, but yeah. Something that weight 1700 pounds punching you is going to fucking kill you. Not wound. Not injure. KILL.

Hence previous threads wanting to make half-giants more combat-badass.

They should be able to wield a fallen tree to smash 3-5 people into bloodied pulp in one swipe.

You can't use a linear conversion rate from height to weight.

When you scale a 3-dimensional object's size, it's mass increases by that scale CUBED.

So twice as tall means 8 times as heavy (2^3=8).  90kg * 8 = 720kg (1578 lbs).

Also consider that, proportionally, half-giants tend towards heavier builds than humans.

I'm not really sure I'd trust people's estimations of half-giants physical capabilities. I mean we have 1500 pound animals in the real world, and while they're dangerous they're not unstoppable engines of destruction.

Large animals can also sneak up on smaller things, behave gracefully, and be beaten up or survived by smaller animals.

I mean if you imagine yourself as a half-giant and a small dog (20lbs) as a person. If you punch a dog that size, it'll hurt but it's not gonna kill them. What's more you can sneak up on it if you know what you're doing.

Granted, half-giants probably shouldn't be blending into crowds very well, but sneaking through shadows is certainly doable.

If a donkey rears its leg up and kicks you, it's going to hurt a lot. If it kicks you somewhere soft and squishy, it's really going to hurt, and donkeys aren't that heavy. If a half-giant cocks his arm back and smashes a big meaty fist into your face it's probably going to do as much as break or shatter something.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 12, 2015, 03:16:27 PM
If a donkey rears its leg up and kicks you, it's going to hurt a lot. If it kicks you somewhere soft and squishy, it's really going to hurt, and donkeys aren't that heavy. If a half-giant cocks his arm back and smashes a big meaty fist into your face it's probably going to do as much as break or shatter something.

However, for playability's sake, this isn't true. If it were true, half-giants wouldn't be able to spar with anyone, ever, including other half-giants. Best to just not tell people how to RP and if you see something you think is wrong, send a player complaint. If it's a new player (as opposed to a new character) you could remind him about stun loss. If he's "near death" from a single hit and gets back up and demands another shot in the sparring ring, a reminder (even an IC reminder, not OOC) that he was just nearly killed by a creature 10x his size in a single shot might be appropriate.

If an IC reminder doesn't work, send a player complaint. Or treat it ICly and accuse him of being a magicker, or an undead creature who can't be killed because he's already dead :)

I didn't start the thread, other people did. I'm just saying based on Racurtne's thoughts that shrugging off an HGs punch like it was nothing, agreeably, is very weird.

Square cube law means a giant punching a human carries exponentially more force than a human punching a small dog, doesn't it?

Yes, but it's much, much more complicated than even that. Form, muscle/bone density, bone structure, there's more to factor in than just mass(for a real life comparison a Female fighter at 135 pounds is going to have a lot less impact in their punch than a male of the same weight). Add in that a half-giant is magically put together and that a giant in the real world would never be able to hold itself together under its own weight...

Making simple comparisons like that seems rather pointless.

Great, Math. Allright, here we go:

Assume mass correlates directly with force produced.

10kg (small dog) = 1 unit of force

80kg (person) = 8 units of force

800kg (large half giant) = 80 units of force

The human receives 80 units of force as opposed to the 8 he's used to.

But that force is spread over a larger area, which means the kg/square inch value of that 80 units of force is divided by the height ratio squared (4) so that 80 units of force would be the equivalent of being hit four different places with 20 units of force.

So assume it's like getting hit in four different places by a human that's a little over twice as strong as normal. Granted, this would hurt like a son of a gun, but it's not nearly on the level that some people seem to be picturing.

This all assumes of course that strength perfectly correlates with mass, which it does not. In the real world this is an overestimate of how hard a half-giant would hit.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 12, 2015, 04:27:40 PM
Add in that a half-giant is magically put together and that a giant in the real world would never be able to hold itself together under its own weight...

Errr, what? You do know we have things bigger than half-giants in the real world right? Elephants can get up to 7000kg, that's several times the size of a half-giant.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 12, 2015, 04:08:57 PM
Square cube law means a giant punching a human carries exponentially more force than a human punching a small dog, doesn't it?

Eh.  That's not really what it means...

It just means that the 12' tall half giant's fist/arm probably weighs at least 8 times as much as the human's fist.

All things being equal, the relative mass is what would matter in terms of knocking something across the room.

However... all things are not equal.  Biologically speaking, there are anatomic principles that don't scale linearly with height/mass.  Due to this fact, a half giant's strength in proportion to its mass is probably LESS than that of a human, just like a human's strength in proportion it its mass is less than that of an ant.

(This seems to have a fairly simple explanation: http://www.ftexploring.com/think/superbugs_p2.html )