Customizing long lived characters

Started by Dresan, February 24, 2015, 10:21:54 AM

Point.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I always thought it would be neat to have some sort of mentoring program that takes "teach" to a new level. I've been seeing a lot of threads for players looking for things to do with their PC's after surviving for awhile. This isn't a free chance for players to get any skills they want, but it would offer new hobbies for them to pick up once they find a player deemed a Master. Said Master/Mentor must be applied for, or even maybe an event could be formed around claiming the title. This would add something IC that could be fun. Competitions where master chefs have a cook off, or master swordsmen battle it out for the title. This could be regional, northern and southern. I'm just rambling now so I'll rattle off some things to sort of clarify. Go ahead and pick it apart  :P

Requirements for becoming a Master:

Through competition earned or application. Player must by code also be a master of said craft. Masters can be challenged too for the right. It's a prestigious title to have.

Requirements for apprenticeship:

- A contract must be entered with a master/mentor - Said PC must be an expert in the ability.
- A request must be submitted via the request tool stating intentions, goals, and the likes which the apprentice want to accomplish.
- RP logs must be submitted as proof of work towards the goal.

I'd just rather see "Teach" become a skill.  Do it enough, and you'll be able to teach people much more than you can currently, making a highly skilled person who can also teach a valuable asset for anyone trying to learn.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 27, 2015, 08:32:41 PM
I'd just rather see "Teach" become a skill.  Do it enough, and you'll be able to teach people much more than you can currently, making a highly skilled person who can also teach a valuable asset for anyone trying to learn.
+1

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: wizturbo on February 27, 2015, 08:32:41 PM

This would be so cool. Better yet, make a subguild that can get the teach skill higher than normal!

You and I have different interpretations of "better".

A "Learned Man/Woman" sub guild would be pretty rad.

They can teach people up to a higher maximum than normal, and perhaps get a wisdom bump.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Coming in to say "Bring back Martial Styles" for long lived PCs. Long-lived Militia Sergeant? Maybe over the years he's discovered a pretty rad two-dagger fighting style that is particularly brutal, but leaves him open to a lot of strikes (+DMG, ---Defense). Teachable, through RP, to subordinates as he chooses.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on March 01, 2015, 09:57:25 PM
Coming in to say "Bring back Martial Styles" for long lived PCs. Long-lived Militia Sergeant? Maybe over the years he's discovered a pretty rad two-dagger fighting style that is particularly brutal, but leaves him open to a lot of strikes (+DMG, ---Defense). Teachable, through RP, to subordinates as he chooses.
I like this.

Here's the important question with that legion thing:

Are the PCs ingame who are aware of this specialization track making their subordinates/friends aware of these paths, or are they posted on the boards? If not, then peeps simply might not be aware of the offers!

Quote from: Saellyn on March 13, 2015, 09:26:31 AM
Here's the important question with that legion thing:

Are the PCs ingame who are aware of this specialization track making their subordinates/friends aware of these paths, or are they posted on the boards? If not, then peeps simply might not be aware of the offers!

To (hopefully) answer... no. Rath said that while these things may be in place, he does not want to implement them until they are available for all clans (rather than give the Legions some sudden perceived/actual bonus, and instead give everyone the opportunity)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Oh. Well okay then. That clears my end up.