Bolted Doors

Started by Armaddict, February 18, 2015, 06:14:27 PM

Was just thinking it's a little curious that Zalanthas has actual locks, but not the simple sliding bolt.  Maybe we could add it in, so that it had to be done from the inside, but prevents anyone, even someone with a key, from opening the door?  Promotes sleeping in your apartment, promotes criminals casing their prey, and allows for a bit more realism as far as safety goes.

Or would this be counter intuitive to how people feel the current state of apartments is?  Or is it a bitchuvamotherfucker to code?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Seems kind of both redundant and unnecessarily restrictive towards people with the lock pick still. An insurmountable "keep out" switch, unless you happen to be shadowing your mark at the moment he goes inside.

As an aside, I assume most of the locks you see in Zalanthas (given available materials) are wooden or bone Pin tumber locks, which aren't too different from deadbolts themselves.

My thought was that basically...it allowed people to protect their home by actually being in it, even if it's virtually.

You don't need to shadow someone in, you just have to watch for them to go out.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I see. Still, it makes apartments an inviolate sanctuary so long as someone is "in it" (or has logged out inside of it, since I don't know how you'd switch this feature off if the deadbolting PC logged off). And I'm philosophically opposed to that level of safety in the game.

Also sometimes I would just sit on the couch of my apartment, waiting for someone to pick the door so I could run out and kill them.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 18, 2015, 06:35:18 PM
I see. Still, it makes apartments an inviolate sanctuary so long as someone is "in it" (or has logged out inside of it, since I don't know how you'd switch this feature off if the deadbolting PC logged off). And I'm philosophically opposed to that level of safety in the game.

Fair enough.  I don't feel strongly either way, just...constantly getting arm ideas recently, for some reason.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 18, 2015, 06:35:18 PM

This is where Bash Door comes in. I like the idea.

More lock variety begets more burglary tool variety.

I wouldn't be opposed, but it'd probably wind up being a little redundant.

Now suddenly you would have a requirement for a crowbar or Haligan tool type tool. I like this idea, as long as it is interspersed randomly like you can choose one on a door but not both. Now you suddenly have a door anyone can enter, but they will be carrying a large heavy tool, speed of opening said door is strength based, that now makes a lot of noise (ie. Room echo similar to a further shout) and someone can easily walk up on you doing. It would bethe high risk, easy way.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

First let's make lock picks less insanely difficult to find.

I'm fine with being able to bolt doors, would love there to be a way to break open doors as well though.  Triggering all respective crime code, and making a lot of racket everyone nearby can hear for warning.

Quote from: Delirium on February 18, 2015, 08:58:26 PM
First let's make lock picks less insanely difficult to find.

They aren't that insanely difficult to find.  They're contraband, yes, but there's plenty of people willing to deal in contraband.  Now to be able to find them without ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE KNOWN knowing that you have them, yes, that's an issue.  But that's where, if you're intent on secrecy, you can work out a plot to keep it secret, either by stealing the things, or 'getting rid of loose ends'.  Be a criminal.

"You got those whittled pieces a'bone I asked for, Malik?"
"Yeah, got 'em right here."
"Alright. Now you a loose end. Gotta die. For these whittled pieces of bone. Sorry, Malik."

You silently approach your target. . .

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 18, 2015, 09:41:12 PM
"You got those whittled pieces a'bone I asked for, Malik?"
"Yeah, got 'em right here."
"Alright. Now you a loose end. Gotta die. For these whittled pieces of bone. Sorry, Malik."

You silently approach your target. . .

Oversimplification and made ridiculous sounding, where it's not, if that's your goal.  If it's not your goal...then as stated...they're not that hard to find.

With few exceptions I think the availability of lock picks is entirely dependent on the number of PCs in your area that have branched pick-making, or how many the person you're working as an aide for found in their office when they spawned in.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

...or your willingness to ask for one from established groups of people who are like...known to be involved in things like that.

One group in one city that may or may not have a PC in a position to get them loaded by staff in lieu of someone capable of making them.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on February 18, 2015, 09:49:16 PM
One group in one city that may or may not have a PC in a position to get them loaded by staff in lieu of someone capable of making them.

One group, plus their associates, plus whomever else peddles in contraband, plus everyone looking to make an easy score with what they have and you don't.  If you're having a hard time finding one in that city, I'd say you're doing something to stand in your own way.  The other city, what you say may be true.  I don't play criminals there, because crime in that city is bland and set up in a way that I will not enjoy, so I don't do it.

Get them loaded by staff is a potentially misleading and probably outright false claim.  Sure, I've had to -wait- up to two or three RL days to get my hands on one.  Which leads me to believe that the real complaint isn't 'It's hard', it's 'It's not immediate'.  It gets loaded into the game the same way as...any other object people buy.

February 19, 2015, 05:30:10 PM #18 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:32:54 PM by gotdamnmiracle
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be ably to make them yourself. I actually have some skill with lock picking (bought a 60 pick set at a watch repair shop a couple years back and got pretty decent on deployment) and if I were picking simple locks made of bone and wood, it wouldn't be that hard to whittle down some picks. The level of skill would be crap to begin with, but over time I would have a better idea of what pick I would need for each lock, and assumedly I would be better at making them by that point. It's like picking a lock with a paperclip. You'll spend a couple hours doing it, if you don't ruin the lock, you will eventually open it as long as it's not some six tumbler expensive lock. Then you just use bolt cutters (or a crowbar or halligan tool) *ahem*.

Agreed.  Lockpicks are not some kind of difficult thing to craft.  Good ones might be, but something that could be used, but perhaps isn't optimal, should be readily available.  Slivers of bone are not rare. 

Quote from: wizturbo on February 19, 2015, 06:14:37 PM
Agreed.  Lockpicks are not some kind of difficult thing to craft.  Good ones might be, but something that could be used, but perhaps isn't optimal, should be readily available.  Slivers of bone are not rare. 

It sounds like coding that could be revamped and improved. I think I'll make the suggestion. If any of this is inappropriate, staff, please let me know.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on February 19, 2015, 11:04:06 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on February 19, 2015, 06:14:37 PM

It sounds like coding that could be revamped and improved. I think I'll make the suggestion. If any of this is inappropriate, staff, please let me know.

I'm not sure what the suggestion would be. Lockpicks are already craftable, by someone who can craft them. Not everyone can craft them, that is true; nor does every PC have the capacity to learn to craft them. That's just like any skill in the game, different PCs have different capabilities (from zero to master).
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

February 19, 2015, 11:19:46 PM #22 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:21:31 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Talia on February 19, 2015, 11:13:23 PM

I'm not sure what the suggestion would be. Lockpicks are already craftable, by someone who can craft them. Not everyone can craft them, that is true; nor does every PC have the capacity to learn to craft them. That's just like any skill in the game, different PCs have different capabilities (from zero to master).

Really simple solution would be to make items that are already common and shaped like a lockpick (slivers of bone, twigs, etc) act as makeshift lockpicks with a huge penalty to the lockpick skill, and a greater chance to break,  so you probably won't be able to use them for much unless you're really good at lockpicking or patient and get lucky.

Then at least one of the core skills of the burglar can be utilized (albeit inexpertly) without jumping through too many hoops.

February 20, 2015, 12:09:53 AM #23 Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:35:21 AM by gotdamnmiracle
Similiar to how you can utilize the bandage skill with objects not necessarily created by the bandage-making skill.

Furthermore, a "workaround" for methods into locked locations. I find it odd that a military organization operating a raid on a locked position would have to rely on a lock picker, or knock. Rams, pry bars, and axes have been around for a very long time. You could easily make this very strength based though, meaning some doors cannot be opened short of a half-giant with a thick ass crowbar, or a number of men using a ram, multiple times (probably shattering the door in the process). The ram would be easy enough to implement, because it would be like something very heavy, where someone can help you lift it, except it would add to the weight off the strike, making the door more likely to fold. This could be implemented on containers too, making it possible to destroy the container (randomly destroying objects inside). So you may be more likely to open a chest with a crowbar, than a door, but it would still be very loud, and probably heavy, possibly destroying whatever you intend to get. Breaching could be treated like it's own skill, tacked onto some sub guilds and a guild or two, or it could be something anyone could do with the right tools and muscles.

I will concede that this seems redundant, but it would allow for more frequency with locks as well as more brutal crime.

Bump keys. Torsion bars to go with those picks, 

Halfgiants/dwarfs or exceptional strengthed humans bashing doors.

Something to jam doorways/blockades.

Something to pry off barricades or pry open jammed blockades.

Booby traps to put on barricades. that make bashing them extremely dangerous.

Trip-lines.

Swinging booby-traps that go off when entering an outside room.

Constructable blockage-objects made by rangers/burglars that prevent travel in that direction, until someone attacks it and breaks it apart.

Traps that fall from above when a line is tripped.

Just... For the love of god... no more holes in the ground.