Formal Training in Tuluk

Started by Barsook, February 18, 2015, 02:42:46 PM

Quote from: HavokBlue on February 18, 2015, 02:23:26 PM
It would be neat if Tuluk had something similar to the Tor Academy for nobles and officers and whatnot now that the Legion and Faithful are somewhat separate entities.

Taking it from there to here.

Mods: can you take the other posts and move them here.  Also, if this in the wrong place, I'm sorry.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

The Circle could probably handle the theoretical aspects of such training, perhaps with occasional expert input from ranked Legionnaires or even Faithful. It would be great seeing the A'jinn Academy being put to use again, however, and especially for the more practical sides of what's discussed. It hasn't been open for PC business in 5+ years, but I don't remember the reason behind its closing other than one of the NPCs involved in it dying.

Is the A'jinn Academy controlled by some Noble House of Tuluk or is it a minor Merchant House?
Fredd-

I thought the whole Levy thing was for inter-clan/indy training in Tuluk.

Um, I think so, but not the form of what the Tor Academy is doing.  The Levy training is just sparring without the lessons.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on February 18, 2015, 03:18:38 PM
Um, I think so, but not the form of what the Tor Academy is doing.  The Levy training is just sparring without the lessons.
I got a few lessons...and from what I understand the Academy is an Academy and the Levy is 'Have fun being a shield wall', so they have their differences.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 18, 2015, 03:17:28 PM
I thought the whole Levy thing was for inter-clan/indy training in Tuluk.

When it's in use, it is. If it were utilized for training more often, I think it would be great, but it all depends on having the right people around at the right time... so, not a whole lot of training gets done. Still, I will say it's an excellent means of getting involved in some plots and possibly increasing your social standing, and it's not really supposed to be everyday Byn sparring.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

The A'jinn Academy is not actually documented in any of the helpfiles beyond it's location in HELP MAP TULUK.

I kept thinking for some reason one of the new minor merchant houses was in charge of it but I guess not.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on February 18, 2015, 04:19:19 PM
The A'jinn Academy is not actually documented in any of the helpfiles beyond it's location in HELP MAP TULUK.

I kept thinking for some reason one of the new minor merchant houses was in charge of it but I guess not.

The A'Jinn Academy was established by Sujaal A'jinn (played by LoD), who also established the initial presence of the T'zai Byn in Tuluk. That family doesn't have minor merchant house status in Tuluk, but that's because in the Days of Yore (tm), we didn't have any formal process for these things.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Here's an overview, which is correct to my knowledge:

The Tor Academy is purely for training. They teach you lessons, tactics, and how to be an advanced, higher level soldier. That is to say, it's not considered your run of the mill lessons, but could be seen as more of an officer's training--Though I believe that at different points in history, the training has varied a bit, sometimes with more or less being trained.

In Tuluk, the Tribal Levies are a commitment to serve and protect. You get training, but you are required to come when called, to help defend the Ivory. If you can't, there are IC consequences. Think of it as a bit like the Legions, but without the schedule. You're free to do your own thing, live your own life, except when they call on you--then you must fight for the city.

The A'Jinn Academy is actually something that you can find out ICly who supports and sponsors it. I know it may not seem that way, but if you ask the right people, you can find out. It is not open at this time for PCs, however.

Finally, while there used to be an open sparring area in Tuluk's arena, this was closed a RL year back. Maybe two. I think the reasons were sparring abuse, though I was never entirely clear on it.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I think the reason is, while Tuluk affects the image of wanting to protect its people, it doesn't want the common plebs to learn how to defend themselves effectively unless they've got their boots on said person's neck in a certain way.

Taven is correct about the purposes of the mentioned institutions.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"