If you could remove one thing...

Started by Majikal, February 17, 2015, 03:18:38 AM

I would remove the amazing invisibility of creatures the size of houses (and also smaller ones!) located diagonally to me.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 17, 2015, 03:48:54 PM
Having a private area for quiet conversations, intimate relations or simply storing goods and having a place your PC can feel at home is not too much to ask. I don't see how any of you could think this would be a good change.

So far as this, it can happen without apartments. There are backrooms to taverns for quiet relations. As far as storing goods, why does everyone who went salting for 20minutes deserve a decent-sized apartment to store their goods?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on February 17, 2015, 04:36:26 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 17, 2015, 03:48:54 PM
Having a private area for quiet conversations, intimate relations or simply storing goods and having a place your PC can feel at home is not too much to ask. I don't see how any of you could think this would be a good change.

So far as this, it can happen without apartments. There are backrooms to taverns for quiet relations. As far as storing goods, why does everyone who went salting for 20minutes deserve a decent-sized apartment to store their goods?

... you're grossly over-estimating the amount of coin that can be made salting, as well as not considering the potential risks. If that's your problem, just move the salt flats further away or make them even more dangerous. BAM, problem solved, without ruining having some tiny-ass private space to store a few bagsof rocks and maybe a cot if you're lucky.

EDIT: Also, consider that the costs of those backrooms is far greater than the cost of an apartment over time. It doesn't work.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Tetra on February 17, 2015, 01:50:59 PM
"Tawkin' like ye ain' e'er eard of ye mum befah!"

Annoying, incomprehensible, unnecessary.

I agree.  Use emotes or the accent code to indicate you're speaking with a thick accent...  No reason what so ever to make it hard to read what you're trying to say.  Especially so for people who don't speak English as a first language...it must be an absolute nightmare to roleplay with these people.

I guess this isn't one thing, but I would want to remove anything any other player likes.

I just summarized this whole thread
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

February 17, 2015, 04:48:22 PM #55 Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:51:32 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 17, 2015, 02:51:07 PM

If you have a problem with the way another character speaks, then please utilize the appropriate channel and file a player complaint with staff, rather than vaguely insulting the RP of numerous players who volunteer large chunks of their free time to enhance your role-playing experience.  :)

I'm asking them to consider whether writing their dialogue like that is necessary to "enhance the role-playing experience".  Many of these players are great role-players, I'm not going to complain about them to staff over something like this...wtf?  I'm just thinking that if I can barely understand what they're saying, someone who doesn't speak English as a first language is basically going to have ignore this person entirely because they may as well be speaking in ancient Etruscan.

I've always been a fan of the idea of actual tavern rooms, rentable per day for a max of 1 rl week. No keys, no locks, just a guard that lets you past (or doesn't) depending on who's on the guest list. If you're logged out in the room when rent expires, the room inventory gets reset and you're set to log into the public dormitories.

Presto, you have your private meeting spaces for whatever reason you need them for; because we all know that's what apartments are mostly used for anyway.

OT: my vote goes for the Sorcerer-Kings and all-powerful omnipotent beings in general.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 17, 2015, 04:44:31 PM
Quote from: Tetra on February 17, 2015, 01:50:59 PM
"Tawkin' like ye ain' e'er eard of ye mum befah!"

Annoying, incomprehensible, unnecessary.

I agree.  Use emotes or the accent code to indicate you're speaking with a thick accent...  No reason what so ever to make it hard to read what you're trying to say.  Especially so for people who don't speak English as a first language...it must be an absolute nightmare to roleplay with these people.

I used to be a fan of it.  It's something that lost its charm over time and just became a hassle that does -not- add anything.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: wizturbo on February 17, 2015, 04:48:22 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 17, 2015, 02:51:07 PM

If you have a problem with the way another character speaks, then please utilize the appropriate channel and file a player complaint with staff, rather than vaguely insulting the RP of numerous players who volunteer large chunks of their free time to enhance your role-playing experience.  :)

I'm asking them to consider whether writing their dialogue like that is necessary to "enhance the role-playing experience".  Many of these players are great role-players, I'm not going to complain about them to staff over something like this...wtf?  I'm just thinking that if I can barely understand what they're saying, someone who doesn't speak English as a first language is basically going to have ignore this person entirely because they may as well be speaking in ancient Etruscan.

I think he was basically just saying complaining about it on the GDB is pointless, and if you really don't want others to do it, player-complaints would be better.

I've complained about people who don't use punctuation or capitalization. Fuck those people it's so awkward to be around them.

Never ran into someone who used accents in a way that made it hard to understand what they're saying though, so I don't really see the problem with that.

English is my second language, and I can read through accents just fine.

And though you could argue for the accent code already portraying speech differences, sure, we only have one accent covering Luir's, the Warrens, the tuluki commons, the bards, and the northern nobility.

It's part of the reason why I think there should be a posh-accented sirihish tag.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I can't agree with Fujikoma more especially with the player-clan thing. Even before policies and warehouses were in place, some people were working out of apartments. Too well perhaps, that the apartment storage capacity was reduced.

The way housing works in this game can really be called a feature of the game at this point. I don't think I've seen another game, mud, mush, rpi or otherwise do houses as well as Armageddon mud. Small apartments people can be followed in to, spied on, robbed, or beaten isn't a lot to ask for, besides your apartment is probably one of the number one place in the game you are most likely to get murdered.

Instead of removing apartments, remove 25% of the npc soliders in the day, and 50% of them at night. Maybe then more exciting things will happen in taverns and people will be more willing to spend time there.

The only ones I'm worried about are the blind folk with screen readers, and that my bug filings have been ignored on huts, buildings, windows and the like which don't show up with brief room turned on, I think I can guess the stance on that.

That being said, Hellmoo, over the past god knows how many years, has had some rather amazing (and some just donwright infamous) blind players, despite the hideous, impossible to understand chat filters and spammy coded items like vuvuzelas, which seemed designed to grief screen-readers (although, after further reflection, a cooldown timer was placed on the blow function of these items), but then, besides the difficult to adjust boat code, usually obstacles to players using screen readers were quickly identified and removed, and it was frowned on to page-spam a blind player random letters and numbers (or at least, on the versions I've played, it was considered really bad form). I'm much more sensitive to those with disabilities than those with a language barrier, I've met many with english as a second language who do just fine.

TL;DR, I think some of you are complaining just to have something to complain about. Pretty much par for the course, but a little off-putting when there are actual concerns to be addressed that go beyond mere "pet-peeves".

Also, yes, Harmless, remove everything but the auto-truncating emote code, consolidate all players in the same room, eliminate all races but human, and have the descs of all PCs auto-generated.

Quote from: Scissors
Please remove rock.  It is broken.  Paper is just Fine.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Guys, please do not post flame-bait. Be respectful and kind to all opinions, like your lord and savior, Muk Utep, would have you be.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Going to ask again - Please keep it civil in here. I just had to moderate some posts.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on February 17, 2015, 06:16:49 PM
Muk Utep

Even though I feel staff have done a good job with it, an entity that knows the future and so is effectively infallible is a strange concept in a piece of shared interactive fiction.

Not necessarily a vote to remove Muk Utep, just a comment. :)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Why'd you mod my post mang... Or maybe I just didn't post it.  juststonerthings.gif

Anyways...

I see this thread not lasting very long. Complaining about parts of the game eventually leads to complaining about players or what players do. Wanting to remove one thing that other want to have just riles people up.

I would remove easily accessible, natural water sources.

Water should be way more scarce on a desert planet.

I almost said shortcuts to unrealistic wealth/skill gain, but then I remembered the real bĂȘte noire.

>get figurine shelf

You take the tiny brass silt horror figurine from the spacious and otherwise completely empty shelf.

think I better put this back.
You think "I better put this back," and if I may add, you totally should.

>put figurine shelf

There's no more room for that here.

>flip table

There would be no more room for the table to land.

>sigh

There's no more room for the air you are trying to exhale.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: Rhyden on February 17, 2015, 06:42:25 PM
desert planet.

I'd remove the sometimes unrelenting focus on Zalanthas being a "desert planet," because if it truly was all our characters would be dead by now. Add in a little more variation of terrain and weather. Think sandstorms are annoying? Try flash floods.

I'd remove the ability to contact people you don't even know/have seen and replace it with some sort of 'scan' command. After you scan someone in the same room, you can contact them.

The lemming follow-off-a-cliff complex everyone has.

I can understand this happening in a bad storm I guess. "Oh shit where'd everyone--- ahhhhHHHHHHHHhhhhhHHHHHHhhhh(...)!!!" But outside of that.

I'd remove some of the "Find out IC".

Like maps of the major cities including known stay-put merchants, it's a bit off-putting for a new player to try and realistically play a character that is a full-grown adult, but doesn't know where to guy to buy an ale.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: aeglaeca on February 17, 2015, 07:13:45 PM
The lemming follow-off-a-cliff complex everyone has.

I can understand this happening in a bad storm I guess. "Oh shit where'd everyone--- ahhhhHHHHHHHHhhhhhHHHHHHhhhh(...)!!!" But outside of that.

In the infantry, we had these highly reflective "cat eyes" on the back of our helmet bands, they showed up real well with night vision goggles. Problem with those goggles, no depth perception, the rule is, if the guy in front of you drops, or vanishes, you stop.