Which client to use

Started by Snapdragon, February 12, 2015, 12:50:02 PM

Hey there everyone.   So, after years and years of using SimpleMu it seems the site has gone down either temporarily or permenently.  Somehow my program got corrupted, and it's chopping off the tops of most of my letters in emotes, crafting, etc and because the website went down, I can't just redownload the program.   I'm looking for a good mud client to use that won't drive me nuts trying to figure out.   Any advice out there for me?  SimpleMu was my first client and I've been using it over 12 years
Obscurity is the refuge of the weak.

I use Mushclient most of the time. I understiand it has heaps of customization, but I just use it like a simpleton, and get by.

Mudlet is a good one too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

If you like minimalist clients yet with every feature you could possibly want (except an automapper but let's face it they all suck anyway) then I recommend tintin++. I am an expert and can help you get setuo. Only thing I haven't mastered are unix  regular expressions but you don't need those for most things.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

If you want to be truly hardcore, and don't want to use a telnet client, you can use GMud.

If you aren't a SERIOUS MASOCHIST, Mushclient tends to be pretty common.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I would still be using Gmud because of its simplicity, if my logging hadn't gone bug like on me.

Quote from: solera on February 13, 2015, 02:48:36 AM
I would still be using Gmud because of its simplicity, if my logging hadn't gone bug like on me.

The ONLY thing I want out of it, is to program in a timer function so I can echo back like "Its been 20 minutes" or whatever I'd need it to do. I like to program in idiosyncrasies, like random coughs for the sickly, etc.

The source code is out there. Someone get on that.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Tintin has excellent timer functionality..
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Honestly, I use GMud. Its simple and does everything I need, really. (macros, alias's, triggers, etc.)

GGMud is pretty nice, and I almost switched to it (because it would be nice to write some LUA scripts), but I couldn't get over the fact that when text got added to the screen, it would autoscroll you back to the bottom. Like, even if you were holding down the scrollbar thumb. Which made it a pain in the arse to scroll back up and look for things you'd missed, like during a crowded bar scene, or a wild fight.

Plus, I just can't change my fonts / colors... Zalanthas isn't Zalanthas in Courier. I just can't get used to it.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

If you liked Simplemu's splitscreen and spell check features and do not run windows 8 go with Cmud. I'lll send you some triggers and aliases and from there it's easy to adapt to what you need.
If you run windows 8 use mudlet
If you don't use the splitscreen and inline spellcheck, go wtih muchclient.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: solera on February 12, 2015, 01:02:33 PM
I use Mushclient most of the time. I understiand it has heaps of customization, but I just use it like a simpleton, and get by.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Hey there TS, it looks like you can download some version of it from tucows:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/196173

I haven't downloaded from tucows in probably over a decade, but I recently read they package adware with their stuff, so download at your own risk!

You might be better off downloading one of the other clients being recommended in this thread, but if she's your old standby nobody will fault you!

I used to MUD on telnet at 1200 baud... the first time I saw a modern MUD client I gasped in shock (I think it was zMUD... thing had built-in MUD listings and everything, it was amazing at the time).
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: i love toilets on February 16, 2015, 11:50:34 PM
Quote from: solera on February 12, 2015, 01:02:33 PM

If you put in the time and effort to learn the coding for triggers, it'll make your mud experience very "colorful".Documentation is a bit hard to find, but it's a very simple and effective client that I've come to prefer.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti