Making crafting less zomg

Started by nauta, January 11, 2015, 02:14:52 PM

Hi!

I've never been able to get into crafting, for a variety of reasons, but I really want to give it another go. 

Do people have tips on how to go about discovering recipes?  What I do at present is: (a) analyze objects I have in my hand, (b) ask IC, and (c) grab random things and run the CRAFT command on them.  Each has its limitations and frustrations.  (a), for instance, seems to fail if my skill level is too low, so I will often go a while thinking I can't craft something when I can.  (b) often lands you with really silly RP sessions (e.g., how do I make a poop campfire?).  (c) is also frustrating, since often you'll have to string things together.

The only thing I could think of to make things a little less frustrating would be to have some list available to those with the skill of what they can craft and with what (or maybe at least a limited set of the very obvious ones).  E.g., if you have floristry, it'd list off the sorts of things you can make at the skill level and what would be needed to make them.  Perhaps you could flag some things as "common" and others as "rare" and only the common ones would show up, I dunno.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

In before the FOIC.  <3 nauta.
Murder your darlings.

Relevant thread: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,47848.0.html

Here's another technique I was planning on using if I ever end up with a merchant with access to a warehouse. :D

Step 1: Put everything on the floor.
Step 2: Write a script to check all the combinations using the '.' keyword:

craft 1..
craft 2..
craft x..

craft 1.. 2..
craft 1.. 3..
craft 1.. x..

craft 1.. 2.. 3..

[...]

Step 3: reflect on life
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I usually do a mix of your three things. If I can figure out how to craft something, but fail consistently at doing so, it's not because I can't, it's because there's a trick to doing it my PC isn't getting, ect. To find new recipes, I'd do what I do in RL, experiment or ask.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Well, it's a long, drawn out process, I've found, some things are trial and error, some things you have to hope someone explains to you, like an experienced crafter or someone who really, REALLY wants that sword and has played a swordmaker a long time ago and has in their background that their pa was a swordsmith and he remembers this sword his pa used to make but he only learned to fight.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

"Help (crafting skill name)" will give you some starting recipes.

I so hated hated hated hated crafting. I actually enjoy it a lot now. Here are some tips:

1) Join a GMH, depending on the one you join they can help you with recipes. They have other crafters who have been there and done that.
2) Analyze things. If you see something different ask someone if you can take a look. For example: >tell sleek.warriror (eyeing ^sleek.warrior super incredible two handled battle axe) Wow! I like your battle axe, may I have a look at it?     It's especially, useful if you are in a clan or GMH when you're asking as most people will let you look as they feel you wouldn't steal it.
3) Just mix and match. You never know what you'll find with combinations.
4) Try to have other people around to talk to when you're crafting and emote what you're doing so it isn't so lame and boring.
5) Don't spend all your time crafting, get out and socialize and give it a rest once in a while.
6) Have fun!

Good Luck!
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Screw clans, clans obviously get more love than they need, fight the power.

Also, indie recipes are best recipes...
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword