Riding

Started by Silent Bob, September 19, 2003, 09:57:24 PM

If you are riding on a kank why does it say you walk direction.  Your are riding.  I think that should be fixed.  If I was walking it should say I am walking, but if I am riding and the mount moves I think it should say I ride north.

I believe everyone else sees something like, "the ugly dwarf has arrived from then west, riding a yellow kank" or "the ugly dwarf walks east, riding a yellow kank". Not perfect, but the fact that you're riding is still conveyed.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Something to add along the same lines.... Right now one continues to stand if they are riding a kank... could this be changed to sitting? And all the benifits of sitting?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

5DMW, I think the original poster meant that when one moves, when mounted, the mud echos to that person 'You walk [direction]'  instead of something more accurately descriptive like 'You ride [direction].'   Personally, this is something that I could appreciate...not that my current character has never ridden anything, nor will he probably ever, but I have ridden with past characters and probably will with a future one.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "My 2 sids"Right now one continues to stand if they are riding a kank... could this be changed to sitting? And all the benifits of sitting?
Disagree.  Riding is an non-passive ability that requires (in theory) concentration and proficiency, hence the skill.  Leave as is.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

QuoteSomething to add along the same lines.... Right now one continues to stand if they are riding a kank... could this be changed to sitting? And all the benifits of sitting?

I dunno, seems that riding would be enough of an activity to not warrant regaining stamina.  I'm sure someone who has actually rode a horse would be able to chime in.

Put it this way, if hiding keeps you from regaining stamina, riding should as well.

The message you get is...

The curvaceous templar (mount) walks west, carrying the ungodly-phallused mul (rider) on its back.
Back from a long retirement

If your horse knows its way, you could be slung over the saddle, unconscious, doing absolutely nothing whatsoever, and the horse would take you to safety. The same goes for exhaustion. You can sleep in the saddle and a well-trained horse will take you home. Granted, it won't be a very peaceful rest, but you would regain some "stamina" of the real-life variety during the trip.

I wouldn't mind seeing a minor stamina gain while riding. Unless your mount is set to run, you're not really doing much of anything other than just watching and kicking your bootheels into the mount's side from time to time. If you're really good at it, you don't even need to do that. Just lean slightly one way or another and your mount will know to turn.

I've ridden everything from a stupid corral nag to a thoroughbred jumper, and I can say without reservation that riding -can- be relaxing, depending on the purpose of the ride.

Honest questions here.

Would riding over sandy dunes seem like a relaxing ride to you?

I get the message I walk that way.  I dont ever get I ride that way.  From the outside it is right you see me riding that way but I don't.  Thats what is wrong.  I should get a message I ride that way as well.  I am not walking.

Here is another honest question -

who rides horses in Armageddon?

People ride kanks, they look like ants and i dont think there
are bridles, perhaps the saddles are made so you need to stand
in order to use it correctly, forcing the kank to move with your
legs.

Or you can ride like Paul Atradies did in Dune!
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

Quote from: "Anarchy"who rides horses in Armageddon?
Hunt around ingame.  That said, I still disagree with any sort of boost to regeneration when mounted.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "My 2 sids"Something to add along the same lines.... Right now one continues to stand if they are riding a kank... could this be changed to sitting? And all the benifits of sitting?

And the penalties?  Ugh.  If you got ambushed you would simply die, what with the defence penalty for riding plus the defence penalty for sitting.

I think the code would react baddly, like if you tried to flee it would tell you "Maybe you should stand up first!"  That seems like a recipie for bugs and disaster to me.  The code wouldn't like people moving around while sitting.  Making riding a completely new position, with seperate characteristics from either standing or sitting might work, might work.  Then again it might not work.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Perhaps this could be fixed by letting you see an echo of your 'movement' emotes.

That way, you would see:

The purple kank walks west, carrying you on its back.

That would prevent confusion by walking west and then realizing you're actually not on your mount. It would also be handy for viewing your actual movement emotes.

>w (humming quietly)
You walk west, humming quietly.

Ride a horse for a day and just think about how much your butt dont hurt.  Because if you are not used to riding it hurts like hell.  Being good at it just makes it hurt about half as much.  Know why cowboys are bowlegged cause their their rumps are sore for years after they stop ridding.  At the end of the day they is beat tired not refreshed and  :roll: wanting to go out line dancing.