CGP/ext subguilds/skill bump discussion

Started by Nyr, January 08, 2015, 03:57:58 PM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 08, 2015, 07:42:00 PM
This is WAY better than my Christmas was. What I'm most excited for is bumping up the skills that are for jobs so you can go in immediately with a useful skill.

You can start out the game with master forage and become an insane salter. Or Start with master cooking and instantly start up a food business. Master Scan and you're a you're now the AoD's #1 spider-avoider. Master Ride and you're now a Inix wrangler.

The possibilities to just jump into the game and be useful is fucking awesome.

Could've sworn I remember reading that the cap on skill bumps is journeyman.

Some skills will be limited/restricted from being bumped.  For instance, weapon skills and some combat skills will not be bump-able more than twice each; the same goes for hide, sneak, steal, and backstab.  Offense/defense will not be an option for bumping.

As I understand, for -each time- we create a character we will have CGP equal to our Karma score and via special app. may have up to karma +3 CGP. I mean still karma scores are not something that is spent right?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: Gaare on January 09, 2015, 01:15:56 AM
As I understand, for -each time- we create a character we will have CGP equal to our Karma score and via special app. may have up to karma +3 CGP. I mean still karma scores are not something that is spent right?

For now I think that's correct.  I believe the future goal is to have it be a currency that regenerates at a fixed rate of time...to naturally limit the higher karma roles into being more scarce.

Quote from: wizturbo on January 09, 2015, 04:04:52 AM

For now I think that's correct.  I believe the future goal is to have it be a currency that regenerates at a fixed rate of time...to naturally limit the higher karma roles into being more scarce.

Thank you!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: Gaare on January 09, 2015, 04:14:10 AM
Quote from: wizturbo on January 09, 2015, 04:04:52 AM

Thank you!

Just to make sure this is perfectly clear, it is each time you create a character using a CGP application (extended subguild/special app/skill bump request types).

QuoteWhat are the restrictions on CGP applications?

Each player has three total CGP applications they may use per RL year period at a rate of no greater than one per month period.  This means that you must wait at least one RL month between one CGP application and the next.  If you file a CGP application in January 2014, April 2014, and May 2014, your slots for CGP applications will be full until January 2015 (at which point, one will open up).  In April 2015, another will open up.  In May 2015, the last one will open up.

I am fairly certain that this was well understood but I wanted to makes sure that there wasn't any expectation set based on the "-each time- we create a character" statement.  Though it can be each time if you are only going through 3 characters per RL year and they are spaced at least one month apart!

Thanks!

Quote from: Nathvaan on January 09, 2015, 06:18:55 AM

Just to make sure this is perfectly clear, it is each time you create a character using a CGP application (extended subguild/special app/skill bump request types).

QuoteWhat are the restrictions on CGP applications?

Each player has three total CGP applications they may use per RL year period at a rate of no greater than one per month period.  This means that you must wait at least one RL month between one CGP application and the next.  If you file a CGP application in January 2014, April 2014, and May 2014, your slots for CGP applications will be full until January 2015 (at which point, one will open up).  In April 2015, another will open up.  In May 2015, the last one will open up.

I am fairly certain that this was well understood but I wanted to makes sure that there wasn't any expectation set based on the "-each time- we create a character" statement.  Though it can be each time if you are only going through 3 characters per RL year and they are spaced at least one month apart!

Thanks!

Under the old special application process which also had the limited number over time restriction, my understanding was that one could submit and get a special application approved, but not actually create the character just yet - this was useful for preparing a concept and approval ahead of time, if one already had an existing character.  This applied for the Ext Subguild process if I'm not mistaken as well, but that was always a much shorter process than a spec app anyway.  Is there a similar distinction between submitting and/or getting a CGP application approved and actually creating the character, since CGP apps potentially combine special applications in terms of the time limit restriction? 

For clarity:

(a) Can one hold a pending approved special CGP application for future use as well?
(b) Can one do the same for a non-special CGP application?
(c) When does the clock start for the date limitations: when the application is submitted?  Approved?  Or when the actual character using the approval is created?
(d) Does the answer to (c) apply to both special and non-special CGP applications?

As an aside, in the original post on the topic, Nyr mentioned to check one's score to confirm the correct subguild was applied - is there also a change going in for the score display to show guild/subguild?  If not and he meant to check one's skills instead, I don't think it'd be a terrible addition to the game to have the former, actually, for that very purpose.  Or does it actually show in one's score and I'm somehow blind or not using the command properly?

Thanks in advance!
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 08, 2015, 09:18:16 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 08, 2015, 07:42:00 PM
This is WAY better than my Christmas was. What I'm most excited for is bumping up the skills that are for jobs so you can go in immediately with a useful skill.

You can start out the game with master forage and become an insane salter. Or Start with master cooking and instantly start up a food business. Master Scan and you're a you're now the AoD's #1 spider-avoider. Master Ride and you're now a Inix wrangler.

The possibilities to just jump into the game and be useful is fucking awesome.

Could've sworn I remember reading that the cap on skill bumps is journeyman.

There was, but it was under the old policy.  I don't see anything like that in the new policy.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

(a) Yes.  If you are approved for such an application in the request tool you may play it at any point in the future.  We did initially want players to play them more quickly when we were intent on getting some results from testing.  At this time that is no longer the expectation.
(b) I am not sure what you are asking here.  Can you have a PC be approved for play and not play it?  Yes.  I think that may be what you are asking, but I am not sure.
(c) Date of submission.  However, this can be a little bit flaky.  Might need Nathvaan to confirm exactly how it works, because my own understanding is not exact on this.  In fact, when players have pointed out that it didn't work as indicated (waited 30 days, or a full calendar month, and it didn't let them submit another), my best reply has been "well, wait 24 hours and try again," at which point it works...
(d) I am not sure what you are asking here.  There is no coded restriction on normal applications.

As for checking your score, oops!  I did mean skills, definitely check your skills.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

why do all the good implementations come in just after I start playing a spec app?  :P

You guys rock.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Nyr on January 09, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
(c) Date of submission.  However, this can be a little bit flaky.  Might need Nathvaan to confirm exactly how it works, because my own understanding is not exact on this.  In fact, when players have pointed out that it didn't work as indicated (waited 30 days, or a full calendar month, and it didn't let them submit another), my best reply has been "well, wait 24 hours and try again," at which point it works...

I don't have the bandwidth to dig into this deeper at the moment but I suspect that it is set to roll over at 31 days, which means some months it will be one month + 24 hrs.

Aw damn, I thought I had one of these coming up but I'm going to have to wait an extra month?

It stings!

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 09, 2015, 01:03:54 PM
Aw damn, I thought I had one of these coming up but I'm going to have to wait an extra month?

It stings!

It can't hurt to confirm with staff when you should be able to file another.  That way if it is actually sooner than you expect, you can file it sooner.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Will you be taking age into account?

Like if I want to play a 12 year old militia recruit human warrior with advanced parry and advanced slashing and I have 4+ karma, is that possible?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

We don't let people play characters younger than 13, but no, we aren't taking age into account for this beyond that.

One wouldn't be able to bump slashing to advanced anyway, though, from what I gather.

Quote from: Nyr on January 09, 2015, 02:17:28 PM
One wouldn't be able to bump slashing to advanced anyway, though, from what I gather.

Even considering certain chargen bonuses applied by a character's starting location?
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Nyr on January 09, 2015, 02:17:28 PM
We don't let people play characters younger than 13, but no, we aren't taking age into account for this beyond that.

Oh yeah, I meant 13..

I figured that a warrior would start at like apprentice slashing so +1 to journeyman then +1 to advanced for a total of 2 CGP but then I don't really know what are the starting skill levels for every classes.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

If you want to play a 13 year old would-be Muk Utep with 11 skill bumps then go for it. Your capabilities will directly relate to the trust we have in you as a player. If you get in game and play the character in a bizarre or unrealistic way we'll handle it like anything else!

It's a pretty boss concept though - the kid destined for greatness....

Weapons skills are subject to restrictions--no more than two bumps, and since they do not scale the same way as most other skills, they won't necessarily be skills that would see a bump from "apprentice" straight up to "advanced."  (The equivalent would probably be somewhere high in the journeyman level.)  But still, that's quite a bump--nearly equivalent to some sponsored military role setups I've seen, at least in that one area.

Quote from: Nyr on January 09, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
(a) Yes.  If you are approved for such an application in the request tool you may play it at any point in the future.  We did initially want players to play them more quickly when we were intent on getting some results from testing.  At this time that is no longer the expectation.
(b) I am not sure what you are asking here.  Can you have a PC be approved for play and not play it?  Yes.  I think that may be what you are asking, but I am not sure.
(d) I am not sure what you are asking here.  There is no coded restriction on normal applications.

As for checking your score, oops!  I did mean skills, definitely check your skills.

Sorry, wasn't fully awake this morning and for whatever reason the had the idea in my head that special apps were distinct, thanks Nyr.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I didn't see this anywhere else so I will ask here incase other people were wondering.

When you have sent in a request for an Ext. Subguild and have been approved, does it matter what subguild you pick when you actually create the character? Should we pick something close to what the Ext Subguild would be or just any random subguild that staff can easily change prior to approving the character for actual play? Just wondering if it's a simple change from subguild linguist to ext subguild aggressor, or if you had to manually add each skill and remove the ones from the normal subguild.

I saw in the approval email for my request that I should check the skills in the Hall of Kings once in game, which is why I picked something not related to the Ext Subguild in order to easily notice that the Ext Subguild has been added.

Just wondering what would be easier for staff to do, or if it doesn't really matter which one we choose at creation.

Usually it says in the acceptance to just pick any, but make sure to note that you were approved for blah with request number blah in your background.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: wildhalfling on January 24, 2015, 09:20:40 AM
I didn't see this anywhere else so I will ask here incase other people were wondering.

When you have sent in a request for an Ext. Subguild and have been approved, does it matter what subguild you pick when you actually create the character? Should we pick something close to what the Ext Subguild would be or just any random subguild that staff can easily change prior to approving the character for actual play? Just wondering if it's a simple change from subguild linguist to ext subguild aggressor, or if you had to manually add each skill and remove the ones from the normal subguild.

I saw in the approval email for my request that I should check the skills in the Hall of Kings once in game, which is why I picked something not related to the Ext Subguild in order to easily notice that the Ext Subguild has been added.

Just wondering what would be easier for staff to do, or if it doesn't really matter which one we choose at creation.

It doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you do this:

QuoteYou will need to include the request # in your PC's background and detail "approved for extended subguild X" where X is the subguild you were approved for.