CGP/ext subguilds/skill bump discussion

Started by Nyr, January 08, 2015, 03:57:58 PM

So do I need 4 karma for a half-giant Rukkian, or can Iapply as normal if iI only have 3?

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 08, 2015, 04:30:08 PM
So do I need 4 karma for a half-giant Rukkian, or can Iapply as normal if iI only have 3?

Currently this system is running parallel to existing code in the MUD itself. So if you have 3k on your account you can currently play characters that will eventually cost 5CGP - such as HG rukkians. This isn't a bug, just an artefact of us introducing a new system manually as the code is worked on.

Edit: Also under the new system you will need 5CGP for a rukkian HG - 2CGP for the guild + 3CGP for the race.

I'm pretty sure a HG rukkian falls outside this system to anyone with 5+ karma, is specappable for the people with 2-4, and is unplayable for people with 1 or 0 karma.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on January 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
I'm pretty sure a HG rukkian falls outside this system to anyone with 5+ karma, is specappable for the people with 2-4, and is unplayable for people with 1 or 0 karma.

Correct - if you use this system and send in a spec. app. you'll not be able to afford a HG viv/rukkian unless you have at least 2 karma.

January 08, 2015, 04:53:27 PM #29 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:55:36 PM by Orin
So if I understand it correctly the amount of CGP you will be capped at still depends on the arbitrary doling out of karma by staff, plus 3 for a special application.  Is there any plan to change the karma additions to a review process or something that is more transparent to players?

Or maybe in the future karma will be done away with altogether in favor of CGP (plus or minus a few tweaks)?
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

Quote from: Orin on January 08, 2015, 04:53:27 PM
So if I understand it correctly the amount of CGP you will be capped at still depends on the arbitrary doling out of karma by staff, plus 3 for a special application.  Is there any plan to change the karma additions to a review process or something that is more transparent to players?

Or maybe in the future karma will be done away with altogether in favor of CGP (plus or minus a few tweaks)?

Nope - CGP is basically just karma under a new name! Karma also still represents trust invested in a player by staff, so it will remain doled out by staff. How arbitrary this process is can be debated - we follow a set of guidelines that we hope ensure that karma is given to players who deserve the trust it embodies. There is a sort of review process at the moment - you can submit an account notes request and ask for a karma review. We'll compare your current karma to our set of guidelines and discuss whether or not more karma is warranted - then grant it.

Have we considered maybe adjusting some of the karma levels for classes so that they aren't so easily available to everyone?

My primary concern is whirans, which were moved up the chain and out of the reach of most people for very good reasons...just became available to everyone at least once a year who has a minimum of three karma....which leaves me with sad feelings.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on January 08, 2015, 05:05:19 PM
Have we considered maybe adjusting some of the karma levels for classes so that they aren't so easily available to everyone?

My primary concern is whirans, which were moved up the chain and out of the reach of most people for very good reasons...just became available to everyone at least once a year who has a minimum of three karma....which leaves me with sad feelings.

They were available to those same people prior to this announcement.  For the last couple of years the rule has been you may special app something that is within 3 points of your current karma level. 
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on January 08, 2015, 05:06:57 PM

They were available to those same people prior to this announcement.  For the last couple of years the rule has been you may special app something that is within 3 points of your current karma level. 

That makes me feel better. I had not considered this.

My primary concern is whirans, which were moved up the chain and out of reach of most people for very good reasons...just became available to everyone at least once a year who has a minimum of three karma....which leaves me with sad feelings.

This isn't different to how it was before this? You have always been able to apply for things 3 karma levels above your current level. Anyone who has wanted to play a whiran has needed at least 3 karma to spec. app. a whiran since we adjusted its karma level. Note that just because you special app. for something within 3 karma does not mean you're going to get it. We assess what your application brings to the game, current levels of a given guild in the game at the time and your history as a player before we grant special applications. The level of scrutiny applied increases the further your desired guild is from your current karma.

Quote from: Rathustra on January 08, 2015, 05:08:51 PM

My primary concern is whirans, which were moved up the chain and out of reach of most people for very good reasons...just became available to everyone at least once a year who has a minimum of three karma....which leaves me with sad feelings.

This isn't different to how it was before this? You have always been able to apply for things 3 karma levels above your current level. Anyone who has wanted to play a whiran has needed at least 3 karma to spec. app. a whiran since we adjusted its karma level. Note that just because you special app. for something within 3 karma does not mean you're going to get it. We assess what your application brings to the game, current levels of a given guild in the game at the time and your history as a player before we grant special applications. The level of scrutiny applied increases the further your desired guild is from your current karma.

I herped when I should have derped. Thank you for the reply. All is well in the world on Desertman's front once again.  :)

Quote from: Desertman on January 08, 2015, 05:12:01 PM

I herped when I should have derped. Thank you for the reply. All is well in the world on Desertman's front once again.  :)

Yeah, whoops - didn't mean to double team you there. Hopefully the extra stuff about our procedure for granting guilds is helpful though.

Quote from: Rathustra on January 08, 2015, 05:13:07 PM
Quote from: Desertman on January 08, 2015, 05:12:01 PM

Yeah, whoops - didn't mean to double team you there. Hopefully the extra stuff about our procedure for granting guilds is helpful though.

Yar yar. Gracias.

How do I know how much karma I have? Do I have to ask each time (which takes weeks sometimes to get a response since less prioritized), or is there an easy coded way to learn this? Thanks,

Quote from: najdorf on January 08, 2015, 05:44:35 PM
How do I know how much karma I have? Do I have to ask each time (which takes weeks sometimes to get a response since less prioritized), or is there an easy coded way to learn this? Thanks,

If your karma had been increased or decreased since your last account notes request, you would have received an email about it. So you can look at your last account notes request to see what your current karma is.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Wonderful change.  Kudos.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: najdorf on January 08, 2015, 05:44:35 PM

Open your mud client.

Connect to Arm, put in your user name and password.
The first menu you see after that, select o (the letter o, not the number 0)

You'll see all the guild/race options you have  - you can compare with the help file on karma options to see the numeric value of your karma.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Does this mean you're only accepting Skill Bumps as starting out characters? I thought in some cases Skill Bumps are granted to existing older characters or am I just missing something here?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on January 08, 2015, 06:45:59 PM
Does this mean you're only accepting Skill Bumps as starting out characters? I thought in some cases Skill Bumps are granted to existing older characters or am I just missing something here?

Unless I'm corrected I don't believe we grant skill bumps as part of the special application process except to new characters. There is a mostly antiquated 'Skill Change' request where you can petition for a skill change to an existing character, citing roleplay or other circumstance - but these are rarely approved except for bugs or previously approved situations (perhaps agreed upon as part of an 'old style' special application or role application).

January 08, 2015, 06:58:31 PM #45 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:00:17 PM by Kismetic

HOLY SHIT GUYS THIS IS LIKE EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ASKING FOR.

I'm so excited, there's a ton of great possibilities. Being able to spend that many cgp on skills alone is now a HUGE factor. And being able to do BOTH that and Extended subguild blew my mind.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 08, 2015, 07:02:14 PM
HOLY SHIT GUYS THIS IS LIKE EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ASKING FOR

Like watching a kid on Christmas morning.

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

This is WAY better than my Christmas was. What I'm most excited for is bumping up the skills that are for jobs so you can go in immediately with a useful skill.

You can start out the game with master forage and become an insane salter. Or Start with master cooking and instantly start up a food business. Master Scan and you're a you're now the AoD's #1 spider-avoider. Master Ride and you're now a Inix wrangler.

The possibilities to just jump into the game and be useful is fucking awesome.

Yeah honestly I have only one problem with all of this.

It wasn't announced on April 1st.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.