Language questions (from ask the staff)

Started by crymerci, September 19, 2003, 04:51:32 PM

I have noticed garbling myself a few times.

It seems like whenever you have more than one language, your sirihish gets an occasional single letter garbled.  This seems more prevalent if your listener also has several languages (not sure if they just have to be on the skill list, or if percentages play a role).

I also have the impression that sirihish and R/W sirihish are different languages, causing these single-letter garbles to happen when nobles are talking to commoners.

At first I thought these were typos, but when someone types (random example) rapqor instead of raptor, it seems like more than a slip of the fingers.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

In my case it was not the occasional letter that was garbled.  It was well over half of them.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

In my case though, it's exactly what you described. One of them that I noticed also had to do with a noble.

I am pretty sure there was a bug with the linguist subguild where your race's primary language would get your skill in it reduced or something, resulting in a messed up letter every now and then.

QuoteI am pretty sure there was a bug with the linguist subguild where your race's primary language would get your skill in it reduced or something, resulting in a messed up letter every now and then.

Yeah, I noticed this a few times too. The typo just seems so out of place on the keyboard, like a 'n' instead of a 'r'. Does your skill ever get rebuilt up or do you need to wish up about it?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I thought the word was you had to wish up/mail the mud since there was a cap on subguild skills, but that was then.

I don't believe the linguist subguild would put an actual cap on your languages skills...from what I understand, there is no cap on language skills and the linguist subguild just gives additional languages at near perfect fluency.  Personally, I've played a linguist for some time and never noticed any garble in Sirihish from another native speaker...that or I simply dismissed it as a typo.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quotegives additional languages at near perfect fluency

Exactly.  Your base language, whether Allundean, Sirihish or Mirukkim, gets set to near perfect along with the others that are added.

At least, that was the problem back like 6 months ago.