Culture in terms of water.

Started by rodic, December 16, 2014, 08:29:53 PM

Can I be honest? I wish that the stuff that gets hunted and gathered would just disappear every couple of months, unless you went to some trouble to keep it from doing so. Then all the compounds would not be filled with stuff and people would have a reason to go out and get more stuff.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Hey guys, you know what I'm thinking? If sorcerers needed to water an area which is defiled in order to make the land "neutral"... Someone would think that either Tek had a bunch of Vivanduans as his apprentices who would water the land for Tek. Either that or maybe that whole place that's South of the Shield Wall was actually filled with water. Perhaps other sorcerers living in seclusion may have a Vivanduan with him/her so it'll be easier to get water because the Vivanduans don't need to defile at all.

Just my two 'sids right there.

Quote from: Barzalene on February 02, 2015, 08:04:03 PM
Can I be honest? I wish that the stuff that gets hunted and gathered would just disappear every couple of months, unless you went to some trouble to keep it from doing so. Then all the compounds would not be filled with stuff and people would have a reason to go out and get more stuff.

+1

Oh, yeah, when I join a clan the first thing I do is junk all the stuff.  (Not really, but sometimes I wish.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

February 03, 2015, 12:20:38 AM #28 Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:39:51 AM by bcw81
A veteran player (Gimfalisette I believe) pointed out to me how arduous it is to keep underlings watered, so I'd lean toward not stripping all clans of their simple water sources.  wizturbo's comments are good.

It would be cool if lower class clans only had access to 'grey water' ... unless it's significantly worse at quenching thirst (maybe it shouldn't be?).  An underutilized liquid type in my opinion.  A higher prevalence of dirty water in the game would underscore the value and rarity pure, clean water has.

Edited by Bcw81: Please make sure to spell other user's names correctly.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I'm down for the use of different water types. Very few people will buy the grey water when, in other areas, the regular water is just as cheap if not cheaper.

I'd rather water tuns refill SLOWER than they do, but allow them to still refill. No, Bynners dying because of no water isn't fun, but "The tun is getting low" should still be an issue if you're in a big swing"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Totally agree with the grey water comments.  Only high-class clans should have pure clean water for their clan members.

If clans stop having actual water, I'm going to stop bothering with clans altogether. I can say without exaggerating that I have been in clans where I didn't see clannies for weeks on end. Removing free water would make anyone not from America unable to effectively play in a clan.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Yeah you can't remove water from clans. What everyone has been saying, I am part of Byn one of the largest clans I am guessing. Still see stretches where I log and don't see anyone. Removing water, maybe even limiting just wouldn't work. Now I am all for limiting things that are non-essential to help the player economy.

I agree it would be cool if the only -kind- of water you could get was grey water, unless you were a Noble or Templar.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

What's grey water?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Lower-quality water. You can find it in various places in game.

Quote from: Down Under on February 03, 2015, 01:07:01 PM
I agree it would be cool if the only -kind- of water you could get was grey water, unless you were a Noble or Templar.

I wouldn't go that far.  Non-nobles can buy wine, it'd be stupid if they couldn't buy clean water as well...just have it cost more, like it already does in most cases now.

I find it sort of interesting that grey water is for sale anywhere. It seems sand and charcoal are readily available (at least, charcoal should be in the north) and that making a makeshift water filter would be a common thing to do.

Quote from: Down Under on December 17, 2014, 07:11:58 PM
Really hard to find in the wastes, though.

lol, no.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Grey water IS sand-filtered water. That perfecly clear reverse osmosis shit? That's magickly made or filtered through miles of rock and sediment. Essentially spring-water.

I think it would be neat if some ancient source of mystical technology could be fond that dehydrates corpses and pours out the water.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Make Vivaduans only able to draw water out of corpses instead of poofing it up.

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 03, 2015, 11:07:18 PM
Make Vivaduans only able to draw water out of corpses instead of poofing it up.

Or poop.

Somewhere, deep in the sewers, a sinister cabal of rogue mages plans to supply Allanak with poo-water.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

February 04, 2015, 01:43:56 AM #43 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:46:19 AM by Cabooze
Revamp water?

Dark-grey water or sandy-brown water. Replace some of the local free watering holes out there with the type. Make it reduce thirst only slightly to represent its lack of quality.

Make grey water the norm that water traders give you. It would also be the norm for lower-level Houses (Be it Merchant or Surif). It would reduce thirst more than dark-grey (or sandy-brown) water but it's still quite lacking.

Clean water is reserved for higher-class Surif houses and in the richer times of Merchant Houses. It can also be found if you know what you're doing. Or you're buddies with a witch or you are one. It's probably the best and most refreshing water, unless there's some sort of enchanted water somewhere.... *crosses fingers*

This would greatly revitalize the rarity and significance of water. Because face it: It's too easy to get and it's not something you struggle for at mostly any point in time. Unless you're 100% new and you're still learning the game.

I don't quite understand the mindset that water should be difficult/rare to get as a PC.  To me, it seems more like a virtual concern that's meant to augment role play and the flavor of the world...rather than hinder the playability of PCs. 

The only thing I could see making water more scarce could do is improve the demand for Vivaduans...which frankly I think are demanded more for their healing than their water these days, which is unfortunate because I'd love to see the dynamic of Vivaduans being those types you need, even if you don't like it.

Quote from: Cabooze on February 04, 2015, 01:43:56 AM
Dark-grey water or sandy-brown water. Replace some of the local free watering holes out there with the type. Make it reduce thirst only slightly to represent its lack of quality.

Make grey water the norm that water traders give you. It would also be the norm for lower-level Houses (Be it Merchant or Surif). It would reduce thirst more than dark-grey (or sandy-brown) water but it's still quite lacking.

I'm all for the dirtying of "free" water (of just about any variety - the stuff you find outdoors, the stuff you find in the barrel in the Byn barracks which should by all accounts have hair and teeth floating around in it).

But I don't think there should be a drastic difference.  First, is it realistic that there would be a drastic difference?  It's still 99.2% water, after all.  Moreover, if there were a drastic difference, clan leaders would have to compensate and have their underlings carry around more waterskins (more OOC logistics to deal with).

Quote from: CodeMaster on February 04, 2015, 02:08:14 AM
 Moreover, if there were a drastic difference, clan leaders would have to compensate and have their underlings carry around more waterskins (more OOC logistics to deal with).

But wouldn't that be more realistic if it was changed like that? Have one (or two) P(eople)erson be your water mule. Have enough water for everyone in the group. A support type.

Quote from: Cabooze on February 04, 2015, 02:11:02 AM

I'm all for the dirtying of "free" water (of just about any variety - the stuff you find outdoors, the stuff you find in the barrel in the Byn barracks which should by all accounts have hair and teeth floating around in it).

But I don't think there should be a drastic difference.  First, is it realistic that there would be a drastic difference?  It's still 99.2% water, after all.  Moreover, if there were a drastic difference, clan leaders would have to compensate and have their underlings carry around more waterskins (more OOC logistics to deal with).

But wouldn't that be more realistic? Have one (or two) P(eople)erson be your water mule. Have enough water for everyone in the group. A support type.

Yeah.  And this used to be my thinking too -- that water should be this huge logistical issue that you should have to deal with ... that the people in clans should actually have to work to keep their water supply filled, etc.  I still think that would be cool, and it would be cool if there were at least one clan that was concerned with day-to-day survival...

But it was explained to me that, if you're a sergeant and you've got four underlings, most of them new to the game, and you have to organize to get one of them to be the water mule before you can leave the gates, the sun's going to be setting before you know it.

Quote from: CodeMaster on February 04, 2015, 02:14:05 AM
Quote from: Cabooze on February 04, 2015, 02:11:02 AM

But wouldn't that be more realistic? Have one (or two) P(eople)erson be your water mule. Have enough water for everyone in the group. A support type.

Yeah.  And this used to be my thinking too -- that water should be this huge logistical issue that you should have to deal with ... that the people in clans should actually have to work to keep their water supply filled, etc.  I still think that would be cool, and it would be cool if there were at least one clan that was concerned with day-to-day survival...

But it was explained to me that, if you're a sergeant and you've got four underlings, most of them new to the game, and you have to organize to get one of them to be the water mule before you can leave the gates, the sun's going to be setting before you know it.

Just means you have to run training with them! :)
Go through drills, practice each person being the mule. Roleplay it out. People will learn OOC as their characters learn IC (As I have through similar sorts of training sessions, being informed about specific syntax).