Look as a hemote

Started by whitt, December 10, 2014, 02:38:17 PM

Waying discussion got me thinking... Must everyone get a blatant echo of every look?  Yes, assess and assess -v are hemotes, but you don't see the description or what the person is wearing then. 

Quote from: musashi on November 05, 2012, 04:02:05 AM
I have in point of fact, looked at someone only to notice ZOMFG they're wearing something retardedly magickal jesus fuckballs!

Would have never known it was there, despite it being so glaring obvious and attention drawing, if I had not used the look command.

Jeez, can we just make look <pc> an hemote like echo already?  :-\
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

'Tis a topic of much contention, one broached many times before.

I myself am on the fence; there's merits for and against.

Good idea. Even when one looks at someone's worn items, like "look man's cloak" it'd be good to have a chance to notice.  When an emote attached, it'd make sense that that wouldn't be something subtle and would just be a regular echo.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Relevant previous discussion here: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?topic=43772.15

My braindump on this:

"<so and so> looks at you." is one of the oldest and most fundamental interactions in all of MUD-dom.  When someone looks at you, they are implicitly telling you that they are a fellow participant in this world, and are paying attention to the character you've projected into their fantasy.  That sounds ridicuously idyllic because it is, but it's the main reason I like look echoes. :)

An hemoted version of look, a "glance" that isn't quite a "peek", isn't a bad idea at all.  It could be an interesting variation that only shows you items in key locations (cloak, face, head, at least one of any wielded weapons) and maybe some probabilistic subsample of 2 or 3 of the most expensive or magickal items on their person.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I don't like it when people treat 'Look' as if you're staring someone down for a police line-up.

If I don't use the look command, I don't know if the guy sitting across from me at dinner is naked, on fire, or wearing a big gold chain around his neck.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rather than making look a hemote, it'd be cool if another command, glance, or something like that, gave you just their mdesc and sdesc, and maybe noticeable equipment (Magickal stuff, cloak, boots). It's tricky (Who decides what's noticeable?) so maybe it's just a rabbit hole best not delved into.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

December 10, 2014, 05:58:36 PM #6 Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:21:11 PM by Beethoven
Quote from: HavokBlueI don't like it when people treat 'Look' as if you're staring someone down for a police line-up.

One of my PCs got beaten to a pulp for using the 'look' command in a tavern. I agree that it's BS to freak out about it.

EDIT: Fixed so that I am not misquoting you.

One of my PCs was killed for using the look command no joke
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Yuh lookin' at me cross-eyed, boyo? Nobody looks at me cross-eyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on December 10, 2014, 05:48:23 PM
I don't like it when people treat 'Look' as if you're staring someone down for a police line-up.

If I don't use the look command, I don't know if the guy sitting across from me at dinner is naked, on fire, or wearing a big gold chain around his neck.

Command emote your look into a glance?  Not that I'm saying you should have to, but I've never had anyone get all confrontational when I do this.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Look Roguegunslinger (cross-eyed)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Another option would be to append the <look> helpfile to explain that the "lookee" should not take particular offense or even much notice of the fact that someone is looking UNLESS the look command is accompanied by an emote or embedded emote (such as look talia (squinting) or look amos [and waves]).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 10, 2014, 07:32:40 PM
Another option would be to append the <look> helpfile to explain that the "lookee" should not take particular offense or even much notice of the fact that someone is looking UNLESS the look command is accompanied by an emote or embedded emote (such as look talia (squinting) or look amos [and waves]).

look RGS (pointing with a sharpened stick, running a finger of his other hand acrossed his neck)

Oh that?! Don't mind that. Just a look.
21sters Unite!

The husky, dark-haired man looks at you.

The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Look as a hemote: yes please.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

draw bow

change hands ep es

pull quiver

shoot bleakone south

There's nobody like that in range.

you fumble your arrow and shoot yourself in the face