buy #443 for amos

Started by Majikal, December 07, 2014, 02:33:00 AM

Just thinking of all the spam that goes into place when buying drinks for people at the bar, or when buying gear for someone.

What if you could use a 'for' command in order to have the product given to selected target? If armor, having it sized for them instead of you accordingly. Would just be a neat function imo.

buy #32 for amos
You give the drink-mixing bartender dude 42 obsidian coins for a silver goblet for the tall, muscular man.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

So glad I read the post. The thread title at first made me thing, what does this actually add to the game, but I agree it could cut several lines of spam down in a bar setting, and would be nice for the armor sizing and such but ... Could you just give someone the coins at that point too?
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on December 07, 2014, 02:40:47 AM
So glad I read the post. The thread title at first made me thing, what does this actually add to the game, but I agree it could cut several lines of spam down in a bar setting, and would be nice for the armor sizing and such but ... Could you just give someone the coins at that point too?

You could do the same with drinks - just give each person 11 sids to codedly acquire their own mug of ale.

It's still trying to RP something smoothly but having to deal with an unsmooth code sequence. I should be able to tell the merchant, "Hey see that one over there that's really long and tapered? Grab that one for my elf pal over here, it's for him" and exchange the coins to the merchant with the elf receiving the elf-sized garment. In an ideal coded situation, I wouldn't have to tell the merchant I want an elf-sized garment for my friend who's standing next to me, take possession of the garment, and then give it to the elf, who is in arm's reach of the merchant.

Same goes for drinks. Especially for drinks. The whole "you pick up an empty ale mug from the bar" is just so old and tired. If buying drinks for other people worked like the kruth-card "deal" command that'd be awesome. Have enough coins in your hand, accept no haggling, and type:

buy #7 me me amos malik talia hardnose kayla kyla keera kylie kalie kalya

And the bartender takes the sids and gives the mugs directly to those people.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Completely against this idea!

This really is a no brainer - if PCs know on an OOC level that their drinks are directly codedly delivered to them, untainted by human touch, there will be no skirmish.

I'm not gonna elaborate further on this - people who know what I'm talking about will understand the connotations.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on December 10, 2014, 04:54:31 AM
Completely against this idea!

This really is a no brainer - if PCs know on an OOC level that their drinks are directly codedly delivered to them, untainted by human touch, there will be no skirmish.

I'm not gonna elaborate further on this - people who know what I'm talking about will understand the connotations.

That's such a miniscule problem that could easily be worked around.

Steal/plant
Buy drinks before they show up.
Do it the oldschool way anyways. (don't have to use the code)

And there should be an option to do this for characters ingame who are paranoid about exactly what you're talking about. Currently they have to risk it.

then fuckin' risk it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Of course - there HAS to be a risk, otherwise there's no fun!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

The only reason there's a risk currently, is because the code doesn't take logic, practicality, and playability into consideration. It isn't coded for the purpose of imposing risk. It's coded because the coder who created the code didn't take into consideration the possibility that one guy might want to tell the bartender that he's buying the round for the bar.

It makes sense (is logical), saves spam (is practical), takes less time and appears more smoothly roleplayed (is playable) for one guy to tell the bartender that he's buying around, and have the bartender (or virtual server if they're at a table and not the bar) pass the mugs out to the chosen characters. By targetting someone, you're also ensuring that you are paying full price and not haggling down (since the code also has that "buy #4 human" built into it and they'd likely use that same code to accommodate specific characters).

In a shop, it might not make so much sense because if you're buying a gown for Talia, and the gown is too big for Talia, then you'd have to pay full price to buy it for her at the correct size (that's how the code is now). If you want to haggle you'd have to do it old-school and barter down for yourself, and take whatever size the shopkeeper gives you.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I can't believe this is actually an issue.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on December 10, 2014, 01:18:42 PM

What the hell are you talking about? It's not an issue, it's a code idea that has some merit. Why do you have such a problem with it? You're coming off like a cranky old person irrationally stubborn to change right now.

Hah, that's a lot to take away from eight words, RGS.

It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

~Jack Vance~

It... It isn't a big deal. The only person making it a big deal is you.

?

I didn't know it was a big deal to call an idea on the GDB not a big deal.

Catch 22.

~Jack Vance~

You didn't JUST say this wasn't a big deal, you said:

Quote from: Reiloth on December 10, 2014, 05:27:41 AM
then fuckin' risk it.

Like it had anything at all to do with the code suggestion itself.

And then:

Quote from: Reiloth on December 10, 2014, 01:18:42 PM

Like people were making a  huge issue out of things, when they weren't.

So yeah, I'd say you're making a big deal out of nothing.

I feel like you play too much Mafia...

~Jack Vance~

It definitely rubs off on me and makes me argumentative.

To add to that. You should be able to buy everyone  a drink. 

Shouting, holding up a gith skull mug, the figure in a dark hooded cloak exclaims in rinthi accented sirihish, "Drinks are on the house."

Buy #2 for all.patrons
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!