Shopping for newbies

Started by Vadun, November 14, 2014, 04:07:55 PM

Hello All,

I've gotten around to making my third PC, and this one I plan on actually interacting with people and not getting murdered horribly.

My biggest problem at the moment seems to be spending all my money at shops buying things I don't actually mean to, or buying things that aren't exactly what I expected.

How do I go about selling these back to a junk shop, is there even such a thing in Tuluk?  I'm broke as hell and Clay Gathering doesn't seem to be helping much

Offer Item (This will offer the item to the shop keeper in the room.)

Barter (This will make you accept their offer.)

Some shop keepers won't buy certain things. This sometimes includes things they sold you themselves.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Thank you.  I was a bit confused as the sell command wasn't working at all, but the offer command seems to be

I've been playing for two and a half years and still find myself referencing the help files for how to sell or tailor something.

QuoteMy biggest problem at the moment seems to be spending all my money at shops buying things I don't actually mean to, or buying things that aren't exactly what I expected.

I wonder if we can't lend some help with the initial problem, as well. Are you familiar with the ">view #" and ">buy #" commands? You've probably noticed that the list of items in a shop all have a number. If you ">view #(item number)" it'll give you the item's description, where it can be worn, what it might do. If you ">buy #(item number)" it will purchase that exact item. It'll save you from having to muck about with keywords and not worry about buying a swordbelt when you actually wanted to buy a sword. The only thing to watch out for is that if an item is bought out, the list of numbers will change to reflect this (i.e. everything below that item moves up a space).

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Shops

Good luck!

I saw the title of this thread and thought 'Wallmart are selling geeks now?'

If you're on your third PC, there's no longer any hope of escape, welcome to Crackagddon!

I think it's a good idea to remember that the starting coin isn't always enough to deck your PC out the way you want, but more to allow you to pick up a few pieces that'll help you achieve what you want to do while gathering the rest.

it's also important to remember that even the longest going players often have to refer to the helpfiles for basic things too, I have to re-read the prompt helpfile everytime I start a new PC.

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Tool bag? Check.
Shovel? Check.
Wide-brimmed leather hat? Check.

Then I usually assemble the rest of my gear from things found in shops or another character's (living or dead) inventory outside the chargen shop. You may wish to buy a belt as well.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

A little thing I always do is type "list' before I buy anything, and I always do "buy #<xx>" to buy what I want, after I "view #<xx>" to make damn sure it's what I want. This should help you not buy things you don't want.

A bartender gave my character an empty tankard earlier today.  Is that normal?

Quote from: Vadun on November 15, 2014, 04:53:43 PM

It's because all you ingrates don't pay a little extra. Vennant works for tips, you know?

I can think of a couple reasons that might happen, but it would be hard to diagnose without going into enough detail that your character would be de-anonymized.

In general, I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get a better handle of the gameplay mechanics.  Maybe you'll figure it out retrospectively.

If it happens again, you might roleplay that your character got a leaky tankard or spilled his drink or something.  If every tankard you buy from that bartender from now on is empty, it's worth reporting with "typo bartender This guy is selling me empty tankards"
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Was he an elf?  Cause then... maybe.  ;)
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on November 15, 2014, 05:50:08 PM

Was he an elf?  Cause then... maybe.  ;)

Na, then you'd get cleaning fluid, or shitmugged.

On a serious note, was this the first mug you've bought from him? You might have been trying to drink from an empty one that had a higher "ranking" than the full one. I remember buying someone a drink and then accidentally giving them a mug I'd already finished.