newbie warrior

Started by Zadok, November 07, 2014, 11:02:55 AM

Hello all just joined a little while ago and i i was approved making a warrior
how do enlist in the bryn, legion (north) or any other armed force i wanna get better at RPing
and i love!! the setting.

Quote from: Zadok on November 07, 2014, 11:02:55 AM
Hello all just joined a little while ago and i i was approved making a warrior
how do enlist in the bryn, legion (north) or any other armed force i wanna get better at RPing
and i love!! the setting.

Find out all of these things IC. Maybe ask around in places where people might logically gather?

Please, for the love of god, don't just throw out a Find out IC out because it seems 'the right thing to do'

Zadok, ask about in Bars, look at Notice boards 'l board' 'read board #'. There should be a post somewhere about the Tazi 'Byn, and who you should speak to to join, just remember, not everyone plays the same time as you, and you may be waiting a while to find the person your looking for!

Peak times are usually between 6 and midnight server, which is GMT +5 if I remember correctly, so you'll probably have a better chance of finding whoever your looking for between those times, however, it's not guaranteed!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Server is GMT-5. Kol is right regardless.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Remember that the boards in taverns are OOC constructs and you shouldn't RP that you're 'reading' them. Perhaps try and treat them like a gossip mongering drunkard at the bar, or whatever you want to that effect.

But yeah, those rumor boards will be your best help. In Allanak you may want to try sitting in the Gaj and Gladiator tavern to try and meet some rough and tumble types. In Tuluk you'll want to sit in the Blue Vestric tavern (or perhaps the Tembo's Tooth depending on your level of seedyness) to meet some interesting new bloodletters.

The T'zai Byn is a clan I highly recommend to all new players because it tends to get a whole run of fun and it's easy to learn your way around in it. Be aware that the Byn is not a lifetime job for most, and that you have to pay 300 coins to join for your first year. If you manage to survive through that year of rigorous training and death, most other combat clans would love to hire you right on. (A IG year is approx 5 weeks.)

That said, if you wanted to join the Legion or the Arm of the Dragon and be with your city state right off the bat, that can also lead to some fun. Try looking for your local sergeant or templar.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

November 07, 2014, 01:19:10 PM #5 Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:35:08 PM by Drone
Quote from: Kol on November 07, 2014, 11:29:55 AM
Please, for the love of god, don't just throw out a Find out IC out because it seems 'the right thing to do'

Edit: blah, I just woke up and am cranky, it's not worth me getting worked up over my not being informative enough.

The Byn are pretty highly recommended by most people as the best "starter" guild for your character to be in if you're a fighting type. Not only will playing with a core group of people (regardless of what clan it's in, really) help you to get used to game concepts and enforced RP muds like Armageddon, but the Byn specifically will give your character the practical training necessary to help keep you alive. A lot of clans will send their characters off on a tour of service with the Byns for that specific purpose: basically sending their people to boot camp.

If you're unable to afford the 300 sid for joining the Byn, it's also possible that one of the GMH's (shorthand for Great Merchant Houses -- Kadius, Salarr, Kurac) will sponsor you into the Byns on the assumption that you will join them after your tour of duty as a Byn soldier is over.

I find the Byn is a good place to interact with PCs of varying races and come to understand the kinds of things that are expected of them, while providing a very up-front example of the kind of grit that a lot of people are looking for in the game. Always remember to keep OOC knowledge separate from IC knowledge, that will help a lot, so say, if your PC falls in a pit, or ticks off a master assassin, your next PC doesn't enter the game racing for the loot, or with any knowledge of the crime that killed your last PC, and you'll have a lot of fun. OOC grudges are a bad idea, don't do it. I like the warrior class the most because it's the easiest for me to get in the game and stand a chance of surviving numerous silly things the game throws at me without a whole lot of thinking about it. I'd definitely go for the Byn, I did with my first PC that lived longer that 3 hours, and I was quite impressed with how much it taught me.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

The other thing about the Byn is it invariably has hardcore veterans playing in it, who not only can show you the ropes via OOC and leading by example, but can really exemplify the documentation through their characters, giving you a jumpstart in the game.

This can happen in other clans, but i've almost always seen veterans in the Byn when i've played there, that can be inspiring to new players just starting out.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on November 11, 2014, 03:47:22 AM
The other thing about the Byn is it invariably has hardcore veterans playing in it, who not only can show you the ropes via OOC and leading by example, but can really exemplify the documentation through their characters, giving you a jumpstart in the game.

This can happen in other clans, but i've almost always seen veterans in the Byn when i've played there, that can be inspiring to new players just starting out.

This is true, the flip side of the coin is there can actually be bad examples, which aren't necessarily the fault of the player, perhaps the PC developed that way or has some kind of background element, but, if taken too seriously and uncontested, can actually echo a long time with a bunch of impressionable newbies. And yes, I know I'm guilty, stop looking at me like that. :D
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I think it is worth mentioning that not all characters are guaranteed to be able to get into the Byn.  It is a great clan for newbies, but I believe it hasn't been 100% accepting of them IG for a while now (hopefully it is understood this is purely OOC information; IC I'm sure they're accepting 'virtual newbies' left and right).

My understanding is that other clans are more or less similar in how they support newbie characters, so maybe our newbie warrior should look for any employment in ANY clan. 

Seriously, take the first official offer you can get. :)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"