In Game Time

Started by slvrmoontiger, October 28, 2014, 12:02:47 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else has asked this or thought about it before. Personally, I think that whole amount of time one day takes 1.5 hours RL is too short. For those in clans that have schedules this makes RPing with other people outside the clan difficult. Last clan I was in that had a schedule I felt like as soon as I sat down and started talking to someone in a tavern it was time to run back for training. I know different MUDs take different stances on In Game time. Some MUDs have 1 RL day = 1 IG day. I don't think that would be very effective for Armageddon, but I think something longer would be better. Maybe make one IG day = 3 or 4 RL Hours. Just a thought. Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on this?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Doubling the length of the day would mean doubling the length of time it takes for a year to go by, no? That or you'd have to shorten the number of days in a year. It's an interesting idea. I wouldn't want night time to go by any slower, and this would make those leave days where nothing is going on doubly annoying.

Hmm.

No. Then you end up traveling across the world in a morning. It would be great for RP events, and make sense, but honestly, unless travel became way harder, or the world was stretch about four times the size it is now, no.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 28, 2014, 12:10:42 AM
Doubling the length of the day would mean doubling the length of time it takes for a year to go by, no? That or you'd have to shorten the number of days in a year. It's an interesting idea. I wouldn't want night time to go by any slower, and this would make those leave days where nothing is going on doubly annoying.

Hmm.

Actually, night time being longer would allow for more out-of-clan RP. Making the day time longer and not the night time wouldn't help with that. Again, this was an idea to lengthen the time that clan members with schedules can spend RPing with people that aren't in the clan. Not extend training times or clan RP. I just find it hard to be in a clan a lot because I don't have much time to play and when I do I don't want to be training all the time and that's what it boiled down to for me. I know others have felt the same way in the past. This puts a huge damper in RPing relationships as well with clan based characters. It's also quite unrealistic when you get into romantic relationships by the time you know it half a day or more is gone and you barely even realized it. I'm just making a suggestion to put more realism into the game. People should have a life outside of their clan.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Suspension of disbelief is your friend.

Or maybe you should mudsex less.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read:

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 28, 2014, 12:31:37 AM
....It's also quite unrealistic when you get into romantic relationships by the time you know it half a day or more is gone and you barely even realized it...

And thought:
Quote from: HavokBlue on November 02, 2014, 07:57:04 AM
Or maybe you should mudsex less.

:D

It can be a bit frustrating sometimes, to squeeze non-clan socializing into the short bit of time your character has during their non-training hours.  But there are leave days for that sort of thing and I think it's realistic that if you're in a combat-oriented clan, the bulk of your time will be spent training and hanging around with your other clannies who are grumbling IG as well about the rigid schedule.
I like the time as it is.  I would hate to have the length of the night doubled.  Think how horrible that would be for all those times when travellers are stopped somewhere for the night making camp.  Or when you miss the gates and you have to wait until dawn to get inside.  Now if you miss the gates or stop travelling for the night (which I think is realistic), you have about thirty minutes to wait.  Having to sit around for an hour RL would be pretty annoying.

I just find it hard to be in a clan a lot because I don't have much time to play and when I do I don't want to be training all the time and that's what it boiled down to for me.

That's certainly a valid point, though an easy fix for that would be to avoid playing in clans that have such a restrictive schedule.  As my own playing times waxed and waned, I've also had the opposite issue - when I do have time to log in it's during a weekend.  IMHO, the point of joining a clan with a strict schedule is because you want to roleplay being in that organization.  If they have two-day weekends, that's about three hours of time spent not being in that role, not training or working or necessarily building relationships with other people in the clan.

I'm just making a suggestion to put more realism into the game. People should have a life outside of their clan.

In a world where many organizations require life oaths of service, a vast pool of commoners clamoring for a job in a lucrative House, slavery, rampant disease and starvation...

Would a healthy work/life balance really be an employer's main concern?

This puts a huge damper in RPing relationships as well with clan based characters. It's also quite unrealistic when you get into romantic relationships by the time you know it half a day or more is gone and you barely even realized it.

"My sweet, I could spend all day just looking into your eyes."
[1.5 RL hours later]
"See, babe?  Totally did just that."

I've certain ran into the crap there isn't enough time. But most the time for me certain things like nights or leave days last too long.

You combine off peak play or lower clan numbers or restricted play time with longer days and nights, I could forsee being in a clan almost worthless except from a virtual "I have a job" and food and water, from my point of few. Sometimes it's a struggle as it is now.

I normally join clans for clan play, to help me get a foot into the game on multiple levels. I wouldn't be a fan of changing much the time front.
21sters Unite!

That's all part of the problem. Most of the time leave days tend to fall on times that are off-peak. I've been in clans where you were forced on a mission or training or something of the sort on leave days that were during prime time. If more time was given for nights then this would balance out for peak and off-peak times. It was just a thought. I doubt this would ever change.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on November 02, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
That's all part of the problem. Most of the time leave days tend to fall on times that are off-peak.

To be fair, there are fewer leave days than work days, and there is more off-peak time than on-peak time.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Leave it as it is. The lore expands by the passing of the years. If we wanted, we could simply imagine we're on a different planet where days pass by faster than normal. Therefore, a person have be awake for three days without being tired. If planets closer to the sun were habitable, it'd be like that.

Quote from: Nyr on November 02, 2014, 02:10:24 PM
That's all part of the problem. Most of the time leave days tend to fall on times that are off-peak.

To be fair, there are fewer leave days than work days, and there is more off-peak time than on-peak time.

Thank you for confirming this Nyr. Do you see any ways of making it a little more even, without sacrificing times for clan training?

I think if you have IC problems with your IC schedule you should handle it ICly.

"Sarge, I'll pull double latrine duty for a month if you let me skip this round of training to go mudsex my halfbreed whiran lover"
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on November 02, 2014, 05:56:24 PM

Thank you for confirming this Nyr. Do you see any ways of making it a little more even, without sacrificing times for clan training?

Don't play in clans, only play at peak hours.  *sagenod*
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on November 02, 2014, 09:04:51 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on November 02, 2014, 05:56:24 PM

Don't play in clans, only play at peak hours.  *sagenod*

I lolled so hard I squirted.

Through my nose. With juice. You pervs.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I don't know the documentation of every clan with a military schedule component, but I think it's pretty much just the Byn, the militias, and maybe sometimes Kurac if they haven't changed in the last four years? If you want a more lax military option Kadius and Salarr both hire combat characters with less restrictions on how you handle your training, and I don't even think noble houses have schedules anymore.

I don't think noble houses really do combat characters right now? I mean, unless your warrior has a subguild with listen and you can moonlight as an aide.

Be the change you want to see.

You need to form a worker's rights group in game and push the current power structures to allow more time off for their employees.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'm not sure why this point wasn't actually contested.

An Armageddon day lasts 90 minutes.  That means in an Earth day (24 hours), there will be 16 Armageddon days.  Meanwhile, the Zalanthan week is only 11 days.  So every Earth day, the Zalanthan weekday shifts back 5 days (or 7.5 hours) compared to the Earth clock.  So if Barani morning falls 8:40 PM server time one day, the next day it'll be 1:10 PM, then 5:40 AM after, then 10:10 PM, then 2:40 PM, then 7:10 AM, and so on.

The RL times that a Zalanthan weekday occurs on is not fixed, and you're guaranteed to get a weekend within your playtimes eventually.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 03, 2014, 11:42:31 AM

I'm not sure why this point wasn't actually contested.

An Armageddon day lasts 90 minutes.  That means in an Earth day (24 hours), there will be 16 Armageddon days.  Meanwhile, the Zalanthan week is only 11 days.  So every Earth day, the Zalanthan weekday shifts back 5 days (or 7.5 hours) compared to the Earth clock.  So if Barani morning falls 8:40 PM server time one day, the next day it'll be 1:10 PM, then 5:40 AM after, then 10:10 PM, then 2:40 PM, then 7:10 AM, and so on.

The RL times that a Zalanthan weekday occurs on is not fixed, and you're guaranteed to get a weekend within your playtimes eventually.

I went for the low-hanging statisticals.  If there are very few leave days (1-2 per IC week) and peak is short (even if we say 6 hours per RL day), then it does stand to reason that leave days will (more often than not) fall on off-peak time.  There's more of it.

barrier is your friend, for avoiding those nosey higherups trying to get you to follow their "schedule." And if barrier isn't working for you, stop playing such low-wisdom patsies and start playing more devious social engineers. Sounds like you're ready for it. :)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I wince at the use of barrier to dodge chores because you're essentially using an IC tool to convince someone you're OOCly unavailable.

Well, you're trying to be ICly unavailable too so it evens out.

Just don't bitch on the clan boards when you get caught.

Quote from: Nyr on November 03, 2014, 11:49:27 AMI went for the low-hanging statisticals.  If there are very few leave days (1-2 per IC week) and peak is short (even if we say 6 hours per RL day), then it does stand to reason that leave days will (more often than not) fall on off-peak time.  There's more of it.

Oh.  Yeah, I guess that is actually true.   :D