Discussion of Tribal roles

Started by Adhira, October 26, 2014, 04:12:53 PM

Quote from: Zoan on October 27, 2014, 03:53:03 AM
So tribes can't 'recruit'. What stops me from, say, my family deciding to take on hirelings to do their greb work, and paying them to do so? I don't understand why any single person, let alone a tribe or family, couldn't do this. It's not like 'tribes' are actual coded communities anyway in this circumstance.

You can have a tribe, but if someone wants to join your tribe in-game, the answer you need to give them is NO TRIBES
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

So tribes can't 'recruit'. What stops me from, say, my family deciding to take on hirelings to do their greb work, and paying them to do so? I don't understand why any single person, let alone a tribe or family, couldn't do this. It's not like 'tribes' are actual coded communities anyway in this circumstance.

But they would not be a member of your tribe. They would not be trusted the same way your tribesmates were. You wouldn't have the Tribal bond that is essential to elven play. They would just be employee's, or hired help. That shhould take a ton of tests of loyalty and competence over years of time.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 27, 2014, 05:48:42 AM

But they would not be a member of your tribe. They would not be trusted the same way your tribesmates were. You wouldn't have the Tribal bond that is essential to elven play. They would just be employee's, or hired help. That shhould take a ton of tests of loyalty and competence over years of time.

2 caveats

1. It might not be an elven tribe, they could be humans or dwarves

2. what you described is exactly how the two city-elven tribes worked when they were open
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

im gonna make a sorcerer tribe. 4 paths bitches

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 27, 2014, 04:51:48 AM
You can have a tribe, but if someone wants to join your tribe in-game, the answer you need to give them is NO TRIBES

The answer you need to give them is an IC one.  An IC "no," not an OOC "sorry I can't recruit you because staff said we could not recruit people into tribes."  The IC no absolutely should be an IC no.  X person is not a member of your tribe because they are culturally different, they have not grown up in the tribe and learned its history, they cannot trace their lineage (however it is traced), their blood is inferior, they are not "us".  Forget what Akai Sjir and Jaxa Pah did or were.  The majority of other tribes in-game are quite different from this--they do not recruit outsiders.  Any cases in which outsiders are brought in by tribes are notable exceptions.  Tribes that recruit (and I mean recruit in the simple manner of clanning them because they want to join and you figure...why not...not recruit in the complex "exception" manner from the previous sentence) are a cultural aberration in Zalanthas.

Elves are weird in that they are fanatical about trust and loyalty.  The rest of their beliefs about tribe being paramount should be true for the majority of tribes composed of any race.

With that said, yes--there is an OOC element to this on top of the legitimate IC element mentioned above.  That element is simple as well:  players have abused this before.  It is now a rule, preventing that abuse and also providing more IC structure for what a tribe "is."

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 27, 2014, 05:59:29 AM
2. what you described is exactly how the two city-elven tribes worked when they were open

What was describes is what the two city-elven tribes did when they were open.  Previous discussion (here and here) has proven to staff (at least) that the things these tribes did didn't necessarily mean they worked.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I love this change so so much.

I remember back in 2010 or so I knew someone with a city elf family that its member PCs referred to as a tribe.

Now I can see that in 2014 we are finally returning to this very excellent way of doing things.

The rules that city elf families couldn't call themselves a tribe was pretty silly, I'm glad that's out the window.

Huzzah!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The difference between a tribe/family and a clan is like this:

Let's assume I work for a very large company that is actually privately owned by a single family. Everyone who works in this company knows who the bosses are, that they are family, and that the rest of us--no matter how trusted--are not family. We are not the tribe, we are employees. No matter how useless or dumb one of the family members is, they are family. The family has a hierarchy, but people in the family get to skip through the hierarchy of the company, that is if they even do their "job" at all (some of them just appear to have titles and don't do much). Family members don't get fired. They get preference and special treatment that the employees just don't get and will never get.

Occasionally someone marries in from the company to the family, maybe? I'm not even sure if that's true. Doesn't matter, they're pretty much a VNPC to me anyway. For 99.9% of people who work for this company, we will only ever be employees. We will never, ever be family.

That's what a tribe is. Even if the tribe uses outsiders and treats them very nicely, outsiders are still outsiders.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Case on October 27, 2014, 08:31:09 AM
im gonna make a sorcerer tribe. 4 paths bitches
been done
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Hi,

A couple questions from reading the tribal role helpfile.  I think this
could be a lot of fun!  These are just matters of clarification...

You must be creating either a family, related by blood and all of the same
race, or a tribe who have a common race, culture, background and history.

Is there a difference between "same race" and "common race"?  Could a
tribe of elves (or humans) also include a breed?  Could a family of elves
(or humans) also include a breed?

'Clans' cannot be created in this way (ie you may not create a 'Merchant
Clan'). Even if it's a clan that cannot recruit IC, no. Contact your clan
staff if you feel that your clan needs more players.

I think, maybe, I get what this means, but it isn't very clear (to me, and
certainly not to me like a year ago).

What is a Merchant Clan?  (Small pet peeve: should be 'e.g.' not 'ie'.)

What do you mean by a 'Clan' in this context?  Do you just mean that the family
must be a family and the tribe must be a tribe, as defined in the first
paragraph?

The 'contact your clan staff...' line seems out of place.  If you are using this to 'create a clan' (- I'm still not sure what
that means -), why would you think your clan needs more players?

Anyway, I'm pretty confused about this paragraph,
so perhaps it could be clarified, either in the helpfile or out here.

Also, sorta related, I assume there's no "staff" for a family/tribe, each member
would be staffed wherever they end up, e.g., if dad took a job with Salarr
and mom took a job with Oash, then the staff for dad would be Salarr (or
GMH?) and mom would be whatever staff handles Oash.  Or would there be a
common staff for the whole tribe/family?

Finally, would it be at all possible to have "sample" tribes/families listed,
that is a sample "proposal" that someone has submitted?  - Not necessarily
to plagiarise but just to get an idea of what an application actually looks like.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I think it was mentioned that breeds are the ONLY exception to the common race/same race thing, HOWEVER that doesn't mean you would love your breedy counterpart unconditionally.

Quote from: nauta on October 27, 2014, 11:14:53 AM
Hi,

A couple questions from reading the tribal role helpfile.  I think this
could be a lot of fun!  These are just matters of clarification...

You must be creating either a family, related by blood and all of the same
race, or a tribe who have a common race, culture, background and history.

Is there a difference between "same race" and "common race"?  Could a
tribe of elves (or humans) also include a breed?  Could a family of elves
(or humans) also include a breed?

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Family%20and%20Tribal%20RolesThe only exception to race is for half-elves (this is not carte blanche for loving half-elf family applications).

Personally, I would prefer not to see a tribe with a breed in it.  We might change this to say that it is only for families.

QuoteWhat is a Merchant Clan?

What do you mean by a 'Clan' in this context?  Do you just mean that the family
must be a family and the tribe must be a tribe, as defined in the first
paragraph?

A clan in this sense is an organization that can indeed recruit in-game.  Salarr, Kadius, noble houses, the various militias.  Your tribe/family cannot do so and will not be this, so it is not that.  This is reinforcement of that notion.

The 'contact your clan staff...' line seems out of place.  If you are using this to 'create a clan' (- I'm still not sure what
that means -), why would you think your clan needs more players?

It is essentially what was here and in the old helpfile:

QuoteThis must be a family role.  No tribes.  No clans.  Even if it's a clan that cannot recruit IC, no.  Contact your clan staff if you feel that your clan needs more players.

It can be reworded for the new documentation. To elaborate, the point here is that you cannot recruit on the GDB in player announcements for the clan that your PC is playing in, period; this has been the rule for some time but it is being reinforced here.

QuoteAlso, sorta related, I assume there's no "staff" for a family/tribe, each member
would be staffed wherever they end up, e.g., if dad took a job with Salarr
and mom took a job with Oash, then the staff for dad would be Salarr (or
GMH?) and mom would be whatever staff handles Oash.  Or would there be a
common staff for the whole tribe/family?

It is individual.  Contact your clan staff.  Regardless of what you play or where you are playing, you have clan staff.  Contact them.

Finally, would it be at all possible to have "sample" tribes/families listed,
that is a sample "proposal" that someone has submitted?  - Not necessarily
to plagiarise but just to get an idea of what an application actually looks like.

Possibly in the future, but for now, we do not have an example for tribes.  Families are quite simple, though.  "I have a family.  There are 4 members.  We are all brothers.  Here are their names.  We had a sister but she died, and there might be a cousin in there somewhere but none of us like her.  We live in Allanak, our mother and father did these jobs in general."  Hopefully you get the idea.  It can be more complex but it needs to provide the information requested.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

In a word: Awesome!

In a few more words: This is definitely an inspiring policy change, and I hope that works out well in the long-term. While I imagine the application process will be (and should be) quite strict for something like this, I think the game will benefit from the individuals that put this to good use.

The massive wave of change and energy from staff is impressive, keep it up! :)
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

I definitely approve of this change.  It makes a lot more sense than the old interpretation of the rule (which really seemed more like a stopgap, and probably actually was).  Yay for being able to create a city-elf family that isn't self-contradictory!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Maybe I'm missing it but why is it that staff doesn't want the players to have the power to make a long lasting / new tribe with lasting power and able to overtake established tribes. I mean from the ground up growth and player driven?

Quote from: Nyr on October 26, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on October 26, 2014, 05:13:29 PM
I think it's a shame to be constantly be re-inventing the wheel with these small tribes. It'd be nice if those that were exceptionally well written, interesting, or successful could be saved in some format to be used again.

If someone comes up with an exceptionally well-written, interesting, or successful tribe filled out with the (up to) four PCs in it...and they demonstrate that to both staff and the rest of the playerbase over a reasonable period of time...it may well be a possibility.  But until then (and including after then), any playable tribe options will be vetted by staff.

Does this answer your question?

I agree completely with the limitations. These are needed for some reasons that I can currently think of: 1) If anyone could create a long-lasting tribe, the problem would be that perhaps they aren't able to actually roleplay the LORE and move it forward. There is no ensurance that they will actually add something to the game. If all tribes move in different directions (lore and RP wise), it can really affect the game. 2) If anyone could simply go ahead and say, on skype: "hey, archive your PC, let's form a tribe IG, get more people", not only is it really -bad- for the game to have all this stuff going on, but it also will affect the other real, long-lasting, supported tribes, and reduce the number of members they have.

I agree with the idea, but I think that, as said by Nyr, if a tribe is showing excellent performance, it could get supported. But, until then, they should simply limit to four PCs, which is a lot.

Quote from: timber on November 01, 2014, 03:47:51 PM
Maybe I'm missing it but why is it that staff doesn't want the players to have the power to make a long lasting / new tribe with lasting power and able to overtake established tribes. I mean from the ground up growth and player driven?
It could have a detrimental effect on the setting if a tribe with tradition gender roles and a happy-go-lucky attitude regarding magick who are just huge fans of racial equality gets a lot of traction that would allow them to wipe out or overtake tribes/the powers that be that currently enforce the setting.