Resources and Survival

Started by CodeMaster, October 22, 2014, 02:43:47 AM

I just want to chime in and say one thing I really love that has happened "recently" is that a lot of the special order items people always request from certain Houses are now being crafted by actual PC's. In the past, you would place these orders knowing that the merchant PC's were just submitting the request to staff to have the items loaded into the game from the virtual crafters.

Recently, I've noticed what appears to be A LOT more in the way of PC crafters and hunters having to gather and craft materials to fill those same orders for those same items.

I love this. The first time I was told, "Oh, hmmm, I think we are going to need some time to actually harvest the materials and send out our hunters.", I knew things were going in the right direction.

Great job on this change staff and I look forward to more items/crafts/orders going in this direction. It gives the crafters and the hunters/gatherers a lot more meaning in these clans.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Adhira on October 22, 2014, 12:59:12 PM

I will note that we recently changed some clans to have 'lesser resources' and it was met with some disappointment and objections by clan members. So this is a balancing act, and not one we're always going to get right, or get right for everybody. Mostly I just want to point out that discussion is great, go for it. Staff aren't locked into some dreamworld where we believe this game is perfect, or that our clan system is the best ever. We can and will change things over time.

I am very possibly mistaken, but in the instance I know about the problem was the thing that was changed , could no longer be used as an ingredient in two items, one they are required to make. (Again, I could be mistaken.

Quote from: nauta on October 22, 2014, 03:34:52 PM
Quote from: creeper386 on October 22, 2014, 03:31:25 PM
I always felt that a lot of struggle tended to come from where you are from or who you are more then anything. I play a character that's suitable for GMH or clanned life, life is easier. Play a delf or a rinther, lifes harder. Play anything in tuluk, pretty well set for life unless I do something stupid.

I think the problem comes in is having that struggle in a role that has a healthy amount of interaction. It's never fun to play a rinther during a time everyone is employed with noble houses as an example.

Actually, life is pretty easy for the average rinther: there's ways (without skills) to haul in some good cash in the narrows over time.   (I'm on the side of those who would like to see this "fixed" so things are a little harsher, however that happens.)

Yeah. I could probably see that, but it's certainly not as easy. Or perhaps I'm just not as wise. It's been a LONG time since I've been in the 'rinth. But my point is I think there should be places to subsist fairly comfortably. I don't always want to spend all my time logged in worrying about how to keep my character fed and watered. Including the player base as well. If the player base builds up, I think it opens up more options for the struggle to survive and still have interaction.
21sters Unite!

October 22, 2014, 06:37:26 PM #28 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:47:55 PM by Molten Heart
House life is far from harsh.  This is when the struggle to survive ends and the struggle for overlapping playtimes with clan mates begins.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Also, it'd be good if more clans weren't typical "jobs" with the typical clan structure but maybe there are we just have to find out IC.

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on October 22, 2014, 06:53:04 PM
Also, it'd be good if more clans weren't typical "jobs" with the typical clan structure but maybe there are we just have to find out IC.

Do you have an example?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

October 22, 2014, 07:09:02 PM #31 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:13:59 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: Nyr on October 22, 2014, 06:59:55 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on October 22, 2014, 06:53:04 PM

Do you have an example?

The Rebellion and the Black Moon Raiders are two examples that aren't around anymore.  I suspect there are other IC criminal-type clans like this in game but won't mention them.  There are also clans like the Ajinn Academy and the Tor Academy where people that aren't "pledged" to be friends/allies can come together to fraternize.  I think there's one in Tuluk like this now too called the Levies (sp)?

-James Brown

I'm not sure if it really belongs here, but in many Ways very sad to see House Tor closed. I'd imagine I can see why, not good to have too many military organizations around. But I think in many ways Tor and the Academy was  good counterpoint for the Byn back when I was involved with it.

Back on topic, I agree that I'd like to see places outside of Tuluk and even Allanak be a little more ruthless. Rinth shouldn't be a blood bath or anything but it shouldn't involve much ways to make coin.
21sters Unite!

Clans all need to depend on hunters and grebbers for their food and water, whether VNPC, NPC or PC. I have been in clans that do not provide these resources for free, and even if they do, sometimes the water barrel is empty etc.

It would be good if somehow, more responsibility for providing the food and water were transferred to PCS, even if the items are free to clan members.  For instance the clan should have to come up with x amount of food and x amount of water per IC month. They could either have their own soldiers/mercenaries/hunters/grebbers bring it in, or they could contract out with Indie PCs. If the resources do not come in..no food and no water.

This would get combat types out into the wilds on a regular basis, and would also provide more markets and interaction for Indie PCs.

I have played in combat clans where the leadership made it a point to take their folks out into the wilds, regardless if they were city type PCs or those more suited for the wilds. I really appreciated this.  I think that a lot of the limitations on city bound combat types can be fixed in this manner, and I do not think it needs a lot of staff intervention to make it happen, other than perhaps a green light on their part.  It goes without saying that these clans need food and water, so unless there is a reason in the docs requiring them NOT to hunt or be out in the wilds, it is implicit that they can be and the docs need not be modified.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I have no desire to go out and kill NPC scrab #246 when I'm playing anything other than a hunter, and I have even less desire to ride out for a hunting spree if my character is soldier/mercenary/totalbadass. Hunting is fun. Playing a hunter has been some of the best times I've ever had in this game. But when I'm not playing a hunter, I generally want to spend my time doing things worthwhile and fun to the concept of my character and the gameworld.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

If I'm playing a city-based pc, generally the last fucking thing I want to do is go into the wastes and fall off my beetle 50 times/be thrown off by a storm/get roflstomped by any animal because I'm playing a friggin burglar, not a goddamn ranger.

That's why you avoid joining wilderness clans like that.

The Tor academy did most of it's own work. The stuff where Officer cadets would come together was very limited in terms of getting stuff done.

In fact I don't think the Academy Cadets ever did anything as a group other than rarerly train together.

The Tor Scorpions on the other hand, did a bunch of stuff together proactive to staff or player run plots as well as reactive.