NPC soldiers, sneak and hide

Started by Callisto, September 16, 2003, 10:12:58 PM

Is it possible to sneak past NPC soldiers when you're under a wanted flag?

Can you hide from them?

Just curious. Thanks.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

1.) No  (don't let anyone tell you differently.  If it works, you just got lucky in a code fart)

2.) Yes
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote1.) No (don't let anyone tell you differently. If it works, you just got lucky in a code fart)

Uhhh... if that's true, then I had about 30 code farts in a row once.

Perhaps the sneak code had a big bowl of code chili and some code corn bread, but imho, it's possible.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Unless it was put in recently, No, Sneak does not help.  I've experienced it many a time.

But yes, hide works.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Weird... like, really weird.
-Reiloth

Are you SURE that you were wanted when you tried to hide past a soldier?  The flag could have ended just when you tried to sneak past them.
Back from a long retirement

Yeah, without getting too IC, I was wanted (absolutely positive, because I did get caught later on) and I snuck/hide combo all the way from up near the top of the bazarr to under 4 spaces from the west gate, easily past at least 6 NPC guards.

I'm not silly or stubborn enough to state that it wasn't a fluke with this many people talking about it not being possible, but it did happen... that's one long string of coincidences, but odder things have happened.
-Reiloth

You can hide from NPC soldiers when flagged as a criminal, but you can't sneak past them.

The only way around this problem is to "shadow" a PC or NPC with the shadow command, which will allow you to sneak past soldiers by sneak-following someone else and remaining hidden all the while. The shadow command never actually rolls against your sneak skill as you travel through different rooms, so even if you shadow someone from the silt sea to Tuluk (or as far as your stamina will allow you to go), you are 100% guaranteed to remain hidden.

Why doesn't it check your sneak skill when you are sneaking? I don't know.

Just be careful not to follow them somewhere stupid.

Once, I had no idea I was being shadowed until I climbed out onto something, the unwary and just as unlucky shadower fell to their d00m when they failed their climb check, about five times I would guess.  8)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Is there a reason you can't sneak past them?

I believe it's a code issue, when you sneak into another room, your hiding goes away. Following this... NPCs don't react to "so and so arrives from the west" like most PCs would, but instead, NPCs just 'look' a lot. At least once a second from what I can tell/ have heard. So you can sneak in succesfully, unless you end up hidden before the movement lag wears off, you're nabbed. Same thing goes with auto-flee creatures and why you can't sneak up on them.

From what you're saying, seems like it would be easier to run past the guards than to sneak by them. Seems like all the npcs 'looking' a lot would be undesirable, and contribute to lag, but oh well.

They probably have brief mode on to reduce strain on system resources ::shrug::. All in all, I think it would be better to lengthen the amount of time between each 'look' and give NPCs like soldiers and auto-fleers a script to acknowledge entrance echoes.

Oh, something I thought of, if you hide in a room, a soldier enters, then you sneak -out- of the room, that should work, kinda... sneaking past them.

No .... they would automatically follow you into the other room and beat the living snot out of you.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Actually, none of the NPCs have 'brief' mode on, that I've seen. And neither should any of you ;)
Tlaloc
Legend

Wasn't brief removed for players sometime back? Or maybe there was just discussion of it...

Brief is alive and well.  I'll toggle it periodically when laggy or following someone with quickfeet or whatever..
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I saw a newbie with 'brief' mode on about a week ago. We all agreed that was possibly one of the worst things a newbie can do. With brief mode, you miss out on all of the great room descriptions - particularly some that might be incredibly helpful to your PC. So, newbies (and oldbies), take heed...avoid 'brief' mode if at all possible.

Of course, thats just my opinion.
Tlaloc
Legend

A long time ago I was going down caravan way and I decided to toggle brief cause it was a specialy laggy day, went west, then west again, Then I remembered that my char was in the byn and imagined what it would be like near the shield wall with brief on and turned it back off never to be toggled again.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

When it is laggy, I know the way and the lag may kill me, I turn it on. Otherwise I have it off cos you miss half the stuff.

And the blind who have the game read to them by their computers. Wasn't that AC's friend?

Quote from: "Thavilden"And the blind who have the game read to them by their computers. Wasn't that AC's friend?

I had a blind friend who was going to play but never found the time.  I believe his text-to-voice software was robust enough to not need brief and instead would only read certain lines.  At least that's what I vaguely recall him saying.

His reason for not playing was really funny though.  He said it looks too good.  If the game looked lame or if nothing else, shallow, he would have played because it wouldn't take up a lot of his time.

He's actually a busy fellow.  He was named the NFL Fan of the Year and got to go watch his favorite team *cough* The Patriots *cough* win the Super Bowl, -with- the team.  Ok, maybe watch isn't the right word...

He's too busy getting his black belt and having work done on his house to get heavily into a mud.