Playing with Fire

Started by deathkamon, October 15, 2014, 07:42:37 PM

October 15, 2014, 07:42:37 PM Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:33:11 PM by deathkamon
It seems a bit overpowered that only magick users can use fire. I think that the average citizen could make a good weapon out of something to make it flammable or much more deadly. A Molotov weapon should be added, where someone could craft one using a ragged cloth and some kind of strong drink with lots of alcohol in it. Also, the torches that one can wield should have the chance of doing fire damage when used against enemies. Someone can throw another person into a fire and they get burned, or someone can douse another in oil and light them on fire instead of having to go through a whole torture process. Someone can pour oil on a weapon blade to light it on fire with the chance of the wielder being burned by a flaming bit of oil falling on themselves (except for arrows). Thoughts?

Sounds like fun to me.  I'd expect the code to be implemented sometime around the year 2030, but I'm not in any hurry.
Murder your darlings.

This sounds like a realistic idea. I just have a problem with the phrasing of the OP. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that "Most magick users can use fire." This is not at all true. You might want to read through the help files on the different forms of 'gickers before using sentences like this.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I don't like it. My reasons against this are many, and not namely because I'm pretty sure I've seen this argument before, and didn't like it then. I did a quick search, but can't find the thread in question...I may need some Nyr fu on this one...

1) It subtracts from a guild already in the game, by giving those abilities to other guilds that already have plenty of ways they could (but shouldn't want to try) any finger wiggler, you want to set things on fire, app a Krathi, don't have the karma for it, use a special app.

2) It would, frankly, require a lot more coding on the staff side, to simply devalue a guild that already exists.

3) You should be wishing up before any torture scene anyway, so if you want to throw that stupid subordinate or crimminal into the fire, do so, I'm sure if a member of staff is watching, they'll be more than happy to toss a few echos out, and help set the scene accordingly with their Immfu.

4) AFAIK, you have a weapon IG already that gives you fire damage at your disposal. I may be wrong, but a Torch isn't just for lighting those places the sun won't tread.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I'm not personally interested in combat applications of fire damage... but I do like to burn things down. Any additional ways to do that will always get a +1 from me!

That said, if there was a coded way to burn stuff and people down, my life expectancy would drop exponentially along with the number of usable structures in game, so... I'm glad cooler, less fire-friendly minds make that decision.

Submit a clay-pot + lamp-oil molotov in the clay working submission call. Merchants and master clayworkers get firebombs!

I'm half serious!

For what it's worth, there are some things in the game that fire (mundane, every-day fire from a local source) can be VERY useful in saving your ass.  Find out IC.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

The tall, muscular man walks east.
The area is enveloped in darkness.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Because all MUDs are literally built on the framework of Zork.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

At night time fire is INCREDIBLY valuable for saving your ass because, let's face it, if you're on the silt sea in the dead of night, do you -really- want to risk trying to walk away from it without a fire?

The fire that mundanes use is already nice enough. We don't need fire weapons. Leave that to the damn abominationz.

It'd be cool if I could burn stuff down, but not so cool if people start burning my stuff down.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA