Absymal solo rp

Started by Saellyn, September 29, 2014, 12:50:53 PM

I have problems with solo RP. It's not that I can't do it, it's that I literally despise having to do it. I hate it. It's hard to make it interesting - I'm a player that thrives around players. Being alone gimps me in that I have a hard time defining myself when I'm not around people.

This may even be an actual me trait issue that I just need to work through, but what are some tips to just -break the dullness- of solo rping? Wishing up for staff to animate is something I do occasionally when I'm dying for interaction, but this is a touch and go sort of thing and I'm looking for a response that doesn't rely on that.

With one exception on one particular character I've never much liked solo rp either. So I don't do it.

I will say that solo rp is a little more interesting for me if I'm in a dangerous area. Probably something about  needing to stay alert making the environment more immersive. I dunno, maybe.

I'm curious though, why are you worried about making yourself like something you're not into? Is it important for a role you're interested in? Are you just jealous of people that do enjoy playing by themselves? Do you feel an overwhelming sense of inadequacy due to your lack of enjoyment of solo rp? Are you hoping there are pills for that?

I ask for feedback in my reports and it was mentioned that they'd like to see more solo-rp out of me, so I'm asking for ways to break how dull and boring it is to actually solo-rp.

I have to say I'm not much of a fan of solo RP myself, but I've gotten a lot better at it over the years. So from that perspective, here's stuff I do:

-- Don't do a lot of it. Log off the game and go do something else instead. Log back in later when there's someone to RP with. While you're logged off, write a bio and post it to the website. This will help you understand your PC better, which leads to...

-- Know who your PC is. This is critical. If you don't know who s/he is on an intimate level, how can you RP when they're alone? What is their personality like? Are they bored, lonely, worried, afraid? What are they thinking and feeling when they're alone?

-- Develop hobbies, habits, fears, and desires. Sometimes these might involve coded things, sometimes they might not. Go beyond the basics here, though. What does your PC enjoy doing outside his/her coded guild or job? What does your PC want to acquire? What kinds of habits must they perform? Do those things.

-- When you're doing a coded thing that is related to your PC's guild or IC job, how are you doing it? Both in terms of emotes and thinking/feeling. Why is your PC doing this thing? Maybe s/he is just trying to get better at it, and that's fine. But keep in mind that in most clans, "practice sessions" of anything only last a few IC hours. Maybe keep it similar for your PC if they don't have a clan schedule; even an elf doesn't sneak around the city all day, every day, trying to elf things :D

-- In general, answer all the W questions: Who, what, why, when, where, how?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

If you don't like to solo-rp you don't like it. If you want to solo-rp to make staff happy then I suppose you can just fake it until you make it(sounds like a quick way to burn out). Personally I couldn't care whether they enjoy watching me play when there's no one else around. I'm generally just logging in to make sure my skills aren't stagnant at that point anyways, and find myself more than happy to just get a single think or a feel out there. I usually only solo-rp heavily when I first make a character, to sort of get into the mindset and role before running into others. Otherwise I just couldn't be arsed.

If there's nobody else around this game isn't what it's meant to be, which is an interactive story with others. I suggest just logging out and doing something else if nobody is online to play with.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 29, 2014, 01:28:54 PM
If you don't like to solo-rp you don't like it. If you want to solo-rp to make staff happy then I suppose you can just fake it until you make it(sounds like a quick way to burn out). Personally I couldn't care whether they enjoy watching me play when there's no one else around. I'm generally just logging in to make sure my skills aren't stagnant at that point anyways, and find myself more than happy to just get a single think or a feel out there. I usually only solo-rp heavily when I first make a character, to sort of get into the mindset and role before running into others. Otherwise I just couldn't be arsed.

If there's nobody else around this game isn't what it's meant to be, which is an interactive story with others. I suggest just logging out and doing something else if nobody is online to play with.

You aren't helping. At all. I asked how to break the grind and make it interesting, not for you to tell me how much you don't like it and just don't do it.

I'm just giving you my perspective. I'm not here to hold your hand. If you "literally despise having to do it." Don't do it.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 29, 2014, 01:27:15 PM
I have to say I'm not much of a fan of solo RP myself, but I've gotten a lot better at it over the years. So from that perspective, here's stuff I do:

-- Don't do a lot of it. Log off the game and go do something else instead. Log back in later when there's someone to RP with. While you're logged off, write a bio and post it to the website. This will help you understand your PC better, which leads to...

-- Know who your PC is. This is critical. If you don't know who s/he is on an intimate level, how can you RP when they're alone? What is their personality like? Are they bored, lonely, worried, afraid? What are they thinking and feeling when they're alone?

-- Develop hobbies, habits, fears, and desires. Sometimes these might involve coded things, sometimes they might not. Go beyond the basics here, though. What does your PC enjoy doing outside his/her coded guild or job? What does your PC want to acquire? What kinds of habits must they perform? Do those things.

-- When you're doing a coded thing that is related to your PC's guild or IC job, how are you doing it? Both in terms of emotes and thinking/feeling. Why is your PC doing this thing? Maybe s/he is just trying to get better at it, and that's fine. But keep in mind that in most clans, "practice sessions" of anything only last a few IC hours. Maybe keep it similar for your PC if they don't have a clan schedule; even an elf doesn't sneak around the city all day, every day, trying to elf things :D

-- In general, answer all the W questions: Who, what, why, when, where, how?

You would think someone would know their character when they make it, but I guess there are times when I just react and don't seem to really know the why of it all. I think part of my issue is I probably let my primary fear of dying stop me from doing things without people around, which in turn leads to just... stagnation on my part. And sometimes I screw up and I break the docs a bit and then I wish I could go back and not do those things. All stuff I need to work on, but I'm trying.

Back onto solo RP. Bios are... tricky for me. I did them two or three times and I just don't know what's worth putting in a bio.

I really like to have other players to interact with, also. However, my play times mean that isn't always an option. Finding myself as the only player in public (or out of the way places) made me strive to find ways to entertain myself. I focused on creating relationships with the npcs and vnpcs in the areas I frequent (even if its only in my own head). I have rivalries and friendships with them that I attempt to animate myself, using thinks/feels/emotes to interact and really bring them to life to me. My triforce of all rp, including solo, love/funny/action. Love or hate, just get emotion into it. Do something to make them hate or love me. Do something I think is funny, but is likely to spark a counter response whether because they do/don't. Finally something actiony, breaking sh*t, faces, chases. Solo rp in many ways I try to think of as writing a story. Interacting with players is a joint experience, but writing your own story sometimes can also be rewarding. Did you really want to do something that other players got in the way of? Meet someone special or do something that you have control of. Have a whole romance with a vnpc all on your own.

Hope maybe that gives you some ideas, good luck and hope you have some more fun :)

One alternative might be that if you hate solo-roleplaying, don't solo-roleplay.  That is:  only be around other players when you do whatever it is you do.  Then, you are forced to interact with other players, and that might well up your A-game when it comes to roleplaying options.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to try something else, as roleplay is not optional.  There is certainly a choice you can make between solo RP and RP with others, but there's not really a "neither" option.  There are other suggestions on how to flesh out solo roleplay for whatever it is you're doing codedly that should be roleplayed instead of knocked out repeatedly by pressing the up arrow and enter key.

Past thread on solo-roleplay, 2006
Another thread on solo-roleplay, 2006 -- some suggestions here on things that help if you WANT to solo-RP in a different way/area
Solo RP, 2009
Solo RP Tips, 2014

There are probably other GDB resources from players offering ways to break up the tedium of other skill-based activities like sparring, crafting, or magicky stuff, too.  And you should--or, as suggested, only roleplay with other people when you're doing those things, so it isn't just you and your keyboard.  If it IS your thing or you get to where you like doing that, cool.  If you don't, find other people to roleplay with.  It'll make you a better roleplayer.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Wow, everything Nyr said, plus linkage. That came in as I was typing the below.

Quote from: Saellyn on September 29, 2014, 01:38:13 PM
You would think someone would know their character when they make it, but I guess there are times when I just react and don't seem to really know the why of it all.

To be honest, I think this is what most players do. And the outcome is that most of us, to a great extent, are left just playing ourselves instead of characters. Unless you are a trained actor, I suspect this is pretty easy to end up with! Everyone approaches character development from a different angle; I try to figure out a lot of stuff about my PC ahead of time, so that I start with definition and can roleplay from there. Others develop their PC on the fly in game. Sounds like you're that type? So, start from here with habits, likes/dislikes, fears, desires, hatreds, etc.

I think part of my issue is I probably let my primary fear of dying stop me from doing things without people around, which in turn leads to just... stagnation on my part. And sometimes I screw up and I break the docs a bit and then I wish I could go back and not do those things. All stuff I need to work on, but I'm trying.

Hey, I'm a big chicken too. It's OK. It's totally reasonable for Zalanthan to be afraid that if they go off by themselves, they will die. So do other stuff during your time alone.

Back onto solo RP. Bios are... tricky for me. I did them two or three times and I just don't know what's worth putting in a bio.

What do you want to remember about this PC when s/he is gone? That's what goes in your bios. If you don't care about remembering the PC beyond skills or acquisitions, maybe that's an issue. Experiences are what make the PC, IMO; and experiences are bio-worthy.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 20, 2006, 09:14:11 PM
When I'm doing a repetative solo activity I tend to think more than I emote.  There's only so many ways you can emote sewing or practicing the fart of doom spell, but there's tons of random things your character might think about while engaged in a menial, repetative task.

Okay, this is something I yanked out of that second thread link. This is kind of what I'm going for with my thread here, getting stuff like this out into the open.

Great topic.

I, too, generally hate solo-RP.  I also have gotten notes in the past where staff would like to see me do more.

Coincidentally, I've been trying to work on it a lot with my current character.  Some tips that I think have been working out for me:

1) Use the time to practice actions/mannerisms you may want to display in front of other characters some time.  Sometimes seeing them echo in the game may give you ideas on how to make them flow smoother or come up with variations.  Also, explicitly typing them out will probably help you remember and quickly input them later when you're being "live".

2) Have a conversation with your character.  Obviously you, the player, keep your end to yourself, but have the character reply with thinks/feels, and maybe if they're particularly crazy, say's.  Ask you character about their day, what they think about people they know, plans for the future, hopes, fears, or even just random stuff like favorite foods or what they'd do with 10,000 coins.  Also, emote your character's emotions during this conversation along with whatever action they're doing during this alone time.

[DISCLAIMER: Split your mind and personality at your own risk.  Marauder Moe is not responsible for any psychological trauma, therapy bills, or loss of sanity points as a result of conversing with your own fictional constructs.]

Do you use thinks and feels? I find they are invaluable in role playing and defining to yourself who your character is.
Something good, bad, happen between your PC and others? Think about it after, let your thoughts wander to the past or future.

QuoteYou would think someone would know their character when they make it, but I guess there are times when I just react and don't seem to really know the why of it all.

I don't know my characters so much nowadays when I make them, but I do write in maybe one fact of their past that has got them to where they are, and that defines them to some extent, until PC's or events impact them enough to change it. This is often a single fact out of my own  life, which makes it easier to go with instinct.

Role playing is roleplaying, in one sense there is no difference between solo and group.

Bios. I fail miserably to keep these up, but I'd like to write short stories on events that are worth crafting a chapter or a paragraph around.
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Often times when I'm solo RPing, I'm using it as a time to work things over in my character's mind in game. I'll sit down somewhere, set their ldesc to show they're doing something menial or repetitive, and then retreat in to thinks. Every once in awhile I'll make an emote that may betray some of what's going on in the character's mind. They might ruin a stitch, apply too much force to an object their shaping, or just stop as they get lost in their thoughts. Being able to 'emote' out your character's thought processes is one of the few things solo RP is good for.

For combat characters with access to training yards, I've also used solo-RP to test the wording and composition of combat emotes on imaginary foes. It makes sense for your character and it gets the wording "primed" in your head, so you can use it in an actual fight without too much thought.

I guess you can say that I use solo RP to reflect on and prepare myself for interacting with the rest of the game world. I didn't use to be a great fan of it (though my first account note was for it, ironically) and am still kind of ambivalent towards it, but I find it's utility to actually increase with the longer lived your characters are. A long-lived character is going to have a lot on their mind, as are you. Solo-RPing out their reflections can help get yourself back in alignment with your character's personality, whether it's the same thing as before or the evolution from where they began.

Quote from: Saellyn on September 29, 2014, 02:01:32 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 20, 2006, 09:14:11 PM
When I'm doing a repetative solo activity I tend to think more than I emote.  There's only so many ways you can emote sewing or practicing the fart of doom spell, but there's tons of random things your character might think about while engaged in a menial, repetative task.

Okay, this is something I yanked out of that second thread link. This is kind of what I'm going for with my thread here, getting stuff like this out into the open.

Here's some things I do:

Weather command to roleplay about how my character is enjoying or not enjoying it. Time command to orient myself in the day. Okay it's morning and it's cool out... hmm I guess my character wouldn't mind doing devotions, even thought they're not exactly a fanatic.

Looking for interesting ways to mold my thinks/feels together I tend to mix a body part with with an emotion, then tack on a think to describe. Irritation at the sweat dripping into your eyes.  Soreness from the saddle rubbing your thighs. + "Krath will this day ever end."

If I'm skilling up I usually think about my positioning, then emote that. Where I am in the room; should I be in a stance practicing strikes, or meditating practicing my barrier.

Filler thinks on fails and successes: Think *happy* Yes! I did it! Think *disappointed* Damn you're a fuckup.

If you're alone, and you know you're not likely to see anyone else, don't wait around for them. It's hard to make "waiting around" for someone interesting roleplay, and it's not realistic either. Our characters would go find something else to do, instead of sitting in a bar for hours on end hoping someone will come by.

I think of my characters job. What should they be doing? Then I'll go find some way to make that interesting for me, whether it be developing a new mastercraft I won't even be able to make for a couple IC years because my skills aren't high enough, or writing a new song for my bard despite not having an audience yet. Or if they're a hunter/warrior it would be developing a new two-handed fighting style (even if my PC is hardly beyond apprentice swordsman, it's still fun and interesting) or thinking of the best poison to hunt for each different animal(maybe the best mix of poisons).

September 29, 2014, 02:40:59 PM #16 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:43:27 PM by CodeMaster
I am going to be stealing some of the ideas in this thread... here are mine:

I've scripted some client-sides "games" to direct my solo RP.  The simplest example is I can type '?feel' and it will set my character's mood/feels to one of about ten options apropos biographical information (kind of like spice effects) and I can launch a think or a mumble from there.

Likewise I have a couple scripts to input one of about about 15--20 flavor emotes for very simple, repetitive behavior my character is doing every day.  (This seems like a good number; if I were writing these emotes by hand, I'd probably repeat phrasing more often than these emotes do).

Similarly I walk my characters around a lot.  I have my client set to scrape the result of a directions query and pipe it back to the MUD.  If you define some location as near your character's childhood home and think something like "Ah, home", I think you're going a long way.  Then you can walk your way back to the tavern, or take the long way home, etc.

Edit: I'll add that, while the above might sound a bit cheesy to some of you, it's made my play logs quite enjoyable to skim through - like little stories.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Hey RGS: For not liking solo RP and refusing to do it, that's some pretty good stuff you got there :D

We all tend to feel and think as people playing our PCs -- I tend to just regurgitate what I thought/felt when things happen to my PC, or follow lines of thought that I think they would have. It's usually only 1-3 at a time, and when I feel like it. I catch myself thinking something and just >think that thing again in game.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 29, 2014, 02:42:46 PM
Hey RGS: For not liking solo RP and refusing to do it, that's some pretty good stuff you got there :D

Well, this is all advice that works for roleplay in general. The only difference between RP and solo RP is how big my audience is. My desire to entertain goes down when I'm the only person(who isn't hidden, or staff) around. That said sometimes I just hit a stride, start firing on all cylinders, and basically just crap excellence. In those moments it doesn't matter who's around because my role-play is entertaining me.

It's hard to say what gets me into those moments. Usually it's bouncing RP off of someone else who's hitting their stride. But sometimes it's a book I just read, or a song I just heard. Sometimes it's reading old logs, or going to the original submissions page to get some ideas. It just sort of clicks, and I get excited to try something out in-game thinking "how can I mold this idea to my character". A lot of the time that requires others, but sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't.

Quote from: CodeMaster on September 29, 2014, 02:40:59 PM
I am going to be stealing some of the ideas in this thread... here are mine:

I've scripted some client-sides "games" to direct my solo RP.  The simplest example is I can type '?feel' and it will set my character's mood/feels to one of about ten options apropos biographical information (kind of like spice effects) and I can launch a think or a mumble from there.

Likewise I have a couple scripts to input one of about about 15--20 flavor emotes for very simple, repetitive behavior my character is doing every day.  (This seems like a good number; if I were writing these emotes by hand, I'd probably repeat phrasing more often than these emotes do).

Similarly I walk my characters around a lot.  I have my client set to scrape the result of a directions query and pipe it back to the MUD.  If you define some location as near your character's childhood home and think something like "Ah, home", I think you're going a long way.  Then you can walk your way back to the tavern, or take the long way home, etc.

Edit: I'll add that, while the above might sound a bit cheesy to some of you, it's made my play logs quite enjoyable to skim through - like little stories.

I...don't...wow.

That's really taking solo rp to a whole new level!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Hello all!

Wanted to jump in here. Although been away still have had various other RPing endevors on my plate.

I too hate solo RP, and although if I can't find I sometimes think logging off is actually just has detrimental to the game. Considering maybe five minutes down someone else logs and can't find anyone and logs out themself.

Reading from CodeMaster there, and a few other posts, I have found that coming up with repetitions of my characters have helped flesh them out surprisingly. I've mostly been a combat oriented player, I try to come up with a 'fighting style' for my character, usually developed in the sparring ring of one sort or another. Mixing in stock actions into reactions to others tends to streamline the process, and I think consistency helps get a feel that my character is a person.

I thinks are also a good way sometimes to have your character "talk" to themselves, sometimes just focusing on a speech pattern that'll become consistant.

Mostly I'd aim on really slow days or even just try to introduce yourself to it, ldesc help great for when people come in, and it doesn't have to be extreme and look busy like the gaj, IMO an emote or think every few minutes goes a long ways.

Things that I can think of ... Have way conversations iwth your VNPC family/friends. Interacting with vitural enviroments is a way to feel less like I'm playing with myself and more about engaging the world and enviroment.

Just a few thoughts. And hopefully something in my old way of thinking isn't frowned upon now of days.
21sters Unite!

I think one thing that helps me a lot (pending the character) is to be truly alone.

People don't tend to show their true nature around others they don't know. Your characters are probably the same. If you're sitting alone in the bar, their primary desire is probably just to blend in, so they sit there like a bump on a log.

When people are truly alone, however (ie in a room by themselves) that is when the subconscious feels secure enough to start dumping emotions for processing (or something like that), so you may find it conducive to your character's solo RP to get them alone, and see how their personality fills the empty space.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

September 29, 2014, 04:52:01 PM #23 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:56:57 PM by Harmless
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 29, 2014, 02:11:30 PM
2) Have a conversation with your character.  Obviously you, the player, keep your end to yourself, but have the character reply with thinks/feels, and maybe if they're particularly crazy, say's.  Ask you character about their day, what they think about people they know, plans for the future, hopes, fears, or even just random stuff like favorite foods or what they'd do with 10,000 coins.  Also, emote your character's emotions during this conversation along with whatever action they're doing during this alone time.

[DISCLAIMER: Split your mind and personality at your own risk.  Marauder Moe is not responsible for any psychological trauma, therapy bills, or loss of sanity points as a result of conversing with your own fictional constructs.]

I really like this suggestion. I could definitely see myself going into one of the totally empty taverns of the Known with a PC and just pretend I'm animating the bartender or some other NPC in there.

Discuss is one of my favorite commands. Even just the name one, for every NPC, gives so much power. (I use discuss a lot.)

Marauder Moe, as always, you have some cool ideas for roleplay.

On topic, I too have difficulty with solo-RP. Dangerous situations often spur me to do a lot of it, as was said. The early phase of a character always has more of it. Then there's times my characters have a certain project that I can attend to -- keeping an apartment is a huge help for my solo RP. But, usually, I take a look around for people, feel for minds on the Way, maybe practice one skill or two, and then consider logging off to do other shit I need to do or to write a bio/report.

On bios: lately I have gotten in the practice of putting different types of bio entries. If my character makes up a song or poem, I will try to store it as a bio entry (if it's worth the permanence of it, which is rare). Frequently, I will make a bio entry that is a short and concise memory/opinion on one of their contacts, so that eventually I can type "bio" and see a bunch of names of the VIPs for my character. Sometimes I bio entry when completely alone and idle to just brainstorm things for my character to try to do. There's a lot of uses for it.

I wonder. Can you delete bio entries? Sometimes they get outdated.

Quote from: James de Monet on September 29, 2014, 03:53:59 PM
I think one thing that helps me a lot (pending the character) is to be truly alone.

People don't tend to show their true nature around others they don't know. Your characters are probably the same. If you're sitting alone in the bar, their primary desire is probably just to blend in, so they sit there like a bump on a log.

When people are truly alone, however (ie in a room by themselves) that is when the subconscious feels secure enough to start dumping emotions for processing (or something like that), so you may find it conducive to your character's solo RP to get them alone, and see how their personality fills the empty space.

This is a really good one too. Once I took an elf and had him climb up to some ridiculously high point with a cool room mdesc. Was a good time for getting into the mindset of that character. He was a Sekh. Wish I knew more of what I was doing to give that character the badass lifespan he deserved.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

September 29, 2014, 06:48:22 PM #24 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:51:06 PM by Inks
Yeah you can delete bio entries. Good if you stuff them up somehow.

On topic thinks and feels are pretty good for solo RP. As is whisper me.  I actually have a solo RP positive account note from when I played a religious fanatic type fellow.